X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

This is an idea for a new thread and kinda goes along with the recent scavenger hunt or word association threads but in reverse so to speak. One of the WWing mags runs a column under rules similar to those that I propose below. If you have comments or suggestions with regard to the posting guidelines please reply in this thread. Or if you think the whole idea is crazy let me know that too.

What is it? would be a new thread where you post a photo of an object and people have to identify what it is and how it was used. And maybe also if they know something about the history of the item relay that too like if they ever owned or used one themselves, etc. Photos should be of sufficient size and quality so the item details are visible. Obscuring item details by posting poorly lit items or photo-shopping out details is not acceptable. If there is a manufacturers name or other identifying information such as patent dates and numbers or model or part numbers visible my personal opinion is the object should be photographed so they are not visible if possible, or maybe you cover those with a small piece of tape or do a similar edit in your favorite graphics editor to hide such information which would quickly reveal the identity or purpose of the object. the person who IDs the object first gets to submit the next mystery object. If you ID an object then you have to be able to back up your claim as best you can with either a reference to a web site or publication or other source. You don't have to include or copy the information over here to the RIDGID Forum, just provide a link to the information or how to view it such as publication title and page number for a book.

So, do you have some strange or obscure, or arcane object laying around that you think only you know the purpose of? Or maybe you have some gadget or gizmo that you have no clue as to its purpose. Either way post them here and lets see who knows what it is.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: What is it?

bob you started it you should go frist
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Bob

I say go for it and please let you be the first to post pictures. Some time ago Plumberscrack started a thread something like this over on the Electricians area. When I find it, I'll add the link to this post so everyone can see the item and the resulting replies. I then went rather crazy posting more pictures. With this being new I like your idea where the first with the correct answer and a way to back it up gets to post the next picture(s) asking what an item is.

Here is the link to the thread. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=11340&page=7

Maybe there should be a strict rule that Josh would enforce where Woussko may not post unless after XX tries no one else gets it correct. Also, if I do post any pictures I must be able to show some sort of proof that I in fact know what the item is and what it's used for. (Reason for such a rule it to help keep control of things.)
      Last edited by Woussko; 09-22-2007, 10:56 PM.

Comment

OK, I forgot about that thread which was a good one. No use reinventing the wheel, if anyone has a new item to post let it continue in the thread that PCrack started or start another thread I guess in General Topics > Open Discussion
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Will give this a shot. The USB drive is for a scale of reference.
          Attached Files
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Wind sock swivelling hanger

Comment

Some device for fishing?
              Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

It is for fishing.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  It is for fishing.
                  Is that a clue or is it the answer?

I was going to say some gothic tribal earing left over from the 90's.

For fishing?... I had something like that to catch catfish once. Had 2 hooks on it that spread apart when the fish bit the bait so they didn't swallow the hook.

Comment

It's a clue, here's another, it's only used in Hawai'i.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

first of all it is a swivel with some type of "hook" or "retainer" on it,
                      my guess is the "hook swivel" used in the states here would do the same thing, or to hook a spinner to or it may be used similar to this,
                      http://jtackle.info/hooks/Assist_Hoo...h_Swivel.shtml to attach multiple hooks to.

snap swivel
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by BHD; 09-23-2007, 04:19 PM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

An exotic wood, often used on musical instruments, rhyms with "Boa".
                        Ben better know this one....

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                          An exotic wood, often used on musical instruments, rhyms with "Boa".
                          Ben better know this one....

KOA - Which by the way make beautiful guitars and ukuleles.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                            Will give this a shot. The USB drive is for a scale of reference.
                            It's a trolling swivel.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

It's called a slide buckle.
                              http://www.angelfire.com/sports/hunt...hingstyle.html
                              Check this site out. The biggest Ulua I ever caught was in South Point.
                              Who's next?
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X