• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: role model

[QUOTE=mrs. westcoast;91637
    Engleski mi nije prvi jezik
    English isn't my primary language[/QUOTE]

I think you're doing great. Much better than a large number of people who were born here.
    Jack

Comment

O sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean it in a negative way.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
        O sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean it in a negative way.
        You didn't offended me Aaron.

I was just kidding

Comment

Zeljka,

Had you asked me the question at 24-years old it would have been easy as my exposure to others was some what limited. However, now at 54-years old I think it is more about who has influenced my life then who was my role-model. My parents are probably a shoe-in as role models as they raised me. Brenda is the one I admire the most because of her motherly compassion and strength. Someday when we have more time I will tell you the story about her breaking up a fight she saw while driving down the street between a 50-year old man with a bat and a couple of High School kids.

Now getting into who has influenced me I would have to say everyone I have ever met (including you guys). I am just as thankful for those who I saw as positive influences as I am those I saw as a negative influence (sorry Rick)…..(just kidding). I believe we take a little piece of everyone we meet with us and that’s what makes us who we are. I also believe we should leave a little of who we are with everyone we meet.

Sometimes we have things happen which we may let go by if we are not paying attention. As some may know I ended up in a wheel chair for six months after a bad ladder accident. I had a broken leg and shoulder so even maneuvering the wheel chair was tough. One weekend I attended a rally for my motorcycle club which was held at the Airport Radisson in Santa Maria which just happened to be hosting a “War Birds” air show the same weekend. The place was full of excitement and a mix of leather clad bikers and WWII Veterans in their original uniforms.

When I left the party that night I needed to take the elevator upstairs to get to my room. Brenda was still visiting with our friends and their new baby so I braved it on my own. I sat there wondering how I was going to make it to my room while I waited for the elevator. When the doors to the elevators opened I was staring eye-to-eye with two of the original Tuskegee Airman. They exited the elevator and pushed me in then made sure I made it to my room. I was truly humbled at that fact that these men who suffered through such adversity to accomplish such greatness would take the time to help someone they did not know. I did not know these men but I knew enough about their story to know nothing I could ever have happen to me would match what they had to endure yet they achieved greatness to a magnitude most of us will never understand.

Mark
          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 09-03-2007, 07:37 PM.
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            I'd have to say Rick-----just kidding, I'm sorry Rick, I couldn't resist. Seriously, I've always looked at people and their qualities and tried to emulate the qualities and not the person.
            And of course Mark who is the eternal diplomat here. Garager who after 31

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            And Rick who knows having the right tool for the job and charging a fair price for using it can earn respect and loyalty from your customer base.
            Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            And that goes for my fellow forum members.This forum has changed my outlook on my future in the industry.It has broadend my information network which words fail me to describe.It has strengthend my desire to hold integrity.Thank-you all
            Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            Now getting into who has influenced me I would have to say everyone I have ever met (including you guys). I am just as thankful for those who I saw as positive influences as I am those I saw as a negative influence (sorry Rick)…..(just kidding).
            Mark
            i guess it's a love, hate relationship here

they say all publicity is good publicity

now that i see what is going on here and from last nights chat, i will have to rethink my response.

well there's still freddy and tieger to break the tie

josh, help me

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Chris Gardner

Do a websearch if you don't know who he is.
              I admit he is a recent role model to me, but knowing his story puts my worst day to shame.
              (Plumberscrack...there)

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                Chris Gardner

Do a websearch if you don't know who he is.
                I admit he is a recent role model to me, but knowing his story puts my worst day to shame.
                (Plumberscrack...there)
                I had never heard of him before the Will Smith and Thandie Newton movie....good choice

Comment

I went to a conference where he spoke. He is an amazing speaker, very personable.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

My role models have been a combination of men I wanted to be like and men I wanted to be nothing like. I took things like being a faithful husband and caring father from my Dad and after watching some of my cousins ruin their lives over drugs avoided that element in my life. As I got to be around more grown men through my work I took the good stuff like being alert in what I did, watching out for the safety of others and always offering to help even if I was finished with my specific task. I avoided the pitfalls of drinking and hurting myself or anybody else. I wouldn't call actors role models but they do say some useful stuff. When CLint Eastwood as Dirty Harry said " A Man's Got To Know His Limitations", I understood that while I could admire the bravery of certain men such as Firefighters and Policemen, sometimes just being the best person you can be is enough to those around you. Like it or not we are all role models to someone, people observe our behavior and they either take a part of it for themselves or hope to avoid some part of it. I think it's easier nowadays to be a good person. We have plenty of tv shows, personalities, books and movies telling us how to be good parents, husbands, co-workers. We can't play stupid and say we didn't know any better, so I'm doing my best to catch myself when ever I can and be a good role model.

Comment

Working...
                    X