X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• role model

Who is/was your role model now or when you were growing up?

Who do you look up too?

Who did you wanted to be like?

Why is/are they your role model?

Do you think you changed in some period in your life and become your role model?

Re: role model

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post

Who do you look up too?

Who did you wanted to be like?

Do you think you changed in some period in your life and become your role model?

I never had a "Role Model" growing. Sure i wanted to be like my dad, in some ways. When i was young, I never saw my dad. He was a car detailer. He would work from 6am to 8pm Mon thru Sat. Then he would take our cars on Sunday and spend all day washing our own cars. When he got home, he would go to sleep. Not seeing him at all, of course i wanted to work with my dad when i got older.

As i got older i realized how hard my dad had worked in his life. It was the only thing i knew really from him. So naturally my 1st job was working with him at age 16 at the car lot. Working with him never worked out, for personal reasons. I never knew anyone who worked as hard as he did, or put in the hours he did. I was 16 and just got my license. I didnt want to be him then.

Anyway when i met my wife, I had just got out of school. She had a daughter already, and i was young with no responsibility. She was the girl for me though. We got married 8 months later. With being married, and having a daughter , which i adopted, life hit me right away. I went from being a party animal, to a husband and father. My wife is a Nurse at a Hospital. She is very dedicated at what she does. It made me jealous that she was so dedicated at her job.

When i got into drain cleaning, i went to work for acouple brothers who owned a sewer cleaning business. The oldest brother meant business, the 2nd oldest i didnt really know to much, and the youngest brother was more my age, so you pal'd around with him. He was more of a friend or coworker then a boss. The oldest brother knew his stuff, very disciplined. He worked on jets in the Air Force. He ran a very tight ship at the office. You never got personal with him, he wouldnt let you...Anyway i know this long, but after watching him for the 6yrs that i was with this company, i thought..This is exactly how i would want to run my business. His company went from 4 vans 4 employees and working out of a shack the 1st yr i was there, to 8 Super Sewer Trucks (Box Trucks) 1 plumbing box truck, 2 excavation crews, 10 guys on the road, and a huge office.

Moral of the story... My role models in life

My dad, for his hard work ethics
    My Wife, for her love of her job, and they way she treated others
    My exboss, for his business methods, the way he handled employees, to his vision in business, and his dedication to his company.

I love my wife, and my dad, but my exboss i will never forget. I take all his ethics, knowledge that he has given to me and use it at my business, i will never forget him.
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Wow Greg,

First of all thank you for being a man and post first

It is a very emotional story..good writing..

I will see if i can get some more manly plumbers to post theirs

Comment

Wow Greg,

First of all thank you for being a man and post first

It is a very emotional story..good writing..

I will see if i can get some more manly plumbers to post theirs

Im not a wimp LOL, just in a typing mood
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I'd have to say Rick-----just kidding, I'm sorry Rick, I couldn't resist. Seriously, I've always looked at people and their qualities and tried to emulate the qualities and not the person.

I did have 4 people who influenced me the most:
          -My dad who is the opposite of me; He's tactful, levelheaded and thinks with his head. He always put himself second to the family and sacrificed himself to make ends meet. He never broke a promise and did the best he could for us kids. He was mostly self taught in everything he did.

-Robbie Kendrick was my mechanic when I started doing AC. He had the best work ethic I've ever seen and always got the job done right. He taught me alot about working in horrid conditions. He always stood up for what was right and never allowed his judgement to be swayed.

-Jimmy Pierce was a Navy Chief who was interesting because he got the job done his way and not by being an a$$hole which is leadership style of the Navy. He never led from the rear. He would be right there up front helping you out. If he told you to do something, he would be right along side you. He also helped me out in the desert. That's another story.

-David Garcia was my LPO in Guam who always wanted others around him to succeed and he gave them the tools to do so. You always felt bad after he chewed you out because you felt like you dissapointed him. He had this natural talent for bringing out the best in people. He was the posterchild of what a Seabee should be.

This is the very condensed version of these people and my writing does them no justice. I've been very close to thousands of people from all walks of life and have learned one thing or another from them all to improve myself.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

My role model has always been my mom..taught me everything what to expect in the life..

Her role model was lady Di

Comment

mine is a little different
              it is my farther
              and i like it that he did a lot of wrong things in his life drink to much ,divorce, hit his kids ,cheat on his wife ,pick a fight with a state trooper ,got kicked out of a union after 32 yrs ,said i would be a failure and never make it in the real world and a lot more .
              so he was the role model i did not want to be .
              i have a wife for 19 yrs, two teenage girls .a house with a couple yrs left to pay for,2 cars 1 truck ,a good job ,lots of good friends and my happiness that i beat his goals in life
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

My Dad was a hardworker, and I certainly looked up to him with great respect, but he was too often a short-tempered and angry man. He was certainly never abusive to any of us, but he seemed angry at the whole world at times. My mother was more sick than not, sometimes real, but also too often imagined. Life at home had too many sad times and while I admired my Dad for his strength of character and his hard work, I knew I didn't want to repeat that kind of life.

As I grew I found a lot of character traits in books, mostly history. I also looked at people that I met, friends, their families and just people in general. I can't say that I really wanted to be exactly like any of them, but I paid attention and developed respect for certain characteristics.

I also found it was easier to learn from the misfortunes and character failings of people than it was to learn from people who were successful. I guess the traits are easier to spot. Knowing someone who is successful and a great person is one thing, but you can't learn all that goes into making that person what they are, much less emulate it. I could however, easily recognize the things I disliked, and take steps to ensure that I would not be like that.

