Global Warming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming

BEIJING, Oct. 21 (Xinhuanet) -- Most Americans think emissions from cars and industrial plants should be the primary cause of global warming and the United States should reduce their levels, according to a survey quoted by media reports Sunday.

The survey, conducted by the CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll, showed 56 percent of respondents said the phenomenon of global warming has been proven, and can be largely blamed on human endeavors, such as power plants and factories.
    In comparison, 21 percent claimed global warming problems are caused either by natural changes or are unproven.

Also, 66 believed the United States should do what it can to reduce global warming, even if other nations ignore it. This compares with 52 percent of respondents who believed that way in 2001. The survey of 1,212 adults was conducted Oct. 12-14 and has a sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Re: Global Warming

That's a beautiful picture of the Ice, but it represents something very serious. When we have these back and forth discussions on Global warming, some of the folks in my town are quick to point out that is has not been proven beyond a doubt and all the other evidence they have that mankind is not responsible for changes in weather, climate and so on. My thoughts are, why wait to be proven right or wrong to take some simple positive steps? Would it kill us to develop more or better hybrid or electric plugin cars, solar and wind generators? Even if we don't make much of a dent in the environment which I think we would, we would surely cut down on gasoline, home heating oil and dependancy on foreign oil. I'll probably sound paranoid, but I think the big power players prevent a lot of this progress from taking place, big business loses when we save.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      That's a beautiful picture of the Ice, but it represents something very serious. When we have these back and forth discussions on Global warming, some of the folks in my town are quick to point out that is has not been proven beyond a doubt and all the other evidence they have that mankind is not responsible for changes in weather, climate and so on. My thoughts are, why wait to be proven right or wrong to take some simple positive steps? Would it kill us to develop more or better hybrid or electric plugin cars, solar and wind generators? Even if we don't make much of a dent in the environment which I think we would, we would surely cut down on gasoline, home heating oil and dependancy on foreign oil. I'll probably sound paranoid, but I think the big power players prevent a lot of this progress from taking place, big business loses when we save.

I know what you mean.

I would be the first one that would go hybrid at least,but my husband wants his stupid truck....He says you need it...everything else is a death trap here in CA...

Imagine everyone changing their suv's to compact cars...

Comment

welcome to the United States.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Everyone wants to help the environment out as long as their lives aren't interrupted. Although the technology to make fuel more efficent isn't quite there; the human race does know how to reduce waste and consumption but will ignore it. How many of us bring our own bags to the grocery store? How many of us have more cars than we need or bigger than we need? If driving at 55 mph reduces fuel consumption by 20%-50% why don't we all drive at 55mph or less? It's because these actions and others that we could do to save the environment would hiccup our self-serving lives. Even the hypocrite Al Gore who just won the Nobel prize for his environmental actions doesn't follow his own advice. http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp
          My own actions are not spectacular either so don't think I'm being self righteous. I'm simply stating an observation on human behavior.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Everyone wants to help the environment out as long as their lives aren't interrupted. Although the technology to make fuel more efficent isn't quite there; the human race does know how to reduce waste and consumption but will ignore it. How many of us bring our own bags to the grocery store? How many of us have more cars than we need or bigger than we need? If driving at 55 mph reduces fuel consumption by 20%-50% why don't we all drive at 55mph or less? It's because these actions and others that we could do to save the environment would hiccup our self-serving lives. Even the hypocrite Al Gore who just won the Nobel prize for his environmental actions doesn't follow his own advice. http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp
            My own actions are not spectacular either so don't think I'm being self righteous. I'm simply stating an observation on human behavior.

In my country you bring your own bag to the grocery store ..otherwise you pay a dollar per tiny plastic bag...we have smaller cars and some of them run on the natural gas...current gas price is like 6-7 dollar per gallon..
            sigpic

Robert

Comment

Here in CT seems when a woman gets divorced she gets a big SUV in the settlement. I wouldn't mind driving a hybrid or plugin but there has to be more of a level playing field, give me a fighting chance against the other vehicles on the road. "Who Killed The Electric Car" was a real interesting movie and got me thinking why we are paying $3.00 a gallon for gas when we could be plugging our cars in at night and driving for pennies. I'd like to have a big 4x4 but then I think when gas hits $4.00 a gallon next year? Do I want to pay $150.00 or so to fill the tank? I lived through the gas shortage of the seventies and instead of getting smarter, here we are driving ten to fifteen mile per gallon monsters. Where have our legislators been for the last thirty years? Maybe if they tried we would still have global warming, but we would probably be in better shape in the areas of gasoline, home heating oil, and energy in general. GM is coming out with a plugin car called the "Volt" supposed to get 50 miles on a single charge and then switch to a small generator to power the batteries. Imagine if the government said we will allow you to deduct half the purchase price from your taxes? Sure they would take a hit on income taxes, but imagine all the revenue it would generate in other places? I don't know what the right thing to do is, but just sitting around watching prices go up when we have effective technology that could help us is frustrating.

