X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Global Warming

Billmoy, that was a very well balanced and thought out post. In response, maybe solar power can do more if we make the investment and as for windmills, there are still plenty of places they can be housed that would not annoy the general public. I still think the biggest problem preventing development of these technologies including electric vehicles is big business, big oil and powerful people who stand to lose. There is no simplistic cure, no quick fix to our problems of pollution and rising costs of gasoline, home heating oil and energy. I am certain as the price of gasoline begins to near $4.00 a gallon more and more of us will start looking towards these alternatives and wonder why our legislators have done so little to support their advancement.

Comment

I often wonder what would happen if the US government started a program to solar power military bases and government buildings ..Say to start totally solar power 5 bases and 5 buildings the 1st year then 6 of each the next year plus do an incentive for a more efficient type solar cell..mass production lowers costs on everything..right now tho with the current technology its kinda a trade off..it takes lots of energy to produce a solar cell and the chemicals used aren't exactly enviromentaly friendly.
      In time I'm sure the problems with solar can be solved.Wind ,solar ,nuclear power, coal power..its always ..not in my backyard..perhaps its time everyone gets over that and think of leaving some resources for future generations.
      I'm not a tree hugger type nor do I believe the current scare of man is responsible for global warming..I really think its 99% a product of nature.. and if not then however if we can help reduce it even a bit why not as we can't exactly just pickup and move to another planet
      Sam

Comment

This thread and the Hybirds (cars) thread should be combined. There are a lot of good ideas on both threads. Maybe they could be sent to all of our Senators and Congressmen.

(It is actually hybrid not hybird).

Comment

The private sector is moving ahead pretty well without the gov't.Saw a show last night that had a product that was a continuous 10" plyable solar strip that costs less than half of what the current market is offering.

They better keep a lower profile or the gov's going to hand'em a few hundred million,then bury it.Our find a way to profit margin it equal to fossil feul

Comment

I'm not sure if I saw this during the movie "Who Killed The Electric Car", but there was a mention that at one time there were solar panels on the part of the White House not sure which President had them installed but I think it was Regan who immediately had them removed once he was elected?Maybe back then then reason had to do with looks more than big business, but let's not kid ourselves any technology that threatens Big Oil profits and powerful people including our legislators will continue to face an uphill fight regardless of how it may benefit the average American. GM pulled the plug on their Electric Car the EV1 and people who leased and drove them had nothing but praise. GM then went on to buy up patents on better batteries. Why buy up these patents if you no longer made an electric car? Possibly to prevent others from having this advanced technonlgy. Well pretty soon GM will market anothe plug in Electric Car, the "Volt" and maybe they will allow this car to stay in use?
            Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Waste Not - Want Not

I think the real problems come from all the energy that's being wasted. Think of all the heat from engines that just gets dumped into air outside of fuel buring engines. Now if you can try to think of something useful to do with all of that heat. In large stationary engine use plants they use it to heat buildings and domestic water. Exhaust heat is used to flash water into steam. Maybe engineers over time can find a way to make good use of all the heat energy currently being wasted.

How about if everyone just tried to save a little on energy use through better use of his/her brain? Please don't leave things running or on when not needed. You'll save more than you might think.

Comment

Working...
              X