Could We Slip Into Recession

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could We Slip Into Recession

with respect to the war in Iraq the blogger, Michael Yon, has a good perspective.

the link is here: http://michaelyon-online.com/

as an ex-pat I get the opportunity every day to see the US through outsider's eyes.

It may be bad in the US relatively speaking but compared to other countries the US still has it good.

That is why there are thousands of people crossing the porous border every year and "doing the jobs no-one else will do" like construction, plumbing, gardening, etce etc.

Comment

Originally posted by franklie View Post

That is why there are thousands of people crossing the porous border every year and "doing the jobs no-one else will do" like construction, plumbing, gardening, etce etc.

we well do these things but we wont do it for $10 an hour. and then send half of that out of this country.

i mean you no disrespect, i speak in a broad trem as not to single any one person out
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

That is why there are thousands of people crossing the porous border every year and "doing the jobs no-one else will do" like construction, plumbing, gardening, etce etc. [/QUOTE]

If this was said as a joke or sarcastically I get it, but when people say this seriously I want to punch them out. Pay an American a living wage and he/she will do any and every job there is out there. Trades People, Union and non Union workers are faced with ever rising costs too many to list here. Those tens of thousands entering here illegally abuse our many governmental systems for which we pay one way or the other. Level the playing field, demand that the Day Laborers (slave laborers as I call them) be paid whatever it would cost to hire a licensed and insured American worker or send the person hiring to jail! You would quickly see that Americans are not lazy. "No one else will do"? I've worked in every kind of garbage, filth, and diseased ridden **** to support my family. All I asked in return was a income sufficient to pay my bills and better my situation. With the twisted thinking mentioned above, why not fire every American worker and replace them with illegals making three dollars and hour and living twenty to room? Then when we can't afford our homes, cars and trucks, electronics, vacations, colleges for our children, health care and TAXES, you can see how much those great illegal workers can kick in? We can't build much if the factories are gone, we can't fix much if illegals are working for peanuts. Secure our borders and find out who is in our country, make them choose between staying here and paying taxes or leaving for good! Something has to be done.

Comment

Unfortunately the illegal workers will be here till its not profitable for the employer.To me a simple solution to that is fine the employer say 5k for each worker plus the entire cost to catch round them up and send them back.All that would probably add up to 10k fine for each worker so soon I'd think it'd stop.I have absolutely nothing against people wanting to live and work here just do it legally.Even setup a worker program that the country they are from checks out the background qualifications etc and do a spot check on it then set limits.Sorry but I really don't want a terrorist even picking beans here.
          Sam

Comment

My apologies to anyone that I offended with my comment "That is why there are thousands of people crossing the porous border every year and "doing the jobs no-one else will do" like construction, plumbing, gardening, etce etc."

I was actually being sarcastic and my comment was a jab at the current political staus quo.

I have read enough from these forums and heard enough from my friends in the trades that the comments from the politcos, like what I quoted above, could be used to fertilize vegetables.

I agree with OSC and Frankiearmz that people undercutting wages by living in squalor and 5 to 10 persons per room make it d*mn hard for honest trades people to make a living.

I first saw the wage undercutting in the late '70's early '80's in the So Cal region.

Comment

frankie you did not offend me i simply replied to what you had said. yes the situation upsets me, but you did not
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Another problem with the "cheap labor" is that a lot of what the is now done that way used to be done by Jr High and HS kids. They won't even think about it now so when they graduate, they think "it is all about the children" and that they shouldn't have to work for a living. Working on the farms growing up I learned the value of money, that it isn't free, and learned how to manage it before I graduated. Any "allowance" I got was predicated on doing all the assigned chores first, completely, without having to be told to do them, and I was lucky to get that $.25 every month.
                So, the result is that when US kids leave school, they know not the meaning of work, money, budget, or you get what you pay for. Fast food and fast money is their upbringing, so sellin' coke on the corner is definitely more attractive than actually having to do something productive to get rewarded with a steady income.
                One of the farmers in the paper here was bemoaning the fact that he has to pay $1000 up front and then $10 per hour for his migrant labor and he "couldn't get anyone local to do the work". This is in a county where the average wage is $8.50. And he can't get someone to work for $10 per hour without the $1000 up front? Sorry, don't add up to me. He isn't really paying $10 per hour and I have yet to see anyone advertising for work in the fields.
                We have "protected" our kids to the point of making them non-productive and unmotivated. Was I taken advantage of when I worked on the farms? You bet. Did I learn from it? You bet. I learned that I had to get some education unless I wanted it to continue, and that ain't nothin' free.
                The illegal work force is not only sapping our economy, it is sapping the soul of our youth. Part of growing up is to learn fiscal responsibility, and it definitely is not being taught in the schools. That is society's job and by allowing the "hidden class" to do the menial work, we are robbing our progeny of that basic benchmark to which they should measure their lives. There was good cause for child labor laws, but they have been distorted to the point they have become destructive.

JMTCW

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by threecreeks3 View Post
                  Unfortunately the illegal workers will be here till its not profitable for the employer.To me a simple solution to that is fine the employer say 5k for each worker plus the entire cost to catch round them up and send them back.All that would probably add up to 10k fine for each worker so soon I'd think it'd stop.I have absolutely nothing against people wanting to live and work here just do it legally.Even setup a worker program that the country they are from checks out the background qualifications etc and do a spot check on it then set limits.Sorry but I really don't want a terrorist even picking beans here.
                  Sam
                  I don't think the terrorists will be picking beans, but I agree with the rest of your post. I know many of the illegals doing skilled and semi skilled jobs are fine hardworking people but they are breaking our laws and disrupting our economy. Without getting into another disturbing debate on Iraq, I can't understand how we can say we are at war or conducting a war on terrorism and yet refuse to seal our borders tight? If we can spend hundreds of billions of dollars on the war, we should be able to secure the border big as it is. It's not the great wall of china and we have the resources. We deserve to know who is in our country and to have them support our government as we do through taxes. How long can our legislators ignore the obvious? We keep losing jobs through outsourcing and manufacturing to the third world and right here to illegals. Change is called for but how and when? We won't go hungry tomorrow and I hope no one here is close to losing their home, but common sense needs to put the brakes on all this stupidity, and sooner than later.

Comment

Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

A lot of the aliens I have watched work do a fair job of what they are doing. I am not talking about the day-laborers I am talking about guys who have been here for a while and have been trained to perform their jobs. That being said if they are here illegally they are a drain on the system. I do not have a problem with a guest-worker program but I believe they should be sponsored by an employer who is responsible to provide all of their social needs. If they have children in school, if their housing needed to be subsidized, if they needed medical care their employer would have to cover it.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Disturbing Reality

See chart at bottom of page.

There's 200 foreclosed homes in just my city limits alone.
                        Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 11-14-2007, 11:40 PM.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                        X