Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• senator john glen, copyed from another fourm i belong to

WHAT SENATOR JOHN GLENN SAID :
    Things that make you think a little:

There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq in January.

In the fair city of Detroit there were 35 murders in the Month of January. That's just one American city, About as deadly as the entire war-torn country of Iraq

When some claim that President Bush shouldn't Have started this war, state the following:

A. FDR led us into World War II .

B. Germany never attacked us ; Japan did.From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost . .An average of 112,500 per year.

C. Truman finished that war and started one in Korea . North Korea never attacked us.From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost ... An average of 18,334 per year.

D. John F. Kennedy started the Vietnam conflict in 1962. Vietnam never attacked us .

E. Johnson turned Vietnam into a quagmire.From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost .An average of 5,800 per year.

F. Clinton went to war in Bosnia without UN or French consent. Bosnia never attacked us .He was offered Osama bin Laden's head on a platter three Times by Sudan and did nothing. Osama has attacked us on Multiple occasions.

G. In the years since terrorists att acked us , President Bush Has liberated two countries, crushed the Taliban, crippled Al-Qaida, put nuclear inspectors in Libya, Iran, and North Korea without firing a shot, and captured a terrorist who Slaughtered 300,000 of his own people.

The Democrats are complaining About how long the war is taking

But It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno To take the Branch Davidian compound.That was a 51-day operation.

We've been looking for evidence for chemical weapons In Iraq for less time than it took Hillary Clinton to find The Rose Law Firm billing records.

It took less time for the 3rd Infantry Division and the Marines to destroy the Medina Republican Guard Than it took Ted Kennedy to call the police after his Oldsmobile sank at Chappaquiddick

It took less time to take Iraq than it took To count the votes in Florida !!!!

Our Commander-In- Chief is doing a HARD JOB !

The Military morale is high!

The biased media hopes we are too ignorant To realize the facts

But Wait there's more!

JOHN GLENN (ON THE SENATE FLOOR)

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:13

Some people still don't understand why military personnel Do what they do for a living. This exchange between Senators John Glenn and Senator Howard Metzenbaum Is worth reading. Not only is it a pretty impressive Impromptu speech, but it's also a good example of one man's explanation of why men and women in the armed Services do what they do for a living

This IS a typical, though sad, example of what Some who have never served think of the military.

Senator Metzenbaum (speaking to Senator Glenn): 'How can you run for Senate When you've never held a real job?'

Senator Glenn (D-Ohio):

'I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps.

I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different Occasions. I was in the space program . It wasn't my Checkbook, Howard; it was my l ife on the line. It was Not a nine-to-five job, where I took time off to take the Daily cash receipts to the bank.'

'I ask you to go with me ... As I went the other day... To a veteran's hospital and look those men ...With their mangled bodies in the eye, and tell THEM they didn't hold a job!

You go with me to the Space Program at NASA And go, as I have gone, to the widows and Orphans Of Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee...

And you look those kids in the eye and tell them That their DADS didn't hold a job.

You go with me on Memorial Day and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends Buried than I'd like to remember, and you watch Those waving flags

You stand there, and you think about this nation, And you tell ME that those people didn't have a job?

What about you?'

For those who don't remember During WW.II, Howard Metzenbaum was an attorney Representing the Communist Party in the USA .

Now he's a Senator!

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran.

It might not be a bad idea to keep this circulating

Richard Healy
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: senator john glen, copyed from another fourm i belong to

Very well written with great points. I espacially enjoyed the comment how
    Detroit has almost as many deaths as there were in Iraq. I think the media has blown the war out of proportion.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Meaning no disrespect and I'm not looking to expand this into a major article, but John Glenn did not write or say any of this. ( http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/glenn.asp , scroll down toward the bottom)

Probably most important is that this piece is full of error and great stretches of the imagination. For example:

A. FDR led us into WWII. Yes, he was the Prez, but treaty circumstances and a very popular opinion amongst most citizens was that we should have gone in much earlier. Like with WWI, many U.S. citizens found thier own way into the war prior to December 1941; joining Canadian and British Forces as well as the French and Spanish resistance and working for the war effort to support Europe in its time of need.

