Clear All

• top cities to retire

Walla Walla, Washington
    Population: 30,000
    Maximum income tax: 0%
    Sales tax: 8.3%
    Typical three-bedroom house: $275,000
    Est. property tax: $3,500 to $4,100
    This southeastern Washington town has become a destination for wine connoisseurs, urban refugees and roving retirees, despite its out-of-the-way location. 19th century Italianate-style commercial buildings are being revamped to house art galleries, bookstores and restaurants. Three colleges are hubs of activity for retirees, who can enjoy classical music, lectures or lifelong learning classes. Walla Walla home prices, up more than 50% over the past five years, are still affordable by big-city standards

St. Simons Island, Georgia
    Population: 13,400
    Maximum income tax: 6% on income over $10,000
    Sales tax: 6%
    Typical three-bedroom house: $360,000
    Est. property tax: $3,600
    With its sandy beaches, lush marshes and moss-draped live oaks, St. Simons Island has blossomed into a year-round retirement community. Five miles off the coast of Brunswick, Ga., the island enjoys summerlike weather almost seven months of the year. Residents can eat out at a number of fine dining establishments, shop several galleries for work by local artists or attend concerts on Lighthouse Lawn. But home prices are rising and there's always the risk of a major hurricane.

Prescott, Arizona
    Population: 40,400
    Maximum income tax: 5% on income over $150,000
    Sales tax: 8.3%
    Typical three-bedroom house: $390,000
    Est. property tax: $3,700
    Prescott attracts retirees who enjoy being outdoors, with more than 6 golf courses, and the Prescott National Forest, which offers 450 miles of trails among acres of ponderosa pine. There are outdoor events on the lawn of Courthouse Plaza; saloon-style bars and restaurants that line historic Whiskey Row; and plays at the Prescott Fine Arts Association. Other pluses: three hospitals, a recently expanded library and a new adult center opening this fall. Housing prices are on the high side, but property taxes are relatively low and seniors enjoy some state breaks

Holland, Michigan
    Population: 34,600
    Maximum income tax: 3.9% (flat)
    Sales tax: 6%
    Typical three-bedroom house: $160,000
    Est. property tax: $2,700
    Situated on the shores of an inland lake that connects to Lake Michigan, Holland is full of summer fun for beachgoers and sailing aficionados. Granted, it isn't warm here in the winter, but there is plenty to do indoors. And hey, sidewalks and streets are heated to melt snow. Downtown, a five-block stretch along Eighth Street, is a thriving area of independent shops and restaurants. Close by, you'll also find bigbox stores and a small private hospital. And Grand Rapids is a mere 25 minutes away

Williamsburg, Virginia
    Population: 11,800
    Maximum income tax: 5.75% on income over $17,000
    Sales tax: 5%
    Typical three-bedroom house: $305,100
    Est. property tax: $1,600
    Colonial Williamsburg, a functioning restoration of an 18th-century British colonial capital, makes up the heart of Williamsburg, Va., so you've got to like - or at least tolerate - the heritage shtick to make this place home. Still, Williamsburg does have many modern-day comforts. There are three airports and seven hospitals within an hour's drive. You can golf almost year round at one of 15 courses. On the other hand, critics argue that it's becoming too built up

Re: top cities to retire

When i was in High school i went to Holland Michigan to march in their Tulip Festival and I do have to say it's a pretty beautiful place. Seeing eye to eye tulips line the streets was a pretty amazing sight. Although i'm pretty sure it doesn't look like that every day. The heated sidewalks to melt snow seems like a nice feature though.

Comment

Who wants to retire in a city? I want to go out into nowhere land and retire on top of a mountain with nice clean air and a wild tree or two and maybe a pet crow. Get me far, far away from the city. I can't take it anymore and am about to have both a temper fit and go apeus again.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        Who wants to retire in a city? I want to go out into nowhere land and retire on top of a mountain with nice clean air and a wild tree or two and maybe a pet crow. Get me far, far away from the city. I can't take it anymore and am about to have both a temper fit and go apeus again.
        Geez guy I better send you a nice fresh cowpie from my neighbors field lol.Yea I never did cities well either but I'm heading to retire in 1 in the Philippines..luckily it feels smaller then it is,has pretty good air.in genewral all the pollution is low and you can drink the tapwater which in most of asia you cant do.Look up Davao for several years its been in the top 10 cities in asia for living.In land area its the biggest city in the world but not in population.Theres farms ,plantations,a bit of everything is seen going around the city.Admittedly living there isn't for everyone.
        Sam

Comment

Been to the PI for 6 months. Beautiful country with great people. I'm with you Woussko. I want to live in the country. No one to bother me and vice versa.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
          X