Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Firearms?

Just saw this thread.

I have a Remington 700 VTR in .223, with a Harris prone bipod on the front, and with a Leupold "Mark 4" 4-12x40 scope on it (this isn't a picture of mine, but looks the exact same):

That VTR is great. Noisy as all get-out with those vents, but it prints at .4" 3-shot groups at 100 yards with standard factory ammo (I shoot either Hornady or Remington through it - I love the Hornady TAP and the Remington AccuTip-V). I've only had it a year now, and have put only about 250 rounds through it, but I've found that it (and I ) am capable of doing 2" 3-shot groups at 200 yards, and 5 3/8" at 300 yards. Very happy for a non-custom, factory gun with factory ammo (and a relatively newer rifle shooter on this one - have shot miscellaneous stuff for years, but just really starting to get involved on the hunting side of things).

I also have a Remington 870 Express Synthetic black shotgun, in a 3-barrel kit (28" vent rib barrel, 23" turkey barrel with fiber optic sights, and a 20" fully-rifled cantilever-mount barrel [for deer hunting w/ sabot slugs]).

I'm looking at getting the new(er) Springfield Armoury XDm in .40 cal, in the bi-tone finish (black w/ stainless steel). It's a sexy pistol / auto-loader; looks nice, shoots great, handles well, very well designed, etc.

I just recently bought a Liberty 14-gun safe, that I'm in the process of getting bolted down into my basement.

Comment

Just installed the gun safe - it sucked when I broke off two of the four lag bolts that I was using to anchor it into the cement. I had to spend another 15 minutes to drill four new holes for the lag anchors in the cement. That sucker isn't going anywhere - four 3/8" lag bolts, 2 1/2" long, anchored into 2 3/4" lag bolt anchor shields, in holes drilled into 4000 psi cement in my utility room. Once that thing is loaded up with guns and ammo, the safe and all will weigh about 700 lbs, and you would need about 3000 lbs of force to pull the safe out - which isn't being done without a vehicle, which can't be done without taking out the front of my house first.

I'm quite happy. The safe is guarding my Remington's, and my Remington's are guarding the safe.

Comment

On a bit of a side-note, does anybody out there have a new(er) Springfield Armoury XDm in .40 cal? I'm looking at getting one, in the bi-tone finish (black w/ stainless steel). It's an amazing piece of hardware it seems. I've had the chance to fire a couple boxes of ammo through a rental one at Target Sports in Royal Oak, Michigan. I'm looking at getting one, and I've done all of my homework online, and this pistol seems to line up best with what I want. It won't be the same as my potential service pistol (a Sig Sauer P225 9mm, yuck). And I've seen how easy the field strip and cleaning is, and the Springfield warranty is also nice. Magazine capacity isn't really an issue for us up here, since it would only be used for target/competition/training shooting, and we're regulated up here to only be at 10 rounds capacity (so, with this thing being 15+1, it'll have to be pinned to a 9+1 capacity at place-of-purchase prior to delivery to me).

I've shot it fairly well and accurately at Target Sports, with that one having about 10k rounds sent through it. Any thoughts?

Comment

back in the states i have a Belgian Browning .06, several Remington .06s, a colt .25 auto (my granny's old weapon), Remington 870 riot setup, my brothers muzzle loaders, and my pride & joy ... a 1st generation Colts 1876 Peace Maker (.45 black powder single action)

working on my home protection permit (870 riot gun) and CCW. probably a S&W .38 wheel gun like an Airlite

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
            back in the states i have a Belgian Browning .06, several Remington .06s, a colt .25 auto (my granny's old weapon), Remington 870 riot setup, my brothers muzzle loaders, and my pride & joy ... a 1st generation Colts 1876 Peace Maker (.45 black powder single action)

working on my home protection permit (870 riot gun) and CCW. probably a S&W .38 wheel gun like an Airlite

steve
            Sounds like a nice gathering of steel.

Comment

I'm also looking at getting a 12 gauge auto-loader, and I've basically narrowed it down to getting a Benelli. I don't do a lot (any) waterfowl hunting, so I'm iffy about needing to get something to handle 3 1/2" shells. I'm mostly looking at using it for rabbit, skeet/trap, and an additional all-around for shotgun deer season, as well as some small game usage.

But I'm tossing and turning between the Benelli M2 and the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. I don't think I really need/want the 3 1/2" shell capability, but I really don't want to spend all this money, and then IF I get into duck/goose hunting, need to go out and buy something again.

For those of you who are waterfowlers, are the 3 1/2" shells that much more advantageous to you? Or, are 3" magnum loads more than proficient enough?

If 3's are fine, then I may stay with the M2 and be happy with it.

Or, another option is, is that I plan on getting the M2 in black synthetic. IF I end up getting into duck/goose hunting, and I do need 3 1/2" capability, that could always give me reason/excuse to go out and buy a SBEII in camo.

But, I'd rather get the purchase right from the start.

Sorry for the long, blabbering post. The essence of it is this - should I get an autoloader with 3 1/2" capability, or is 2 3/4" and 3" capability more than enough to give me needed variety with today's modern shotshell loads?

Comment

Here is three of my basic hand guns.

