Could We Slip Into Recession

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could We Slip Into Recession

H.I.Solution, prayers and best wishes to your family members in Iraq. I don't like that we have to apologize for not supporting the War in Iraq as if we sympathize we those murdering bastards who attacked us here. I'm all for stronger measures that don't involve the risk of life and limb to our brave American troops. All I keep hearing on the news is how Iran is building up for nuclear strike capability, same with North Korea. Now Russia is starting crap again, heck the U.N. and diplomacy doesn't seem to get us anywhere. No, I don't think we are headed in a good direction and I hope things turn around before we get into further problems. I'm only fifty four years old, younger than a lot of the guys here who are still working hard and maybe doing more than one job but my bodies messed up from all the years I did work and a car accident a few years ago. When you are feeling good it's hard to understand how you can hurt so bad that you can't sleep right or do a simple days work but it happens. I admire all the folks who struggle on to better themselves and their families, I do my best around the property and house but my days of holding a job are gone. Last year after a bad wind storm I got my chainsaws and some rigging and helped a neighbor remove two trees that fell one still hung up in another tree. I only worked for about three hours but I was hurting for days. Like Clint Eastwood said " A Man's Got To Know His Limitations". I miss them big paychecks, but I don't miss giving one third of my hard earned money to the government to support people who never worked. This is the land of opportunity no doubt, hope we can save it for our kids.

Comment

I am almost afraid to get into political debate on a plumbing forum but too much has been said to leave it alone.

As far as feeling safer after 911 that is a skewed argument. Prior to 911 we had not been attack as we were on 911. As we had never experienced such an attack on our homeland how could we possibly fear one? The real question should be do you feel safer today then you did on 911

As the father of two Iraqi veterans I support the war in Iraq 100%. Perhaps before you talk about a war based on lies you should revisit the history of what led up to the war. With Saddam firing on our jets almost every day and financing terrorist in Israel why wouldn't we believe him when he said he had weapons of mass destruction?

As far as insurance companies, they are in business to make money. How many people start a business to see how much money they can lose? And yes believe it or not they do lose money. As a matter of fact I have lost tens of thousands of dollar due to insurance companies which have gone bankrupt while still owing me money.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        I am almost afraid to get into political debate on a plumbing forum but too much has been said to leave it alone.

As far as feeling safer after 911 that is a skewed argument. Prior to 911 we had not been attack as we were on 911. As we had never experienced such an attack on our homeland how could we possibly fear one? The real question should be do you feel safer today then you did on 911

As the father of two Iraqi veterans I support the war in Iraq 100%. Perhaps before you talk about a war based on lies you should revisit the history of what led up to the war. With Saddam firing on our jets almost every day and financing terrorist in Israel why wouldn't we believe him when he said he had weapons of mass destruction?

As far as insurance companies, they are in business to make money. How many people start a business to see how much money they can lose? And yes believe it or not they do lose money. As a matter of fact I have lost tens of thousands of dollar due to insurance companies which have gone bankrupt while still owing me money.

Mark
        OPEN DISCUSSION MARK

Comment

Zeljka,

I know we are in the right forum it is just I hate debating politics on the Internet as it is non-dimensional. It is too easy to get the wrong impression of someone you have never net based on his posted words.

Mark

Comment

mark i agree with you and since i am always so short with my words i have been acaused of beeing rude and nasty and a smart butt, but in truth my spelling sucks i don't hide the fact because i feel it is a flaw of mine and when some one gives me crap i tend to to remind that person they to are not perfect.

also the computer has no face so you can not look at me nor hear the tone in my voice to know how i'm saying what i'm saying

hope that made scents
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Mark
              Mark, I'm glad you got your sons home and I hope they are well. Taking sadaam, and his raping torturing and murdering sons and cohorts out of power was fine with me but we opened the door for a lot more mental cases to cause trouble over there. Why did we stop with Iraq and allow that moron in Iran to fuel the fire causing more harm to our troops? From the comfort and safety of my home it's easy to make these comments but I do appreciate all our way of life provides and the people such as your sons who risk everything to preserve it. Do you think stronger military action such as bombing might prevent further escalation in the future without having to keep our troops in that part of the world? To answer the question of how I feel now after 911? I like most people live with an illusion of security. I have a shotgun in the house and carry a weapon for personal safety, but seriously with so many soft targets how can we truly be safe? Our government can't possibly prevent and protect us from every terrorist plan and eventually there will be another successful attack. I'm more concerned with paying bills and other issues facing my family on a daily basis. I have a daughter in college so the campus killings are on my mind from time to time. I'm not worried but concerned with the price of oil and how it will impact our lives. I trust our government will do what it can to protect our country from attack, but I'm not at all pleased with how many other serious issues have been handled. I have a question to ask the Forum, do you feel confident that any of the presidential candidates will be able to resolve problems such as our economy, open borders, illegal aliens, social security or anything else if elected?

