Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12 Ga. W/deer slugs or 03 springfield , BEARS !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Ga. W/deer slugs or 03 springfield , BEARS !!

A little Sat. Morn ,off topic,WHY NOT?
    We have a cabin around Bear valley N. Ca. about 7000 ft. Elev. in the Sierras.
    Usually 350 Black Bear incidents a year,this year 10000 or so. My snowmobile bud just discovered His cabin a mess! Had to buy a new Ref. and The cabin tore apart. One seen at Tahoe N.of us is 500 lbs. He swats doors off hinges! Son and I head up next Thur. When I'm frying up the bacon in the morn,I may have a guest! This would be a last resort after firing off some rounds. Getting in the firewood for this years snowmobile season. What'da Ya think 03 or LC Smith?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: 12 Ga. W/deer slugs or 03 springfield , BEARS !!

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    Usually 350 Black Bear incidents a year,this year 10000 or so. My snowmobile bud just discovered His cabin a mess! Had to buy a new Ref. and The cabin tore apart. One seen at Tahoe N.of us is 500 lbs. He swats doors off hinges! Son and I head up next Thur. When I'm frying up the bacon in the morn,I may have a guest! This would be a last resort after firing off some rounds. Getting in the firewood for this years snowmobile season. What'da Ya think 03 or LC Smith?

There is a forum for off topic discussion below. I think you should have posted it there.
    the dog

Comment

I agree with dog you should ask Josh to move your thread.

I have a little experience with this from hunting out on the Alaskan Tundra. First off if you are concerned about bears forget the bacon as you will only turn yourself into bear bait. The smell of bacon stays around for days not only on you but on your clothes your tent and everything else. If you intent is to scare the bear off (which it should be) you should get some flare rounds for your shotgun. If you are concerned about your protection you need a 44 pistol.

Mark
      Last edited by ToUtahNow; 10-13-2007, 10:55 AM.
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

i belive this would be my weapon of choice for theose big mean nasty bears but i like pushing things right to the edge, i feel it is me right as an american

9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

tool, a couple years back, i was in mammoth during a heavy snow fall. the dumpsters were not serviced for 2 weeks as the trucks couldn't get in. at night there were bears that would feast in the trash.

armed with a camera and some premade snowballs we chased them off.

of course i was on the second floor balcony and not face to face. but it sure was fun and safe up there. and i did throw a couple of strikes

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Hey Josh ,please re-locate this to proper forum,Didn't realize we had an off topic section.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

And here I thought you want the plumbing experts to tell you what type of pipe to use to make a bear cannon,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Hard to beat the 12 Ga with deer slugs. Much more kinetic energy than the Springfield. Get yourself a slug barrel and it will be much easier to use in tight places.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post

Why the severe increase in incidents? My in-laws live just over the hill froim there in Sonora, wonder if they'll have any problems, they're only about 4000' elev though.

Comment

Because every year more and more Pansy's from the city build a quaint little summer home in the woods and freak out when a bear acts like a bear.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                      Because every year more and more Pansy's from the city build a quaint little summer home in the woods and freak out when a bear acts like a bear.

lol
                      sigpic

Robert

Comment

The Ranger said the problem started when The forest service moved the aggressive Bears from Yosemite to Bear Valley. All they know is breakin in. They won't leave! He suggested to use slugs. Of course we have a hero on board that prefers hand to paw combat!

Comment

12 ga with rock salt? (with a backup in case you just make him mad)
                          This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Bear protection really has more to do with what you are trying to do. If you are trying to protect property and scare them away you can buy whistle loads or tracer rounds (watch out for brush fires). If you are trying to protect yourself you need to use slugs and hope for the best but a 44 mag is really the only guaranteed bear stopper.

Mark.
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                            X