Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's Your Favorite Place To Eat

Zeljka or Joey

Ever eat any "German Trucker Home Fries"? No, they won't make you sick or fat (unless you eat too many of them). Working guys love them with eggs, toast and meat for breakfast.
    Last edited by Woussko; 09-08-2007, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Never even heard of them,but I have eaten at that diner in MD you were talking about earlier.

What are they? Just potatoes?

Greg, we have McCormick and Schmit out here too. It is good seafood. Our one Charthouse isn't as good as it was years ago.

For a good steak we go to Ruth's Chris steakhouse. We have local favorites too that only the L.A. folk would know about. I ship y brother food from them all the time.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

A chinese resturant in Rota, Spain called Shanghai. Best food ever and the waiter remembered what you ordered 2 years ago(I'm not kidding). In the states, it's a local chinese resturant called Dynasty. They have all you can eat sushi. They lose money when I show up. I get my 7 bucks worth!
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

We have Ruth's Chris Steakhouse here near Washington DC too. A bit too snooty (one near me) for my liking.

The home fries I'm talking about are pan fried with some real butter, fine chopped white onion (any type you like) and some fine chopped green bell pepper. Now if you feel like being bad you add some dried well done bacon that you crumble up to them. I use Russet potatoes that I back about 3/4 done and then cut up to make the home fries.

Note: Woussko is not a German Truck Driver, but I know a truck stop run by a German family and that's where they know how to really make them. I stood and watched a time or two. Now I can make my own, only I hate cooking.

Joey, When you ate at Tastee Diner do you remember the street it was on? I doubt you would have been to the old Silver Spring location unless you were either pretty young or you hide you age very well. They have been around for a good long time in Bethesda and Laurel too. Those locations are today pretty sad dumps. The Silver Spring one where it is now is not bad at all. Us regulars get to know the servers and they tell us what to get that day or night and what not to order.
          Last edited by Woussko; 09-08-2007, 09:40 PM.

Comment

WARNING TO ALL

If any of you are in the south central part of PA and happen to find a place along a country road out in the middle of nowhere called Dunger's Diner, take off fast with wheels spinning. That place has worse food than a prison would have. I'll gladly eat dog chow over their ****** food. My bet is they are long gone now, but just in case....

Comment

I was nine years old and I am 32 now so 23 years ago. My brother got his PhD at the naval hospital in Bethesda.

My junior year of high school I spent the summer at Georgetown and went back.

But nope. . . I don't know the street.

We have those potatoes here to we just call them home fries. So I have had them.
              Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 09-09-2007, 12:48 AM.
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

my all time favorite burger is located in jackson hole wy. "billy burgers" are the best. i once ate there 5 days in a row.

my local burger place is the "apple pan" in west l.a. it's been around since the late 20's. the guys that work the counter have 20-30 years each.

first come first serve. standing room only. best fries too, double dipped/ extra crispy. drinks are served in "snow cone cups".

real apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

i gotta go now

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Joey

Was this the Tastee Diner of Bethesda that's not all that far from Navy Medical and NIH or the one over in Silver Spring? By the way anymore NM and NIH are under super armed MP guard. I remember when about anyone could just go in. NO more

I will say this much. If you ever came back you wouldn't think you were in the same place. Anymore it looks far too much like downtown NYC. Being a native and a good bit older, I remember farms not all that far. I'm sure at some time you were on "The Hellway" which is I-495. I remember all too well the days when it wasn't there.

As for the home fries some good steakhouses make them up about the same way. Most places here just fry up the taters and don't add the goodies to them. One place I go to now and then calls potato pancakes "Home Fries" as it's run by people that until a few years ago had no idea what a potato was like at all. They also thought a hamburger must be made out of ham. I have made burger patties out of ground ham, but they just didn't seem right to me when cooked.

Look out everyone this thread will soon be the new Cooking Zone.

Hey Rick, Hot apple pie just out of the oven with home made vanilla ice cream.... Um Um Gooooood.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM.

Comment

It was in Silver Springs. . .it was the first place my brother lived when he got there. It wasn't Navy Medical.I think it was a different place. He went to the Uniform Services University of the Health Sciences. Maybe it's the same. . .itis where the Pres. goes if he gets sick while on DC. It's been a while.

I still remember he stepped onto the threshold of a freight elevator as it dropped 2 floors. It took almost 2 days for my mom to find her civilian son in the naval hospital.

The only problem with applepan is that there is no a/c, just ceiling fans. In the summer it's miserable. Rick, it's almost time to go back They have good patty melts.
                    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Small world RIck, I too have eaten a Billy Burgers in Jackson Hole, WY.

I have only been to Jackson Hole maybe 3 times, but I always make time to go there. Its great.

Other than that, My favorite restaurant would be the Steam Room Grille in Jackson, MS. Best Seafood (Lobster) around. Not cheap, but damn good.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                      X