X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your hobbies and why?

After reading various posts around the board it becomes apparent we have lives outside of work and power tools. It seems my hobbies have varied over the years depending on what is going on at the time (kids-work-school-income). I thought it would help to better know our forum-mates by understanding what they do in their spare time.

Mark

PS: I'm leaving for inspections here in Vegas in a minute so my reply will have to wait until I am back in LA.
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: What are your hobbies and why?

Fishing - Have fished with my dad and uncle since as far back as I can remember. Lake erie is a great resource to live on. Walleye, Perch, Smallmouth.

Golf - Started this up when I got married (my wife golfs). Now I am hooked and golf about 10 times as much as she does

Fitness - Played sports through highschool and college then started doing some heavy lifting afterwords. Not heavy lifting anymore but now enjoy all types of activites.

Firearms - Grew up on a farm hunting woodchucks so shooting and reloading sorta stuck. Not so much the last few years now but still enjoy it.

Bowling - Used to bowl 8 lines ever tuesday for .99 a line. till I got married

Music - Have always played guitar and now play some piano as well. both self taught.

Photography - got my first slr last year and have been playing around with taking pics quite a bit.

Ok... thats enough for me to list.

Josh

Comment

Well lets see, my children is everything to me, so I'm active in coaching soccer, we get involved in 4-H. We raise rabbits and horses, we encourage them to be in Choir, Band, sports, and Arts and this does consist of being there for them with all their shows and games. Then when I do get a little free time, I love to fish and hunt and play golf. I also collect baseball cards and comic books, though I have slowed down in that area. My hobby when I find 10-20 is also the internet, visiting w/my Imaginary Internet Friends, thats what the wife says anyhow. Watching sports on TV or real life is another hobby, but not to often anymore.

But my true hobby is working w/wood, yes that include tools being used. I just cannot get away from tools. My wife should be able to live for 10-15 more yrs off of the value of my tools and equipments when I die. Ya, I think I even got Rick beat in that field.

He who die's w/the most tools wins...
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

My hobbies.

I collect alot of sports memorabilia, autographs, game used stuff like jerseys, baseballs, footballs, anything to do with sports...Keeps my mind free

I play mens league softball on weeknites, and on sundays

I like to take my boys fishing, my dad and i did it, keep the tradition going, plus i love spending time with the boys.

I coach little league baseball for my sons baseball team.

I am the umpire in cheif for our local little league.

Vollunteer firefigher for 14 yrs, i loved that so much, had to stop cause the kids were young.

All in all, my favorite hobby is sports, hunting...We are big time baseball and football fans here, so sundays at my house, the doors get locked, the food gets cooked and its crazy for about 4 hrs here

Last but not least, i love researching anything on Drain Cleaning....Yeah its my career, but i love doing it so much, its almost like a hobby to me...to see the growing industry, reading up on different stories stuff like, meeting new people in this field

Oh and the Ridgid forum turning into an addictive hobby
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Fishing, camping, hunting.

Woodworking.

Hopefully back into skiing this winter.

Spending time with my family.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Sim racing Nascar 2003 for about a year, WHAT A BLAST! Prolly put in 100,000 laps in a year.!!
            Love to play golf...get my $$'s worth everytime!!
            Love to fish as well, freshwater bass fishing is my fav!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              Well lets see, my children is everything to me, so I'm active in coaching soccer, we get involved in 4-H. We raise rabbits and horses, we encourage them to be in Choir, Band, sports, and Arts and this does consist of being there for them with all their shows and games. Then when I do get a little free time, I love to fish and hunt and play golf. I also collect baseball cards and comic books, though I have slowed down in that area. My hobby when I find 10-20 is also the internet, visiting w/my Imaginary Internet Friends, thats what the wife says anyhow. Watching sports on TV or real life is another hobby, but not to often anymore.

But my true hobby is working w/wood, yes that include tools being used. I just cannot get away from tools. My wife should be able to live for 10-15 more yrs off of the value of my tools and equipments when I die. Ya, I think I even got Rick beat in that field.