Comment

why does not the "green community" consider the suns intensity, as it varies and has been going through a hotter than normal cycle.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...jan_solcon.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0518083117.htm

http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA203.html

and how much was reported of the mistake NASA found on the data do to a Y2K bug in one of there programs that recorded data on climate,

http://www.dailytech.com/Blogger+fin...rticle8383.htm

and if some warming had not taken place many of us would still be living on glaciers, (remember the ICE AGE), more than likely ice has been melting more and more over the centuries,
                Think about it, you start out with a huge block of Ice, (ice age) it is massive, even heat is applied it melts, but when you get down to the last little bit is it jsut going to sit there or melt or and even melt faster as it loses volume.

I am not saying that one should not conserve and be careful with our natural resources, and one may even be adding a little to it, not arguing it, but the heat of the sun will have the most effect, remember in the per 1970's were were going into a new ICE AGE, that was the TEACHING THEN.

saw a study once on that cows put out more green house gases than cars do,
                http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...r1=environment

http://www.fao.org/newsroom/en/news/...448/index.html

now before cows, there were millions of buffalo that roamed the prairies, and there were thousands of other cud chewing critters out there putting out there "green house gases".

Now the earth has been changing since it created, there has been many, many, changes, and I am sure that there will many, many, more before this is jsut another cold barren ball of rock floating through space.

Even if we went back to the "stone age" (actually would do more environmental damage, by deforestation) I really do not believe that there would be that much change that would take place by climate. It going to do what wants to, I do not think we can control it any more than I can control a tornado or a hurricane.

THE current green movement is more about CONTROL and REDISTRIBUTION OF MONEYS than that of the climate,

where is the worst pollution and environmental damage, it is not in the west in Montana or Wyoming or even Colorado, it is in coastal cities of the east and west, but where do they want to remove and "restore" the land to pristine condition, why not Long Island, NY
                I am sure 300 years ago it was a beautiful natural location, now look at the mess man has made on the land there, or even the city of Washington DC, I my opinion the people who live there should worry about the environmental damage they are doing to there own area, not thousands of miles off, and bother others where they do not live.

One thing about farmers and ranchers, there probly some of the most environmental friendly people out there, as if they do not protect the land the land will not work for them. It is there lively hood and there best interest to care for and preserve the land for them and there future generations, People in a city do not buy a home for them and then plan on passing it on to there kids and even there grand children, that is not there thought process, that is normally the hope and desire of a Farmer or a Rancher.

I do think one of the bigger crimes this generation is doing is what man has always done and that is "rape" the land, the use of natural resources is at an alarming rate,

The use of fuels, (example: with the EPA and the clean air act, the use of gasoline went up cars got less miles per gallon, when the EPA enacted there requirements, now if the EPA would have pushed gas mileage, (it is sickening when a 1952 Chevy pickup gets better gas mileage than a 2007 unit), now maybe I am not getting something here, but say a motor gets 10 mpg, and puts out 5 X undesirables, Now if you can get 100 mpg, and it puts out 50 X undesirables, Is the pollution any worst on a per mile basis. and a engine getting 100 mph has to be fairly efficient, and usually efficiency means a reduced pollution.
                I think we would have no more pollution via autos, and have much better gas mileage.

I am not for controls of individuals, but many of the ones that are pushing the green are living in meg mansions (even the reverend Al Gore with the church of global warming)
                http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.a...70227c.html%20

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/house.asp

My son in law works as an electrician in Jackson WY, and tells me about the mega mansions of the rich and famous that he was either worked on or others have worked on, and how they have electrical heated drive ways to melt the snow off, some of the parking lots are nearly an acre in size, and some of the owners are some of the biggest supporters of the green movements. (and most have been build largely by illegal labors).

