Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New low cost wind power

Check out this new low cost wind power technology ->

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...html?series=37

Now that's what I call thinking outside the box...
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Re: New low cost wind power

I am beside myself! That is amazing! That is thinking waaaaay outside the box! Truly an original design...wish I had thought of it. Think of the vast potential that this has. GREAT POST!
    Nick

Comment

That's a smart man right there.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Great idea but having been to Haiti, I don't think wind power will help them, just not strong enough in the cities. It does have many barren mountains that might be suited for conventinal wind turbines.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Have any of you seen the no battery flashlights? The ones I'm thinking of have a bar magnet that moves/shakes as you move around, a coil or two of wire and a large capacity capacitor to store electrical energy. The light source is a single LED. When it starts to dim, you shake the flashlight.

I like this guy's idea better as long as there is a good strong wind blowing. I wonder if made larger how well it would work for battery charging.

Have any of you ever seen a wind generator (propeller type) setup for battery charging and powering of special equipment in remote areas?

I think this method needs some additional research and a good company to try to figure out costs to mass produce it in several sizes.
          Last edited by Woussko; 10-14-2007, 10:31 PM.

Comment

wow, I give that guy alot of credit. He is very intelligent. It is a shame that there aren't more young people like himself. I look at the young people today and it scares the heck out of me.

Huge A+++ for him and I am sure he will run with his project and find ways to charge batteries and store power.
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

[quote=westcoastplumber;98802] It is a shame that there aren't more young people like himself. I look at the young people today and it scares the heck out of me.

YOU AND ME BOTH...There is an entire generation that is simply and literally going to waste...I think I have hired and fired half of their population...only 900,000 left to go... It seems to me like most young people today really don't care about anything...including themselves. (I said MOST) What worries me is that in 10 to 15 years from now, they will be "adults"...or at least they will occupy adult bodies.

Comment

Pretty slick idea.

What I like about it is that it doesn't take up much room. Can you imagine just running a device like that along the ridge line of your roof? Here in NY's southern tier, the wind rarely stops, especially in the winter. It would be nice to know more specifics regarding output, voltage/amps etc.

It doesn't look to be very expensive, and it's certainly a lot less intrusive than the current propeller-driven turbines. Probably a lot less maintenance too.

CWS

Comment

[quote=Home Improvement Solution;98828]
                  Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                  It is a shame that there aren't more young people like himself. I look at the young people today and it scares the heck out of me.

YOU AND ME BOTH...There is an entire generation that is simply and literally going to waste...I think I have hired and fired half of their population...only 900,000 left to go... It seems to me like most young people today really don't care about anything...including themselves. (I said MOST) What worries me is that in 10 to 15 years from now, they will be "adults"...or at least they will occupy adult bodies.
                  LOL my wife has a 15 year old nephew that has zero drive to do anything but look good.He spends more time styling his hair and being infront of a mirror then he does eating..and he loves to eat but only meat rice and potatoes.We've had a few heated discussions about him as they live in the same house.I'm in the states yet they are in the philippines.This kid wont do anything..refuses to take out garbage or to cleanup after himself..wont do sports as its just too physical to suit him.I asked him once whats he going to do after HS he just shrugged his shoulders in his don't know don't care attitude.The kid is about 50 lbs overweight too an I pointed that out and that hes headed for a heartattack young or being diabetic ..he just don't care.Geez if I had that attitude as a teen I well know I'd have gotten the belt.Of course it is a different culture there but my wife jumps on his attitude too but it gets nowhere,
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    Have any of you seen the no battery flashlights? The ones I'm thinking of have a bar magnet that moves/shakes as you move around, a coil or two of wire and a large capacity capacitor to store electrical energy. The light source is a single LED. When it starts to dim, you shake the flashlight.

I like this guy's idea better as long as there is a good strong wind blowing. I wonder if made larger how well it would work for battery charging.

Have any of you ever seen a wind generator (propeller type) setup for battery charging and powering of special equipment in remote areas?

I think this method needs some additional research and a good company to try to figure out costs to mass produce it in several sizes.
                    I've seen those flashlights but use nimh batteries now in everything.A few of the remote houses here have no grid power and use a mix of solarcells, wind power and generators.A old hippy friend built a savonious (sp) rotor to drive an 12v alternator at his remote err shack/house..it worked fine.All his power came from either a homemade water turbine or the wind and everything was 12v
                    Sam

Comment

That is one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time, bright young man...

Thanks for sharing the video....
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

10-30 times as efficient as turbines! Very cool idea. very simple at the same time. Curious to see where this goes in the future. I have always said that power production and battery capacity are the only things holding us back from huge leaps forward in technology. This is a great idea that may erode at one of those problems while keeping the environment in tact.

Thanks for the post.

Josh

Comment

Though some else mentioned on another site about the sound. Can you imagine how loud it could be in a larger scale version. Then if you have a field of them, holy cow, thats gotta get extremely loud. Better set these things out in the ocean, miles from land.
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Good point on the noise, same as a tensioned belt on a transport. The units would need to be mechanically isolated from your house or the vibration transmission would drive you (at least me) nuts. Still a good idea

Comment

Working...
                            X