In consideration of all the people that have passed through my days, the greatest influence of all has been my wife. Certainly she is the strongest and most decent person I have ever known. We don't always agree, and she certainly is not always right, but she has always been a steadfast guide for me. I've done a lot of growing up in the forty years of our marriage. I've also learned that the best that I can be is not just for myself, but for her, and our family.

CWS

Comment

My role models were and are my Father and my Mothers youngest brother (10yrs. older than me).
                  Dad taught me right from wrong and hoped some of the lessons soaked through. He taught me how to do things and how to think on my own. He taught me how to learn.
                  My uncle taught me how to treat other people. His motto, as far back as I can remember, was "You can repay me by helping the next guy". That stuck with me.
                  An entry by CWSmith is stated perfectly, so I'll borrow it;

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                  As I grew I found a lot of character traits in books, mostly history. I also looked at people that I met, friends, their families and just people in general. I can't say that I really wanted to be exactly like any of them, but I paid attention and developed respect for certain characteristics.CWS
                  I hope to be a role model for my son. I want him to be able to expand upon my good traits, and learn from and avoid the bad. In summary, I want what every good parent wants- I want my childs life to be better than mine.

Jack
                  ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Excellent thread Zeljka

Good to see some of the guys 'cowboy up' and post their feelings.

This is an emotional topic for me so stop me if I start to blubber.

Dad died when I was 12 and being the youngest of 7 kids my older bothers didn't want to spend time with 'little' Billy Most were boozers, womanizers and drug addicts. Those that are still alive haven't changed any. There were a few neighbors and extended family members that tried to reach out to me early on but I found it better that I make my way alone. I didn't need to follow a path that someone else had made for me. Sure I got lost a few times on the path of life in my late teens and early 20's. I'm not proud of it but mistakes make me who I am. Like CWSmith posted I learned from watching others failures and accomplishments.

That's why I come here to the Ridgid forum. To learn from everyone here. You all are my heroes. Wait, I need another tissue.............

Like Robert for instance, wish I had his ambition.....People say I am not motivated enough. It's not that I'm lazy, just tired And Rick who knows having the right tool for the job and charging a fair price for using it can earn respect and loyalty from your customer base. And of course Mark who is the eternal diplomat here. Garager who after 31 years with an addition to nicotine has the courage now to walk away from it. Never been a smoker but I have seen it take the lives of many strong willed people who couldn't kick it. Plumbdog, what can I say......he speaks his mind. Some of you might find what comes out offensive and boorish. I only know him through what he writes here but I'm sure he runs a tight ship and wouldn't hesitate to work and learn under him.

As for me I'm not ready to be anyone's mentor. I haven't the patients or knowlege yet......but getting there

Comment

Thank you all for sharing..

Now Rick,Adam,Mark,plumdog,duckbutter, let's go...

Comment

Wow, this is where you get to know people....
                        Thanks PC....
                        I didn't have a role model either, when I was growing up. I was too doped up to even think about a role model. Started real early in life, then the day my dad had to read me my rights was the day I woke up. Spent some time in jail, had a lot of thinking to do. So in my case not so much of a role model but a change in my life. Stopped taking drugs some 20 yrs ago after being on many stuff for about 12 yrs.
                        I think I can credit my father for my calmness and level headed these days. My brother in law taught me the working aspect of life, and I thank him for that.
                        My wife, who is just incredible, she has been there with me through thick and thin. Just like she is right now, with the smoking change.
                        I always wanted to have my own business, even though it is considered small, its all mine and it'll be 20 yrs pretty soon.
                        I made my own path, I would have to say but there were quite a few obstacles along the way.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Thank you all for sharing..

Now Rick,Adam,Mark,plumdog,duckbutter, let's go...

OOOHHHH,I see how it is.A little favoritism towards ROBBIE?
                          Don't forget to remind POOKIE to put sunscreen on his pretty unprotected head today

Forget the song and dance about the parents,all I can say is it is a phenominon How for some people they can go from All about me parent to All About me adult-child overnight.So the good lord blesses some with challenge,and as I can tell those same some(sounds like a Neil Diamond song) have turned out alot stronger and here on the forum with us.

I can only say with all my heart that I am thankfull to the people that made an immpression on me to emulate the qualities that I admired in them.

And that goes for my fellow forum members.This forum has changed my outlook on my future in the industry.It has broadend my information network which words fail me to describe.It has strengthend my desire to hold integrity.Thank-you all

No need for much more,the rest is babble.But this is pretty much the core for me.

Comment

I don't really have a role model currently, but many who I look up too greatly and admire the time I spend talking/chatting with them, even if it is only a brief period of time.

Growing up, well lol I still am, but I'd have to say have my grandfather and my dad. My grandfather was a carpenter and worked countless years in a steel mill(Pittsburgh, PA) and my dad just has a mass amount of knowledge across the board for construction, and owned his own home inspection business.

Who do you look up too?

I look up to pretty much anyone who turns a wrench for a living, and anyone that gives respect to others and has class to them. Also EMTs and Fire Fighters hands down. They have to see people in the sometimes the worst possible situations and work their hardest and hopefully turn that situation around.

Who did you wanted to be like? **want**

Um I guess you could say my first boss. He was like me, dropped out young, and really made something of himself. He pushed me, at times to work 80 hours a week, then I hated it, now I can't thank him enough for it. He pushed me to further my education in plumbing, and I took his advice and now am going for my GED(waiting on test date currently) then applying for my local plumbers union.

He is/was my role model due to like I just said, he dropped out young and really made something of himself, and showed me I can do the same.

I guess you could say so. He'd give me positive talks(sometimes it's the only thing that kept me going), and now I do the same to others.
                            Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

[quote=Aaron91;91628]
                              Who did you wanted to be like? **want**

Engleski mi nije prvi jezik

English isn't my primary language

Comment

Working...
                              X