He who die's w/the most tools wins...

keep dreaming

i got my first electric drill when i was in the second grade and saber saw when i was in 3rd. grade. radial arm saw when i was in 6th. grade. not sure if you got that early of a start

lets make sure we don't let our wives test this theory anytime soon

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I could go on and on. I think my friend described me best when he said I'm a collector: I collect hobbies...

Photography - My aunt gave me a Browinie Bullet when I was 8, and I haven't stopped in the 42 years since. I have a collection of about 20 cameras, but I only use the pocket digital and my digital SLR. [url=http://www.morrisgarage.com/clique]Here[/url are the cameras and here is my gallery.

The Garage - That pretty much covers a description of what I do most of the time. The garage houses the MG (which needs engine work), the scooters, the 'fridge full of beer , the TV and my rocker. I'm a happy man! I ride one or the other of the scooters pretty much every day to work, as well as on rides on the weekend. I'm working on a preservation project on a '65 Vespa 180 Super Sport. I was autocross racing the WRX, and have performed a lot of modifications to it. I'm also an avid fan of Formula 1, Moto GP motorcycle racing, ans WRX world rallye racing. The garage and the toys in it can be found at www.MorrisGarage.com as well as in the above gallery. Go to the Garage gallery to see more photos of what I'm working on.

Woodworking - In the garage gallery linked above, you may see some of my woodworking tools. The 15" drill press, 10" table saw, 24" scroll saw, 14" band saw, and 12" SCMS are all stashed against the wall, and the hand tools and power tools are all in the cabinets. Once I got the MG about 7 years ago, I put woodworking on hold.

Dad and Grandpa were both 30+ year wood shop teachers when the vocational classes were still in the high school. That was when they were actual craftmen rather than babysitters... Grandpa had an old 24" Delta scroll saw, and put me on a stool in front of it so many years ago that I don't even remember my age. Well, under ten, I'm sure. He had a wood projects book with several scroll saw toys in it that I cut out. I specifically remember a horse made from stacking three 1/4" pieces together after cutting them out on the scroll saw; body, two left legs/left ear, and two right legs/right ear. 40 years later, I've made the same horse with my daughter, and I still have the book and the scroll saw. One of these days I'll add on to the garage or build one out back, and dig out the shop again.

Hunting/Target Shooting - I haven't hunted anything except groundhog/woodchuck/whistle pigs for years, but still get out occasionally to target shoot. I've got some of Dad's and Grandpa's .22 rifles and shotguns, as well as a few target pistols and long range rifles.

Other - Some hobbies come and go over the years, frequently to pop up again later. These include gardening with my wife, geocaching with the whole family, hiking though the metroparks, reading, bicycle touring/camping, backpacking, fishing, sailing, and probably more that I forget about right now.

Way too many things to do and too long until retirement...
                Last edited by smorris; 09-14-2007, 04:26 PM.
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Howling, eating, sitting, sleeping and howling more. What did you expect form the #1 howling hound?

For what this is worth, hounds don't howl. They BAY.
                  Last edited by Woussko; 09-15-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

i think Rosie may have you beet with the howling thing

i like to work Rosie for our SAR work , using Ill kinds of sent articles and a lot of different types of complicated trails .
                    i like working around my yard to make it look nice.
                    talking to all the people i have met from all over the world on my favorite forums.
                    love the out doors ,love going to MT Washington NH .
                    and believe it or not my job [ the type of work i do ]
                    and going on vac with my wife ,2 girls and Rosie
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Seems like I've always been into something....

Sports - Football, track, snowskiing, volleyball, wrestling, softball, weight lifting, and alot of waterskiing for a while (waterskiing really deserves it's own paragraph....waterskiing was it! We went 50-60 times a year in a northeast climate..pretty much from early April to end of Oct most years...wetsuits, drysuits, shorties, Mastercrafts, the whole 9 yards...skiing the course is the most intense 19 seconds I can think of) I might ski once or twice a year now that I'm old and into relaxing, and no longer play any organized sports, but do try to hit the fitness center 2-3x/week....gotta keep my girlish figure. I golfed a bit but gave it up for waterskiing in 1986.

