Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60F and dropping where is my PARKA

60F and dropping where is my PARKA

Just got back from running Wal-Mart and blockbuster, outside temperature is 60F, and dropping. Half of the people wearing sweaters and jackets. Stores have ski caps,gloves and other cold weather gear on display throughout the stores. IF it gets much colder people around here will be wearing parkas and snow mobile suits. Life will come to screeching halt, the no heat calls will begin to flood the office, Floridians will huddle in their homes, trying to keep the house from getting below 70F with the heat pumps and electric strip heat. Some who are well prepared for this next ice age were temperatures might hit 50F over night have gas heat and will be most likely to survive. The out look looks bleak. I may have to close the windows in the next few hours, before hyperthermia sets in and I can no longer type. IF and ONLY IF I get truly desperate, I may be forced to cuddle with wifee poo to survive this artic like weather. Whelp I need to measure the Labrador and Rottweiller for a dog sled harness, I will try to post tomorrow IF I survive, IF Anyone is left alive here in central Florida after this below artic weather lifts I will try to get word to u all. Wish us luck!

From Ice Station Florida
    The gopher.

Re: 60F and dropping where is my PARKA

See Al Gore!...........this global warming thing is a FARCE!

now where did I put my mittens?

Comment

Starting to cold here now too....went from 80s last week to 45 here today
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

It was 35 when I rode my motorcycle to work Friday morning. I went for a 45 degree joyride this afternoon.

You FL people crack me up though. You arent one of the ones who hang icicle lights from the gutters for Christmas are you?

(above post all meant in good fun)

Comment

no sweat orange apron...Im a native of florida and find our reaction to "cold" too be funny as all get out. When it hits the 40s we all dress like we are going to the North Pole with Admeral Bird....but too us its cold.

Beign a native I did not see snow until I was 19 yrs old and the USMC decided to send my sothern arse to cold weather training....u could spot thouse from the south and north real quick...ones playing in the snow...makeing snow angles, snowman and such were from the south....people from up north stayed inside and giggled.

Comment

Too funny. I've been living in the desert since '99 and still get cracked up by the people here. Summer temps are around 115 and they keep their houses around 68 or 70 (and whine about high electric bills), but in the "winter" it drops all the way down to about 65 or 70 (50 for an overnight low) and they start their furnace and set it at about 80 or 82!
            ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

i live in south west florida, and to me it is finaly starting to be nice out side
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I am not a native Floridian like you EG. All is relative concerning the temperature.

On many occasions, in the Winter season, I have had native Floridians (and a lot of Snow Birds) ask me if I am cold wearing shorts while they are bundled up in jackets and gloves.

It was down in the 60's here in Fort Myers last night and is currently 78 F. This is the coolest it has been in over 7 months (for the last month it has been in the mid 90's). This morning I actually got cold water from the cold tap instead of the normal, near body temperature liquid.

The A/C is finally off and the doors and windows are open to let the delightful air inside.

The folks up North wait for winter so that they can go into their workshops as they get a break from "yard work". (We Floridians have "yard work" all year long). I relish the fact that my workshop will finally be cool enough that I can work without a sweat band on and a towel hanging from my back pocket and me dripping over my tools and projects.

I read postings from woodworkers up North about heating their shops, especially as energy prices are increasing. I was in that situation until moving down to Florida.

I now have the opposite problem, how to cool my shop. My house is Olde Florida style with a metal roof on the house and attached workshop (in which I sometimes park a car). I am considering insulating the garage ceiling, installing rigid foam in the garage door panels, and installing ceiling fans. The fans could also be another source of light.

Each of these options also have downsides. The fans will stir up dust, heat rising from a hot car engine will be trapped by the insulation in the ceiling and insulation adds weight to the garage door and could strain the door opener.

Adding A/C to the shop would be the best but it is not cost efficient and uses a lot of energy.

If only we could have solar powered air conditioners.

It may seem that I am complaining but I am not. No matter where we live there are Pros and Cons. Look at the Pros of the weather in your area, relax and enjoy them.

Comment

Working in new construction in AZ is funny in the winter...
                  As I am from Toronto (Canada) I am used to COLD weather and here everyone seems to bundle up as soon as the mercury reaches 60F...
                  I find myself being one of the few, if not the only, running around in a t-shirt in December and January in mid-day...
                  In the summer I do tend to feel the heat more than the natives, but that is, I guess, just fair...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by markts30 View Post
                    In the summer I do tend to feel the heat more than the natives, but that is, I guess, just fair...LOL
                    But its a "Dry heat" though right.

I can complain all the time, WI is a land of extremes it seems. We will see 90's and some 100's in the summer, but then we will see negatives in the winters too.

Right now its 45 and cloudy, but Monday is supposed to turn nasty I guess. I took the bike for a quick ride and then ran the carb out of gas in case it sits for awhile now. Im not "storing" it until Jan 2 though, I want to go for a New Years Day ride if the roads are dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Apron View Post
                      But its a "Dry heat" though right.

I can complain all the time, WI is a land of extremes it seems. We will see 90's and some 100's in the summer, but then we will see negatives in the winters too.

Right now its 45 and cloudy, but Monday is supposed to turn nasty I guess. I took the bike for a quick ride and then ran the carb out of gas in case it sits for awhile now. Im not "storing" it until Jan 2 though, I want to go for a New Years Day ride if the roads are dry.
                      A convection oven is also a "Dry Heat" but that doesn't make it comfortable. Here in the desert we often (too much this year!) get wicked heat, 115+ and the slightest humidity makes it miserable. Many times this last summer I'd go to work at 6 a.m. when it's over 100 and about 60% or more humidity. December makes up for it, though
                      ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X