Attached Files
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I can't tell what it says but is the revolver a 38

My guns are

.270 savage
                  Remington 12 gauge pump
                  Ruger .375 revolver 6 inch barrel
                  Remington .22
                  30-30 Winchester lever action
                  7mm Mauser
                  Last edited by DanLawrence; 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

AWESOME!

I found a gun thread on a woodworking forum.... My favorite 2 hobbies... It's like a slice of heaven....

I own quite a few rifles, shotguns, and pistols. I'm more of a rifles guy because I like that one well-placed precision shot over the spray and pray technique.

I have quite a few precision rifles but top of the list are:
                    Rem700 Police Sniper - .308 Win - Bedded and Floated - Burris XTR 6-24x50mm
                    She holds 1/2minute 5shot groups with my handloads of 168gr Sierra's
                    AR15 - 16" barreled .300Whisper - Burris Tac30 - slinging 220gr Sierra's
                    AR15 - 24" Bull Barrel .223Rem - Burris XTR 3-12xmm slinging 69gr Sierra's

Couple shotguns... all Rem 870's
                    Two 28" barrels for hunting - stay packed in the safe
                    One 20" Police Model for home defense in condition 3 tucked into the master closet

5 Glocks all in .40S&W
                    Two 22's
                    One 23
                    Two 27's
                    The 23 is my daily carry - carried everyday for the past 8 years

And can't forget my wedding present from my wife.... My noisy cricket... Keltec P32 in .32 Auto

Brandon
                    I bleed RIDGID orange...

Comment

Fact: There are 700,000 Doctors in the USA!
                      There are 120,000 ACCIDENTAL DEATH'S Annually caused by Doctor's!
                      The percentage is: 0.171
                      Statistics courtesy of US Health and Human Services Department

GUNS: There are 80,000,000 Gun Owners in the USA! (Yep, 80 MILLION!)
                      Accidental deaths by Gun Owners Annually: 1500
                      The percentage is: 0.000188
                      Statistics courtesy of the FBI

Statistically, DOCTORS are 9000 times more dangerous than GUNS!

REMEMBER: Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do!

Not everyone has a gun, but almost everyone has at least ONE Doctor!

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat!

We must ban DOCTORS before this gets completely out of hand!

(As a public service, I did NOT post the statistics on LAWYERS for fear people would panic and seek medical help!)
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Its a 357 and can shoot +P+

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                        I can't tell what it says but is the revolver a 38

My guns are

.270 savage
                        Remington 12 gauge pump
                        Ruger .375 revolver 6 inch barrel
                        Remington .22
                        30-30 Winchester lever action
                        7mm Mauser
                        Ron's Facebook

Comment

I thought I would round up some of my empty brass and think about reloading it this weekend. I couldn't find any .357's then finally I looked in a box and about 400 already loaded rounds!!!! YEEE HAAA, unfortunatly I must have 1500 45acp brass needing to be loaded. Maybe I'll have to give the old Dillon 650 a work out. Are primers still hard to get ? I havent reloaded in years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                            Fact: There are 700,000 Doctors in the USA!
                            There are 120,000 ACCIDENTAL DEATH'S Annually caused by Doctor's!
                            The percentage is: 0.171
                            Statistics courtesy of US Health and Human Services Department

GUNS: There are 80,000,000 Gun Owners in the USA! (Yep, 80 MILLION!)
                            Accidental deaths by Gun Owners Annually: 1500
                            The percentage is: 0.000188
                            Statistics courtesy of the FBI

Statistically, DOCTORS are 9000 times more dangerous than GUNS!

REMEMBER: Guns don't kill people, DOCTORS do!

Not everyone has a gun, but almost everyone has at least ONE Doctor!

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat!

We must ban DOCTORS before this gets completely out of hand!

(As a public service, I did NOT post the statistics on LAWYERS for fear people would panic and seek medical help!)

Comment

So, anybody have any opinions on my conundrum???:

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                              I'm also looking at getting a 12 gauge auto-loader, and I've basically narrowed it down to getting a Benelli. I don't do a lot (any) waterfowl hunting, so I'm iffy about needing to get something to handle 3 1/2" shells. I'm mostly looking at using it for rabbit, skeet/trap, and an additional all-around for shotgun deer season, as well as some small game usage.

But I'm tossing and turning between the Benelli M2 and the Benelli Super Black Eagle II. I don't think I really need/want the 3 1/2" shell capability, but I really don't want to spend all this money, and then IF I get into duck/goose hunting, need to go out and buy something again.

For those of you who are waterfowlers, are the 3 1/2" shells that much more advantageous to you? Or, are 3" magnum loads more than proficient enough?

If 3's are fine, then I may stay with the M2 and be happy with it.

Or, another option is, is that I plan on getting the M2 in black synthetic. IF I end up getting into duck/goose hunting, and I do need 3 1/2" capability, that could always give me reason/excuse to go out and buy a SBEII in camo.

But, I'd rather get the purchase right from the start.

Sorry for the long, blabbering post. The essence of it is this - should I get an autoloader with 3 1/2" capability, or is 2 3/4" and 3" capability more than enough to give me needed variety with today's modern shotshell loads?

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                                So, anybody have any opinions on my conundrum???:
                                I had the H&K / Benelli M1 Super 90 with multiple barrels, ghost ring sites, I loved it.

Attached Files
                                Ron's Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X