Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Daughter Totaled ANOTHER car

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
    nope i can tell you that neither florida nor maryland has this law. i also think that law sucks, if my son is sitting at a red light and gets rearended by some 90 year old gray hair that can't see past the hood let alone the traffic light, he would lose his license?? just because he was in an accident. i mean come on that is not even close to fair.
    I agree that the circumstances of the accident have to be taken into consideration. As for getting her a Hummer, she may be safer but you are just giving her a more powerful weapon if she is careless.

Comment

[QUOTE=plumberscrack;

Driving is a privilege not a right[/QUOTE]

I remember that being a question on my driver's test

Originally posted by garager View Post
      In Minn. here, one car accident, when your under the age of 18, you lose your license, period............

Then you have to take a special course in drivers education to try and get it back, when you become 18...........

I cannot believe your state does not have this law, I really thought that this law, pertained to all states...........
      Same here in California
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

If theres no reason other then simple carelessness,ie no medical, physical etc problem.I'd be saying you got 2 feet girl use those till you can buy and insure a car on your own.At that age shes old enough to be somewhat responsible for her actions.
        Just my view Sam

Comment

I get her a bicycle, or a new pair of walking shoes.

After my son ran his little car off the road and totaled it , I said your buying your own and your own insurance, and for a time he did not have transportation.

my daughters really tried to do the same, I let them drive a 1969 Galaxie I had to take the tires off the rims more times to get straw or weeds out from the tire and the rim, for my first daughter, and my last daughter hit a slick spot on a dirt road, flew that car off the ditch that was 5 foot deep into a field rolling both tires off the drivers side slid it sideways about 30 yards, and finaly coming to a rest, never rolled it, pulled it back up on the road with the tractor, put the tires back on the rims and drove it for a few more years, she was doing about 60 when she ran it off, tough old car.
          Last edited by BHD; 11-11-2007, 09:22 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I remember when our son turned 16, I bought him an MG. It was a double-edged surprise!! First he was excited, but after a few weeks, I learned he simply wasn't interested. You see, the car came with a serious talk about responsibility, road behaviour, speed, manueverability, and the potentials for danger. He opted to "hoof-it" for his remaining high school years and the first two years at community college.

He didn't get his license until he started Cornell and in that first year he had a couple of fender benders and one total, with a head-on crash on a wintry day. Although the latter was not his fault, I felt it necessary to convey to him that he shouldn't have been on the highway under those weather conditions... so, in a way, it was his failure to recognize the potential, especially with so little experience. Fortunately, no-one was hurt beyond a few bruises and minor cuts.

Four years later he rolled his new Saturn, when three cars directly front of him collided and he went off the road in an attempt to avoid chaos. It was Christmas Eve and he showed up late for dinner, soaking wet, and covered in mud. He was lucky, because after his car went off the road and up the embankment, it rolled back down the bank, landing in the covert on the driver's side, where it caught fire. He managed to scramble out the sun roof.

The situation has made me a prayerful man! More importantly, my son has finally gained a healthy respect for what it takes to be a good driver. Thankfully, he hasn't had another accident since, and that's been almost fifteen years.

Driving is dangerous and our loved ones need to know all the aspects of that. They need to know what happends when metal meets metal at any speed and what happens to human flesh when it is part of that carnage.

Driving comes with a big responsibility, and one needs to pay attention to all aspects of that. Talking on the cell phone, blasting the entertainment system, joking with friends, or simply doing anything that takes one's attention from the task of driving a ton or more of steel down the road is simply irresponsible. I think your daughter needs a bit more education and I think you should take whatever steps necessary to ensure she lives a long and happy life.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by DSurette View Post
              Sorry about the car, but is she OK?
              Thank you..she was not injured..car is totaled more because its a cheap car...soo 2k worth of damnage is more than car is worth.

This has been a fun weekend...teenagers and cars drive u nuts...

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                It sounds like you should protect her by not allowing her to have a car.

Mark
                Not just her but the other drivers on the road. Driving should not be taken so lightly. The next time she may kill someone.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

It so odd how the Forum reflects so many things that I see in my daily travels.

Evil Gopher,Just this past week I have learned that a friend of mine's son has been involved in an accident that the son was responsible for.The driver is fine even though he hit the vehicle on her side.Unfortunately her 80 year old mother died of a heart attack due to the stress of the incident.

He IS being charged with involentary manslaughter.

Let your daughter know these things do happen when the risks are increased.

Comment

gopher,

Your daughter's safety should be foremost of your thoughts. Keep her safe and protect her whether that is taking away her car privileges or sending her to a special driving course.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

My sympathies, Gopher:
                      At this point, you aren't going to change her because she is in the "teen tunnel" where they never listen to their parents.
                      If you take away her ability to drive (providing the courts don't do that for you), are the people she will be riding with any better drivers? After all, if she hit a tree instead of doing a head-on with another car, is that a bad thing? The fact that bad judgement put her in the no-win situation is probably not something you can change at this point. I see many older drivers doing the same thing.
                      If you ground her, the courts will charge you with child abuse for not allowing her to socialize, and the complaint will come from her school counselors that feel she is "abused".
                      Good luck with the Lizard, and strongly consider any potential suitors that have a good propensity for vehicle repair!

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor View Post
                        My sympathies, Gopher:
                        Good luck with the Lizard, and strongly consider any potential suitors that have a good propensity for vehicle repair!

Go
                        Welp me and wifee poo will tell u Gofor that all 3 of my daughters have such a queen bee attitude (putting it nicely).....that I honestly see a long line of EX hubbies....even the way they talk to their friends on the phone makes me think..how can anyone talk to them on the phone and not come over and smack the heck out of them.....might be why my 27yr old is single....they are all high maintance, and like a tee shirt they once all had said "beyond B-tch".

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
                          My Daughter Totaled ANOTHER car. 3 accidents in just under 2 years....2nd totaled car. This goes with the 5 others she has managed to blow engines in and other such things to Kill them. 17yrs old and she is a serial killer of cars.

Cant wait to see what that Geico Lizard does to my rates ...I think instead of going would u like tea....going to get "want lube"
                          must have a comprehensive insurance on your car..

Comment

Post deleted by member.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 11-15-2007, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                              E G

Get one of these and USE it on your 3 girls. This will make them think and behave for you. This works best right as she comes out of the shower as it needs to dig into raw skin. Get them girls and make them behave.
                              What the hell is that about woussko, thats just plain sick thinking there....
                              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Woussko has officially been declared nuts!

Comment

Working...
                                X