Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: cougar meeting on trail

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
    I believe it has to do with California being more populated,there is nowhere for the cougars to go.They have a large roaming space.They are also becoming more and more bold having so many human creatures so easy to pick off.Hey,if I was one I would consider snatching one of those soft hide,no fanged clawless critters.Piece of cake,just hope I can get away before the big one with the fire stick shows up.
    I'm laughing so hard tears are streaming down my face as I type this.

That's good stuff Adam

Comment

This is open space about 1/2 mile above our home in Lucas valley.
      Rick ,the bears are about 170 miles East of this in the sierras. Our cabin is Hi way 4 calaveras county, before bear valley. We head up Thur. I,ll take the trail alone once in a while ,Bot I'll have My USMC K BAR and My sig. Momma will never join my up there again!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

my nephew was tracked by a cougar for over an hour 2 months ago.

it was a Friday night and he was traumatised by the experience,

urbandictionary.com, cougar

Comment

Originally posted by franklie View Post
          my nephew was tracked by a cougar for over an hour 2 months ago.

it was a Friday night and he was traumatised by the experience,

urbandictionary.com, cougar
          Sooo... there was no actual contact since the cougar did not consider him nurishment worthy of the effort

Comment

Gosh all those dangerous wild animals, reminds me of the incident years ago in Upstate New York I believe a man shot his mother in-law mistaking her for a racoon. Well she was wearing a fur coat. None of my in-laws dare wear fur, they all must have read that story.

Comment

Do not, repeat, do not take cougars and their sightings lightly. They eat large things, including people, for a living and they will attack humans without warning. Same goes for bears, whether they be black bears or grizzlies, although grizzlies are much more aggressive. Was in northern Wis. this past weekend at my sister's cabin. Sister and BIL kept asking about all the dark, almost black poop, that was scattered in their yard. I walked along a ridge for about 1/4 mile and saw more scat along the trail including an area of matted grass where something big had rested for some time. I was near a pine forest that was so black on the interior it raised the hackles on the back of my neck. I backed out and walked home watching over my shoulder since it was getting dark outside already. Sister called us up this morning and announced that we had "missed the show" late Sunday night (we had already returned to Appleton). I asked what show? She told me that mama bear and two yearling cubs showed up in their backyard right after dusk trying to knock down some bird feeders. I figured all those poop piles didn't belong to some distant neighbor's dog.
              Jim Don

Comment

Jim ,good You didn't wander too deep into the woods!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                  Boy you are not very well read are you? It is from the Greek word κύδος kydos "that which is heard of" it means "fame" and "renown" resulting from an act or achievement.

Don't you just love Google?

Mark

Thanks Mark
                  I was too busy playing POST PIG

Comment

Adam,

I agree we are moving closer and closer to cougars but at the same time the numbers are getting too large and out of control. Nature has a way of balancing things and the Fish & Game helps to balance things when nature can’t. A male cougar can take as much as 30 square miles as his territory. The more male cougars the more room you need. An example of an unintended result of the mountain lion protection is the loss of the Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep.

The Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep have been on the endanger species list as long as there has been a list. Back in the 20’s there were around 600-cougars and around 600-Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep left in California. Wildlife experts worked hard and the number of Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep was finally starting to come back. Because of the mountain lion protection law the last time mountain lions were counted (1996) there were around 6,000-cougars in California. However, as the cougar population grew the Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep population dropped. Today there are less than 100-Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep in California Wildlife experts are trying to capture some of them before there are none left so they can bred them in captivity. Part of the blame for the declining population of this endangered species goes directly to the protection of the mountain lion which is not endangered.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark,
                      Thank you for refreshing my memory on their roaming area.I absolutely agree with you on the fact that the eco-system has been offset and humans have to intercede once again to keep our beneficial balance.

The wild animals must give way to the ever growing human infestation.

This is not whining this is just the way the earth is right now.It is only temporary as earth time goes.

There is a good thing,a bullet is much quicker than starving to death or dying of a disease because their immune system is garbage from interbreading.Or worse yet eating other animals that are infected with human rat poison that was eaten out of our yards.

Not being cynical,I honestly feel this way.It is a shame they gotta go,but at this point humans are not going to stop,so go they will.

Although I haven't heard the media kicking this one off yet.Treehuggers have been pretty quiet.

Adam

Comment

Some great info ,Mark I'll pass this on to all My neighbors. Imagine some moms walk this trail alone with infants on their back! I already informed one family to never do this! I wonder if the big cats get priority because woman equate them with their KITTYS? I bet I'm right!

Comment

Working...
                        X