Some Interesting RIDGIDForum Trivia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Interesting RIDGIDForum Trivia

Just for fun I wrote a quick program to count the number of words that have been posted on the forum as well as averaging how many words per post.

The results... as of 10-10-2007 11:18am

Total Word Count = 8668518
    Average Words Per Post = 88.409

"Using this publishing standards information"At one extreme you get large print books with 250 words on the page. Academic books might put 600 words on a page with works of reference squeezing in 1000 words. A good working average is 400."

We have 21671 pages of information that has been posted since the forum started.

Or an academic book with nearly 14447 pages

"There are
    774,746 words in the Bible"

so the information stored in the RIDGIDForum is the equivalent of more than 11 Bibles worth of Trade related information

So when we say that some of the members on here have written books, we probably aren't that far off.

The knowledge combined on this site is truly amazing. Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and expertise.

Josh

Re: Some Interesting RIDGIDForum Trivia

I hope your bosses don't see this thread. Looks like someone might have had just a little bit too much free time on their hands today. On the other hand, a double thumbs up for thinking up the idea to check out that stat.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

it took me exactly 13 minutes to write the script, run the results, and write the forum post. And just think of all the enjoyment you guys will get out of the trivial information I posted ;-)

Comment

wow josh this is some interesting facts about this forum. over 11 bibles worth of trade related info is unbelivable. i just wonder if ridgid could pull all the trade info off of here and put it in a a book that could be sold to the public. could be very informitive. i know i buy books all the time that relate to trades that i know like framing and other thing that i don't like plumbing an eletric so i can have a basic idea of what others are talking about and so i can do small projects with little to no help.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Josh, I love random trivia! Unfortunately, it is the stuff my brain always remembers. I hope something useful didn't just get pushed out

Looks like you are gearing up for your accounting class tonight-have fun

Joey
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Software...........sarathy

They do everything anymore, but who ever made the software, well thats much harder to do then running the software......
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I made the software in 5 minutes. Ya just need to know where the data is stored at in the forum then have the script count the number of words.

I'll have to run it some time in the future to see how much stuff is accumulating in here.

Josh

Comment

Sarathy, the software Josh wrote is in the form of system scripts. This kind of programming uses the commands from the OS on the computer where the forums are stored. It's a little different from traditional software creation in that there are really no formal tools for writing it (unless you consider VI a tool...which, well, it's a TOOL alright!!), there are no debuggers, and there's certainly a wealth of information on every command. Search the web for VI and you'll get hundreds of pages on how to use the VI editor. Oh...and there's also a "Man Page", or on-line manual page that lists how to use it. The Man page doesn't EXPLAIN how to use it....but you *could* probably figure out how VI works if you carefully read it.

Josh, this is very cool info! Thanks for taking the time to pique your curiosity and let us know!! There's so much really good information here, posted by some REALLY knowledgeable folks. I really can't thank everyone enough for all the help I've gotten here. It's a tremendous resource!
                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks Josh for sharing that, that's truly amazing.

Btw- what ever happened to the forum hat idea?
                  Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

It got kicked around here some and then I got way too busy. I will pry push on it again some time in the near future. Its a great idea... just gotta find a gap to get it done

Comment

Thanks for the update.
                      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I sometimes click on quick links to see who's online.

Sometimes I see people watching me watch them

It say the most users online ever was 375, July 1 @ 11:12PM

I'm glad to be a part of that moment in history because I remember being there.

I wonder why so many that particular day

I also noticed that TOD is ALWAYS online

Comment

Working...
                        X