Audio - Got into highend audio big time in the mid 80's. Founded a local audio club in 1985, worked for a couple of local highend manufacturers part time, and ended up forming my own highend speaker company (1988-1997). By the time I had put together a "poor man's" highend dream system with a respectable analog frontend, modified tube preamp and amps, plus a set of beautiful custom speakers of my own design, we were listening to alot of Muppets, Alvin & the Chipmunks, and Raffi!

Brewing - Dabbled in homebrewing beer for a few years in the early 90's. Probably made 10-15 batches...most were pretty good, one was perfect for the drain.

Singing/choir - I sang all through high school, did 6 musicals, then started doing weddings, and joined the church choir. In 2000 a voice disorder put an end to one of my favorite activities.

Woodworking - Started in 2001 and gradually got carried away like I do most things! At the end of my rookie year (2002), I posted some one-liner wwing observations from a rookie's perspective, which ended up being published by Wood Mag. A second round was published at the end of my "2nd rookie" season. I've made coffee tables, maple workbench, headboards, clocks, jewelry boxes, night stands, hope chest, electric guitar and amp, wine rack, hall tables, conference table, computer armoire, stools, island, and lots more. I usually build 4 or 5 projects a year.

Kids pretty much dominate the scene these days... we've got 3 of each ranging from 8-20.
                      Last edited by hewood; 09-15-2007, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I have no hobbies, I have no life. I just go to work and school.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

In order of importance
                          1. Drinking Beer (I love cold beer)
                          2. Hunting (Gives me a reason for more travel and leave time from work)
                          3. Golf (running a close second to hunting) (See reason for #2)
                          4. Collecting firearms (You can never have too many) (Over 60 and climbing)
                          5. Fishing (Its relaxing, If I dont catch anything of significance it doesnt matter as long as the beer is cold and the boat is full of fuel.
                          6. Woodworking (most relaxing thing I do)
                          7. Traveling foreign countries ( Love to experience different cultures, makes one appreciate what we have here) (Also the only thing I can do with my wife)
                          8. Drinking more beer (helps to overcome a bad day of items 2-7)
                          Regards,
                          Last edited by biscuit; 09-15-2007, 08:46 AM. Reason: Cant seem to type this mronign

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            I have no hobbies, I have no life. I just go to work and school.
                            and ridgid forum
                            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I have lots of interests, but I'm not sure you can count things like military history, aviation, the American Civil War, etc. as a hobby, unless of course you're into doing battlefield re-enactments, etc.... which I am not.

While I'm trying to get my life in order to make woodworking the major hobby; right now, the working of wood is pretty much confined to repair and rennovation carpentry of two houses, one in which I've lived for almost thirty years and one which I hope to get moved into before the snow flies.

So, my main hobby at the moment is Ham Radio, but even that has taken a "backseat" when it comes to house priorities. I do find myself locked into a monthly schedule of handling FCC exam sessions in our area though (www.hamxam.org).

I also have a 95 Miata which thankfully doesn't take a lot of maintenance, but I do consider it a hobby interest. Just something fun about taking an afternoon to drop the top and have the wind blow the cobwebs out of my head, as motor through some back-country curves.

In the past I've enjoyed model railroading and I still have most of the rolling stock, although the scenery tables were given away long ago. Now that I have a couple of grandsons and soon, a lot more room, I may find myself getting back into that. I'm not much for playing with the trains, but I loved doing the miniature modeling and scenery. (Besides, now that I've hit my early sixties, having to explain searching the sidewalks and neighbors lawns for that perfect twig (which looks like a miniature Maple Tree) will be easier to chalk up to senility (rather than some perversion).

Other than that, I spend a fair share of time writing (even here) and I love to draw and illustrate. Right now I'm trying to figure out the niceties of SketchUp.

Other than that, my head drifts through various subjects, imaginations, and attempts at being creative.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X