(ps. I tried for three years to put up my own grid tie wind generator, and the electrical company would not even talk to me hardly definitely was not going to allow it with out a fight.).
                Last edited by BHD; 10-23-2007, 09:47 AM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

My second company is a misting fan rental/leasing business. It hit the ground running just on the tail end this year and next year will be great.

And, they are predicting an even hotter summer next year in my area. All the festivals and outdoor events lost money. Time to roll.
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I hear you BHD!!

I'm all for controlling waste, and making cars less polluting, but could care less about global warming and idiotic schemes like "carbon offset credits" and the like.

I want less pollution so that we have cleaner air to breathe and don't have a blanket of smog descending on us every now and then.

I want less waste so we don't go filling up giant landfills with trash.

I want more recycling so we don't go on consuming our resources only to then fill the landfills with them.

I do NOT want my money going to a bunch of political tree huggers looking to line their own pockets.

I do NOT want to be forced into paying taxes toward environmental movements to save some arctic wasteland somewhere or plant a bunch of trees. People who want that stuff can pay for it. I don't feel I should be forced to.

I want people to drive safer cars that use less gas so that the demand will come down and we can all pay less for it.

I realize that much of this is somewhat selfish, but it's not just for me. It's for me and future generations. Just don't give me doomsday stories using falsified data and unproven theories to scare me into paying my part and lining other people's pockets.

Comment

Wow, is this the only forum with a bunch of intelligent common sense people? Or maybe the so called SURVEYS from the media are a bunch of crap designed to scare us to buy the BS CREDITS etc etc. Or vote for a certain politician. This forum gives me hope that Americans are not that dumb. We don't buy all the BS some politicians & others are telling us what we should or shouldn't do & yet they do the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by JWMustang View Post
                        Wow, is this the only forum with a bunch of intelligent common sense people? Or maybe the so called SURVEYS from the media are a bunch of crap designed to scare us to buy the BS CREDITS etc etc. Or vote for a certain politician. This forum gives me hope that Americans are not that dumb. We don't buy all the BS some politicians & others are telling us what we should or shouldn't do & yet they do the opposite.
                        Cause so many here know the value of sweat and blood.

Comment

We at know it aint no joke any more, whats going on with our weather!
                          Meny years ago Al Gore spoke up about the warming, and he was treshed out with words by the Bush famely
                          Well, just take a look at Al Gore now! And the Bushes now!
                          I aint gona upen that can of worms, But Gore sure did come out a winner.
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
                          Be safe out there folks
                          Bob B
                          =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Comment

al gore also won the peace prize with in the last month as well for his work, i may not like him but i do admire him.
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

As with any problem, you have to research the subject and not just jump on a "solution"

Take the electric car, for example. It, by itself, generates no greenhouse gases so lets all drive electrics, right.

Problem is that will only relocate the pollution to the power generation facilities. As more and more people switch to electric cars, the power plants would have to burn more fuel to keep up with the increasing demand.

So we can simply build more power plants, right? Who's back yard should we build them in? Should they be conventional coal, gas or nuclear?

All three of these sources have serious consequences of disposal of their by- products (flyash or nuclear waste) or diversion of a high quality resource (gas) to a low quality industrial use. In the case of coal, how can we mine it and distribute it (obsolete railroads) without adversely effecting the environment?

Also, if we all switched to electric vehicles our aging electrical distribution network would become overburdened with the rapid increase in demand and would require upgrading.

Windmills are the answer. Would you like to live near one? The whoosh of the blades 24/7 will drive you daffy.

There are no easy, simplistic solutions. People must become educated about the pros and cons of all of the forms of energy consumption/production.

I can remember the simplistic motto of the anti nuclear activists of the 70's as they railed against the nuclear plant being built in Seabrook NH "Split wood not atoms". They failed to realize that New Hampshire and most of Maine were deforested at the beginning of the 20th century in order to provide firewood to the Boston area.

As of today, massive reduction in the consumption of resources will help to alleviate the problems of greenhouse gases and energy consumption until some long range solutions are developed.

Look at Europe. For decades, the Europeans have had high taxes on gasoline and as a result their automobiles are smaller and burn less gas. They don't use many SUV's simply to "carry all my stuff'". Maybe we should all learn to get along with less "Stuff" so that we can leave some "Stuff" to our children and grandchildren.

We all need to become heavily involved in the solution. Do not let one group, be it scientists, politicians, industry or "tree huggers" make the decisions for us. Look at the big picture. We can have progress and reduced global warming and decreased consumption if we are all reasonable in our expectations.

Comment

Working...
                              X