Comment

I understand your concern but I believe personal safety is different for all of us depending on what you are doing. In the 80's I carried a concealed weapon knowing in was illegal in LA but also knowing I needed it. Today I am doing other things and carrying a weapon is less important.

I sent all six of my kids off to college and I feel your concern over the cost. I still don't know how we did it but I am glad that we did. One of my regrets in life was not getting a college degree.

My son Jared is no longer in the Military as 6-years waqs enough but my son Jaysen is on the list for promotion to Major by the begining of next year. His biggest concern is those who want to put limits on getting his job done.

After watching both the Senate and the House over the last few years I doubt any canidate who comes from either could change anything. What we need is some new meat who is not in debt to anyone.

Mark

Comment

Mark
                  This is an open discussion...I was under the impression that I could talk openly about this subject.
                  I guess you could consider this a "skewed" question...however, we HAD been attacked prior to 911...remember Oklahoma? Let me guess, that didn't count? I'm not sure what the last question you posed means...you asked the same question I asked...or did you mean it in a different context taking into account the word "on"? If thats the case, then why do we still have the barrage of security checkpoints at the airport? If you think we are so safe, then why all the heightened security and color coded alerts?
                  Let me first reiterate that I DID infact apologize in advance in my post if I offended anyone. Apparently, I offended you...and once again I would like to apologize. I was simply stating my opinion...which I am indeed entitled to...and no, I don't expect ANYONE to agree with it. My father and three uncles were in Vietnam and both of my grandfathers in WWI. I believe in this country and the freedom which they fought for. Last time I checked, Saddam was dead and Osama is still alive. Hmm... Have we found any weapons of mass destruction? And when and if they ever do catch Osama, do you think you will be any safer? Just because a person is president, doesn't mean that everything that comes out of his mouth is the truth. He is capable of having his own personal agendas carried out at the expense of others just like anyone else in a position of power. Apparently Clinton and Nixon were saints right? I think Reagan had the right idea when he posed the question about what would happen if we, as a planet, were threatened by some outside force. Our silly little petty wars here on Earth would just have to be put aside along with our differences so that we could all work together collectively to defend our PLANET.
                  I think perhaps you are overlooking a glaring contradiction here. You say that you have lost tens of thousands of dollars to insurance companies who have gone bankrupt and still owed you money...Uh...YOU lost money...they didn't lose a thing my friend. I think pehaps you should look at the history of the word "insurance"...they are literally insuring a risk...a possibilty of losing money is always present, however, the POTENTIAL to make even more money than the risk is worth is far greater for them...and hey, in the end, they can always file bankruptcy, right? It's almost like you are defending them while you are complaining about them. Maybe I misunderstood you...again, I'm sorry if I took it out of context.
                  Mark, we live in a wonderful country...and I am thankful for your sons and my family doing what they do. And you are right about what you said regarding talking politics on the interenet...I can't see your face or your expressions...I can't hear the empathy or inflections in your voice...and likewise, you cant see or hear mine. So, like gentlemen, perhaps we should agree to disagree...maybe even go fishing... I'll even buy you lunch...
                  Nick

Comment

These kinds of discussions will usually become a bit heated and with good reason. Unlike Mark I don't have sons who served or are serving in the military and I see insurance companies as for profit businesses that do whatever they can to payout as little as possible. Nick I tend to see your side of these things more because of my life experiences unlike Mark, but that does not mean we can't respect our right to disagree. I kind of get that overall feeling from both you guys, that you are each good people with different perspectives on these issues. The fact that neither of you has resorted to profanity or threats is a refreshing break from most other places on the Internet. So far no one here is hiding behind a keyboard purposely trying to annoy or intimidate anyone else. No trolls here, and that's a good thing. Thank you. Frank

Comment

Nick,

You give yourself way too much credit. I was not offended by anything you posted as we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I am also curious by one of your rebuttals. If your business goes bankrupt and you lose everything you don't consider that a personal lose?

Mark

Comment

As far as the insurance goes I think it depends on the situation. Most people do not pay the additional cost of flood insurance yet when they have flood damage they are upset they are not covered. That would be no different than you guys automatically being required to carry earthquake insurance when you are not worry about an earthquake.