B. Germany never attacked us??? Guess the writer doesn't have a clue here. German U-boats were patrolling our eastern coast daily, sinking our ships and killing our merchant marine in the North Atlantic. Ships of many nations as well as ours were being torpedoed within sight of eastern shores and the Nazies had a fairly decent espionage operation, as well as sabateurs in many of our east coast shipping centers and industrial plants. While we had yet to declare war and arm our men, we made a valiant effort to assist our European allies, and rightly so!

C. Truman started the war in Korea. Not exactly true, again a bit of a history lesson is in order. The U.S. decided in 1945 (the Japanese had not yet surrendered) that the Korean peninsula should be divided at the 38th parallel. Like with Germany, the region would be shared with the Soviet Union. With the efforts of the U.S., South Korea became a "U.S. friendly" state. This was widely disputed and an uprising occured. With U.S. support, over 100,000 S. Koreans died in these uprisings. The outcome was an anti-communist govenment led by Syngman Rhee. The North became a Soviet influenced communist state led by Kim Il-Sung.

What transpired over the next few years was basically a civil war between the north and the south, in an effort on both parts to reunify Korea. The Soviet-backed north fairly dominated this action because the U.S. failed to support the South in balance with the Soviet's heavy support of the North.

The U.S. also made the error of mis-stating that South Korea was not part of it's strategic interest in the Pacific region. That led to Sung's continued pressing of the Soviets for more support to meet the objectives of unification and for the Soviets to relent, seeing that the U.S. probably wouldn't care. On June 25, 1950, North Korea launched a massive attack on S. Korea. And that, is what started the Korean War! (A similar U.S. diplomatic "confusion" was also a major component of Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.)

D. JFK started the conflict with Vietnam in 1962. Again, not true. Before WWII, the region was known as French Indochina. Because of WWII, the French lost power there and after the war, they made a serious attempt to regain thier influence. The French were practically broke, thanks to WWII, and the U.S. heavily financed and supplied the French in thier effort to reestablish their colonialism. Vietnam (there was no North and South at that time) had a substantial communist rebel force (the Viet Minh) and was fighting to overthow the pupit French government in an effort to be independant of French domination. After their loss at Dienbienphu (1954), the French were forced to give up thier hold on the region and withdraw their forces. This was during the Truman administration.

In accordandance with the Geneva Accords, the Viet Minh also withdrew their military forces to the north of the 17th parallel and Vietnam became divided.

However, the U.S. didn't agree with the Geneva Accords, and we did not participate in their signing. The French kept a pupit government in the South, and the Viet Minh also maintained a strong influence there. The U.S. however had taken upon itself to seek a more friendly government and we started courting Ngo Dinh Diem, an anti-Communist Catholic. Our support went so far as financing Diem and training a Vietnamese army to support him. This was in direct violation of the Geneva Accords.

In 1954, under pressure from the U.S., Ngo Dinh Diem ran against the French supported Vietnamese king, Bao Dai. Diem's army controlled the polls and not surprisingly Diem became the new president.

However, the popular support was for the Viet Minh and Eisenhower feared that without further support the communist would quickly overpower the Diem regime. The rest is better known history!

Well friends, the rest of the stuff is rather full of erroneous information also. But I see no sense in trying to change anyone's mind with the facts at this point. Facts are seemingly the last thing that anyone wants to hear today and during the months and years since 9/11 we've been very good at ignoring the facts and fabricating our own reasons and conclusions.

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 09-10-2007, 11:04 AM. Reason: Date correction

Comment

please allow me to state this, i am not nor have i ever been a fan of bush, also i did not reserch any of this though any means
        i just belong on another forum (trucking boards) an i glanced quickly at this and i coyped it and posted it here. sorry that this has a bunch of misinformation in it. i just thought it was alittle more accurrte. also i do not watch the seante much so i was going on someone elses word that this was true.

and before you all start telling me to vote if i don't like what is happening in the goverment, i would if i could, but though my dumbness i lost my right to vote many years ago.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

You missed that it was Germany and Italy who in fact declared war on the U.S. 3 days after Pearl Harbor.

Comment

Working...
          X