X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cougar meeting on trail

Last night wife and I were walking in open space above where we live. It was at sundown and We have heard of mountain lion sitings over the years. As we rounded the bend One was walking away from Us. He or She turned and lept uphill into the high grass. We slowley retreated and went down hill to the developement area. This is in Marin Co. Ca. We know this is a once in a life experiance, and I treasure it. Ranger said He's never seen one Himself.
    I was looking at fresh scat along the trail before we met. Looks like large cat turds. I'll never get the wife off the asphalt again!
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: cougar meeting on trail

What a great experience!!!
    Good for you guys Tool.

I think know a guy who's applying for a tag this morning to come up there and get himself a new rug to put in front of the hearth in his hunting cabin

Comment

i thought you were worried about the bears?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Shoot I forgot to ask,
        Most of my friends who have seen 'em say they were so surprised at the tail,it was huge in comparison.
        What did you think?

Comment

i have dealt with many cats mostly bob cat and i have had some that would allow me to pet them, only breifly though, biggest thing with cats is make sure you:
          1. do not smell like food, raw meats.(duh)

2. you are in losse clothing so if you need to defend yourself you can with little to no restirction.

3. carry a can of mace, pepper sprary per person.

4. if on a hiking trail, carry a small sharp fixed blade knife(4-6 inches is more then enough, this is not a "bigger is better" thing guys)

5. a small but desent quaity camra.

6. never go out with out a flash light, again good quaity, belive it og not you can blind a cat for a second or two and that can make a world of difference

7. you have to do this if nothing else, tell a friend and leave a note on where you are going when you are leaving and when you will be back, this one thing is the most important because people might not notice that you are gone till a week or more has pastbut if they know you are out on the trail and they don't see you for 24-48 hours after you said you would be back they can send help to find you.

be safe out there folks
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

O.S.C. CAT PROTECTION SERVICES.
            "GOT CAT...WE GOT YOUR BACK."

Comment

California Law will not allow anyone to hunt cougars that's why we are seeing so many of them now. As the cougar population grows they have to get closer to people. Many years ago we woke up to a large noise in the backyard which turned out to be a cougar.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                O.S.C. CAT PROTECTION SERVICES.
                "GOT CAT...WE GOT YOUR BACK."

i know that was ment as a joke, an i take it that way,but(you knew there was a but coming didn't you) what i posted is the truth and anyone who works with these cats and other wild life such as rangers will tell you the same things.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Always a good idea to walk with someone smaller and weaker than yourself. You can toss this person to the animal in the event of a problem. Remember you don't have to run faster than an attacking dog or wild cat, you just have to be faster than the person you are with!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Always a good idea to walk with someone smaller and weaker than yourself. You can toss this person to the animal in the event of a problem. Remember you don't have to run faster than an attacking dog or wild cat, you just have to be faster than the person you are with!
                    ROTFLMAO

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                      i know that was ment as a joke, an i take it that way,but(you knew there was a but coming didn't you) what i posted is the truth and anyone who works with these cats and other wild life such as rangers will tell you the same things.
                      I know how much you love the big cats.Raising dough for the cat foundation a few mo's back.

I gave you KUDOS

What the heck does Kudos relate to anyway

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                        What the heck does Kudos relate to anyway
                        Boy you are not very well read are you? It is from the Greek word κύδος kydos "that which is heard of" it means "fame" and "renown" resulting from an act or achievement.

Don't you just love Google?

Mark

Comment

I'll second OSC's suggestions. While I'm only an "Eastener", if you spend any time in the field, you'll soon learn that nature can quickly change from "isn't that cool" to "oh sh!t".

Of course that's not to say that we all need to stick to the asphalt, but we do need to realize that the short walk in the hills may be longer and more treacherous then you might have imagined. It really is wise to be aware of your surroundings and to be prepared should a chance meeting turn into conflict.

The "note" is important.... it can give your family "closure".

CWS

Comment

California is a little different when it comes to cougars (mountain lions). My place in Utah has a large population of cougars but you never see them. I find tracks in the snow all of the time during the winter but I have rarely seen one in person. After setting up a trail camera you will see pictures of them regularly but they would rather not be around people so the stay away if people are in the area. Below is a picture a ranger’s trail camera took on the trail just past my property in Utah.

In contrast there is an increasing number of cases in California of cougars found in neighborhoods and cougars seen stalking kids walking to and from school. A lot of the problem in California has to do with the passing of the mountain lion protection law which prevents Fish & Game from controlling the population of the cougars. It is yet another one of those feels good laws which goes against common sense.

Mark
                            Attached Files

Comment

I believe it has to do with California being more populated,there is nowhere for the cougars to go.They have a large roaming space.They are also becoming more and more bold having so many human creatures so easy to pick off.Hey,if I was one I would consider snatching one of those soft hide,no fanged clawless critters.Piece of cake,just hope I can get away before the big one with the fire stick shows up.

Comment

Working...
                              X