Insurance is all about risk management but it works both way. When the insurance company sells a policy they understand the risk and hope they don't have a claim. When a homeowner decides to save money and not buy coverage hopefully they understand the risk as well.

I happen to carry both earthquake insurance and flood insurance even though I live on the side of a hill far above a flood plain. Who would have thought it but my flood insurance covered me when my hill slid and a giant pine tree fell over.

Mark

Comment

Nick,

You give yourself way too much credit. I was not offended by anything you posted as we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I am also curious by one of your rebuttals. If your business goes bankrupt and you lose everything you don't consider that a personal lose?

Mark
                          Mark, Mark, Mark...you and I shouldn't discuss topics outside of tools. Is it my age? Should I have left that part out? I know you are older than me and therefore by default you are much more wiser than me and superior in every way. You have had years and years of more life experiences than me and so you are able to forsee a more practical solution to anything I could come up with. Anyway, I DO NOT give myself ANY credit...thats just it. I was trying to be humble and considerate to you and just thought I would apologize because I felt that I had done something to offend you. Um...I guess I am sorry I "didn't" offend you? Is that better?
                          Even though I have an answer, I will leave the insurance company question alone as you already have a superior reply.
                          Are you sure you don't want to go fishing?

Comment

I'm happy to see you guys still be'in civil. A quick word about homeowners insurance, to get the best from your insurance company in the event of a loss due to theft, fire or natural disaster consider videotaping your home contents. The best way to do this is to start outside the home and get some points of reference to prove it IS your home, then without stopping the tape continue inside. Open closets to record contents, often clothing will completely burn. Make sure to record and insure separately collectables. Store the tape in a safe place and update it yearly. Your insurance company may not appreciate your videotaping efforts but if you ever need to prove your claim you will be glad you did.

Comment

Some general points

I donate my services, discount my charges to the fellow countrymen and women who've served this country, no matter what their detail/duties included.

I give absolutely no discounts to anyone who spouts in detest of our troops that brings harm to the moral of our good countrymen and women.

The money goes to the troops when I donate and give to a good cause.

War is not a choice, nor is it an opinion, it is an event that happens in the theater of life and you have no control over it. History always repeats itself and don't expect the world to not encounter another war.

It will be here soon enough, as history dictates it.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Re: Some general points

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                                I donate my services, discount my charges to the fellow countrymen and women who've served this country, no matter what their detail/duties included.

I give absolutely no discounts to anyone who spouts in detest of our troops that brings harm to the moral of our good countrymen and women.

The money goes to the troops when I donate and give to a good cause.

War is not a choice, nor is it an opinion, it is an event that happens in the theater of life and you have no control over it. History always repeats itself and don't expect the world to not encounter another war.

It will be here soon enough, as history dictates it.
                                I agree that it has got to be a blow to moral to be fighting the enemy and be aware that your fellow country men do not support your being there. The same situation occured when American troops were fighting in Vietnam. The conflict facing Americans is similar now as it was back then, or at least many Americans perceive it to be the same. They see us involved in a war that does not have a foreseeable end. They believe we became involed in this was under false pretenses. Here we are a people who have rights enjoyed by few if any other human beings on our planet. Rights fought for by fellow Americans, paid for with their limbs and lives, ensured by the continued self less acts and service by present day American troops. Many of us seem to be faced with a dilemna, stay quiet so as not to disturb the moral of our troops and be accused of being bad Americans, or speak out in "Protest" against this War in hopes that no more brave Americans will be wounded or die in Iraq. I don't know which is worse? I really don't know what the right thing is when given a choice to either stay quiet and do nothing in protest or speak out and clearly send a bad message to our troops? I do think if we are the greatest nation, a nation of freedoms and rights, a nation that continues to remain free, then there must be the atmosphere to dissent. Unpleasant as it may be to think our troops moral will suffer because of the exercising of the rights for which they fight, we as true Americans must allow this conduct and not repress it because to do so changes what separates our great country from the rest of the not so free world. The War in Iraq is creating new American heroes every day, men who prove that heroes are not a thing of the past but live on today. They do deserve our respect and support for their service and sacrifice, but at the same time the deserve to know that our freedoms will not be bound and gaged if we believe the cause is wrong. You are probably a good man, working hard and doing what you believe is honest and right. I think we can't allow history to repeat itself by quietly accepting what many believe is wrong on the part of our government, not our troops. The Vietnam Veteran was not treated with the respect he was due and I think Americans have learned from that history lesson. The soldier who has served in Iraq is more greatly appreciated and I hope he or she knows this by the way they are treated when they come home by the American public and government, regardless of the way many feel about the War itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X