Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mexican trucking

Mexico's trucks get OK to roll in US next week

how do you all feel about this? i have mixed feelings mostly bad, but i just wonder if i am being just alittle to quick to judge this.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: mexican trucking

The few times I have been to Mexico nothing has left a favorable impression. I have never been to any of the resort areas, generally areas within a few miles of the border. My concerns would be one of safety and pay scale. If the trucks comply with our safety requirements well...OK. What we don't need are drivers willing to work for far less than US drivers are paid.

In the northeast we have kind of a reverse circumstance. The Canadian drivers are hired by Canadian companies and are paid in Canadian dollars. There is, or at least was, a significant difference between the Canadian dollar and the US dollar. These long haul drivers have to pay for food and whatever at US dollar rates when they are here which, when translated into their Canadian dollars, costs more. The Canadian trucks all seem to be fairly new and in good shape so I suspect they are in compliance US safety standards.

Comment

"If the trucks comply with our safety requirements well...OK. What we don't need are drivers willing to work for far less than US drivers are paid."

Unfortunately this is exactly what I believe we will get out of this...
      Broken down trucks that don't meet US DOT standards and drivers who will not have to comply with DOT or ICC regulations as to driver training, work hours, competency, etc.

They tried this many years ago, but there was such an uproar that it did not pass. Thanks to that stooge Bush it looks like he has managed to push this through this time.

I was listening to NPR yesterday afternoon and they were remarking about Miss South Carolina answering a question during the recent Miss Teen USA contest ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3iN...related&search= ) . They said Karl Rove is going run her campaign as the next candidate for Governor or Texas.

Karl Rove gets his start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM0zJl9Bxk8

Bush vs Miss South Carolina, whose the bestest talker of them all.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WbOU...related&search=
      Last edited by Bob D.; 09-02-2007, 06:43 AM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

I think it's CRAZY. A one year pilot program involving 40 trucks maybe more later. I bet the "maybe more" will come in during the last couple months so they can claim they had well over 100 trucks take part in this program and it all went off with out a hitch. A 100 or so trucks during the first year will be easily maintained but what happens when this deal is here for good? 1000's of trucks will be a different story and, once they take out a bus load of kids, Americans will be in an uproar but, it will be too late to get those trucks off our roads.
        Under this deal will they be able to drop off in N.Y. and pick up another load there and deliver to Ohio then pick up a load in Ohio and deliver to Calf. and then go back to Mexico for another round? Or just come into U.S drop off and go back to Mexico Hauling air?

My wife and I were discussing N.F.T.A. last night and We couldn't remember for sure if Bush Sr. or Clinton was in office when this was passed. We were thinking Bush. Is that correct?
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I just found this on the Federal DOT site:

http://www.dot.gov/affairs/cbtsip/index.htm
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

NAFTA passed in 1994 with Clinton pushing it through but was originally proposed by Bush Sr. at the end of his term.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              NAFTA passed in 1994 with Clinton pushing it through but was originally proposed by Bush Sr. at the end of his term.

Mark
              Thanks Mark.
              Pretty crazy to think even one President thought N.A.F.T.A. was a good idea. I guess its hard to think of the workin' man when your sitting on a $500,000 yacht or something.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

So I guess the trucking industry is going where the plumbing trade is going, down the toilet, no pun intended.

The trucks on the docks are already there, the local trucking industry has already taken the dump, I guess it will just be a national thing now.
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

From Bob Ds link:
                  “Today's announcement is another sign of the strength of the U.S.-Mexico relationship and a further step towards making our economies globally competitive, promoting mutual economic growth and prosperity while continuing to protect the safety of our borders,” said Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez

Making OUR ECONOMIES globally competitive? Mutual economic growth?
                  So far it appears one sided to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    From Bob Ds link:
                    “Today's announcement is another sign of the strength of the U.S.-Mexico relationship and a further step towards making our economies globally competitive, promoting mutual economic growth and prosperity while continuing to protect the safety of our borders,” said Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez

Making OUR ECONOMIES globally competitive? Mutual economic growth?
                    So far it appears one sided to me.

I agree, what can they do for us other then continue to destroy our labor market.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Actually, wasn't NAFTA started under the Bush Sr. administration and then pushed through by the Republican-dominated Congress. I think in the end, Clinton signed it, but I don't recall him "pushing it through".

If you think the Mexican truck thing is bad, have any of you seen the Republican proposal in Texas to build a massive highway system from the Mexican border up through Texas an into Oklahoma? The thing was proposed last year, will cost several hundred Million$$ and will even have a rail system down the middle of it. (I'll have to find the article that was in the Times several months ago.)

IMO, this Mexican thing is getting way out of hand. It's bad enough that we can't pick up any product, or the phone, for that matter, without getting clobbered with Spanish. Next thing you know, all the highway signs will have to printed in Spanish too. Makes me wonder how in he!! the Irish, Italian, Polish, and German immigrants ever made it in this country having to struggle with English. One might think that Hispanic population is getting some real extra special treatment, and everyone that is already here is taking it in the neck to accomodate what appears to be their lack of ability or willingness to adapt.

CWS

Comment

As I recall Clinton was always the ultimate moderate and it was often hard to tell which side he was on. That was one of the few things I liked about him and it is a value I wish every President had.

When I am hired as a neutral expert I know I am doing my job when both sides hate me. That is how Clinton started out he never really pulled the party line but was somewhere in the middle.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ok i was having the same feelings as most of you but i just didn't want to come off seeming judge mentel
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

And what about insurance? What happens when one of these trucks from Mexico is involved in a wreck? Are they required to carry insurance from an American company? Wonder what it is like dealing with Mexican insurance company? When calling them, does the first thing the automated system says is press 1 for english....

Comment

I have mixed opinions about it..cannot decide so i won't post it

Comment

Working...
                              X