study;bad marriage can damage your heart

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• study;bad marriage can damage your heart

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- A lousy marriage might literally make you sick.

Marital strife and other bad personal relationships can raise your risk for heart disease, researchers reported Monday.
    What it likely boils down to is stress -- a well-known contributor to health problems, as well as a potential byproduct of troubled relationships, the scientists said.

In a study of 9,011 British civil servants, most of them married, those with the worst close relationships were 34 percent more likely to have heart attacks or other heart trouble during 12 years of follow-up than those with
    good relationships. That included partners, close relatives and friends.
    The study, in Monday's Archives of Internal Medicine, follows previous research that has linked health problems with being single and having few close relationships. In the new study, researchers focused more on the quality of marriage and other important relationships.
    "
    What we add here is that, 'OK, being married is in general good, but be careful about the kind of person you have married.' The quality of the relationship matters," said lead author Roberto De Vogli, a researcher with University College in London.

De Vogli said his research team is doing tests to see whether study participants with bad relationships have any biological evidence of stress that could contribute to heart disease. That includes inflammation and elevated levels of stress hormones.
    Another recent study also looked at quality of relationships but had different results. There was no association between marital woes in general and risks for heart disease or early death. But it did find, over a 10-year follow-up, that women who keep silent during marital arguments had an increased risk of dying compared with wives who expressed their feelings during fights. What appeared to matter more for men was just being married; married men were less likely to die during the follow-up than single men.

That study, of nearly 4,000 men and women, was published online in July in the journal Psychosomatic Medicine.
    In De Vogli's study, men and women with bad relationships faced equal risks. Volunteers filled out questionnaires asking them to rate the person to whom they felt closest on several measures. These included questions about to what extent does that person "give you worries, problems and stress?

They also were asked about whether they felt they could confide in that person, or whether talking with that person made them feel worse.
    Over the following 12 years, 589 participants had heart attacks or other heart problems. Those with the highest negative scores on the questionnaire had the highest risks, even taking into account other factors related to heart disease such as obesity, high blood pressure and smoking.

James Coyne, a University of Pennsylvania psychology professor who also has examined the health impact of social relationships, said De Vogli's results "make intuitive sense." But he said the study found only a weak association that doesn't prove bad relationships can cause heart disease.
    "It is still not clear what to recommend," Coyne said.
    "Do we tell people who have negative relationships to get therapy? They may have other reasons to do so, but I see no basis for them doing so only to avoid a heart attack," Coyne said.

Ending a bad marriage is not necessarily the answer either, he said, given evidence that being unmarried also could be a risk

Re: study;bad marriage can damage your heart

Food, cigarettes, disease, beer, and now marriage LOL pretty soon exercising will increase your risk of heart disease, cancer and all that good stuff
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
      Food, cigarettes, disease, beer, and now marriage LOL pretty soon exercising will increase your risk of heart disease, cancer and all that good stuff

Hey i didn't say it...i'm just a messenger under news section...

Cnn said it...blame them

Comment

Oh no... I don't have long to live then...

Comment

Oldie, but goldie:

"We all know that Heart Disease is the #1 cause of death in the U.S. But think hard about this: In Japan, they’ve got a diet that is low in fat and they have less heart disease than the US. While in France, the diet is very high in fat, and they also have less heart disease than in the US. In India, almost nobody drinks red wine and the heart disease rate is lower than in the US. But in Spain, everybody drinks too much red wine and sure enough they have less heart disease than the US. Algeria has the lowest sexual activity rate, and they’ve got less heart disease than in the US. But Brazil has the highest sexual activity rate and sure enough…the heart disease ratio is lower than in the US. Drink, eat and make merry all you want. It’s speaking English that kills you."

Comment

It's all the dam fast foods that cause heart disease. Even in a not so great marriage, you are more likely to NOT get good home cooking and will eat more take out. Mr. Ronald McDonald is a murderer!!!!!! Sean, all the other countries you mentioned have a combined total of fast food joints as the US. I have 30 years of field service, those fast food lunches are the main reason for my diabetes and heart condition. I really did have a Big Mac attack!
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I'm not too sure any of these studies mean much as they all seem to be bias towards what the researcher is trying to achieve.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

if bad marriages aren't going to kill you, then plumbing or something else is going to.

If your in a "bad marriage" it sucks to live your life that way, so get out of it

Studys show that work will kill you, not wearing you seat belt, smoking, etc, so why not add bad marriages now
                sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
                  It's all the dam fast foods that cause heart disease. Even in a not so great marriage, you are more likely to NOT get good home cooking and will eat more take out. Mr. Ronald McDonald is a murderer!!!!!! Sean, all the other countries you mentioned have a combined total of fast food joints as the US. I have 30 years of field service, those fast food lunches are the main reason for my diabetes and heart condition. I really did have a Big Mac attack!
                  Gotta agree with you. A bad marriage will cause you to do things that are bad for your heart, like eating bad food at home and out.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                  X