No announcement yet.

this is really getting out of hand now

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is really getting out of hand now

Federal government tells 85-year-old grandmother not to put an angel on Christmas tree

Dear Paul,
    The Plant City Living Center has told Mrs. Arnold, an 85-year-old grandmother in Florida, that federal law prohibits her from displaying any religious words or items associated with Christmas in the common area of her apartment building.
    According to the Center, The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) issued a directive banning "any religious symbols or religious words associated with Christmas." Under the guidelines issued by HUD, the elderly grandmother cannot place a small Christmas tree outside her door (because that area is a "commons area") if it contains any religious symbols or religious words, even an angel!
    If the residents want to have a Christmas party in their Community room, they cannot call it a Christmas party. The Center says HUD directs residents not to use the word "Christmas" but to use the word "Holiday."
    A Sunday School class from a church near Mrs. Arnold's apartment comes every year to host a Hanging of the Greens and Christmas Party for all the residents. She said the highlight of their Christmas Party comes at the very end of The Hanging of the Greens when someone places the angel on top of their Christmas tree. Their tradition is now banned by the federal government.
    The federal government is becoming increasingly active in banning Christianity from the public square. Earlier, the National Park Service removed the wording "Laus Deo" (Latin for "Praise be to God") from a replica of the cap of the Washington Monument in Washington, D.C. and the Veterans Administration banned the script of the flag-folding ceremony mentioning "Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob," and "Father, Son and Holy Ghost" at over 100 national cemeteries. Both of these were rescinded after AFA supporters sent emails to proper authorities.
    To listen to the grandmother's conversation telling AFA about the situation, click here. To read about the HUD directive, click here.
    (after listening to the audio file, click the "X" in the upper right hand corner of your browser window to return to the e-mail message)
    Take Action

• Send an e-mail to the Secretary of HUD and President Bush asking that HUD stop their policy. The role of the federal government is to defend our religious rights, not take them away. Click here to send your e-mail.
    • Take a stand against those who seek to take away our religious freedom by distributing "Merry Christmas. God's Good News" Christmas buttons to fellow church members, friends and family! Wear your button with pride. If we fail to protect our religious freedom, we will lose it! Click here to order.

If you feel our efforts are worthy of support, would you consider making a small tax-deductible gift to help us continue. Click here to donate.

Donald E. Wildmon, Founder and Chairman American Family Association
    Donate with confidence to AFA
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: this is really getting out of hand now

Welp let my Non Christian pagen arse commet on this.....IT IS STUPID!!! let people display Xmass trees...snowman ...what ever...IF someone is offended they are just looking for a reason to wimper.....Now I was raised catholic, Im Jewish by birth...long children were named (like a babtism) in thy Synagog by a Rabbi. and then I changed religions a few more times....I have friends who cover almost any religion u can name...pluss a few freaks that claim religions that 99% of the people on earth never heard of.

My friends and myself all get a big laugh about articals like this...and seperation of church and $$ says "In God I trust" on it....dont see people who complain refuseing their paycheck....yes we live in a country that is not all Christian...but it seems like IF someone puts a penagram on thier lawn anyone that complains is a bigot, close minded...and all that..the ACLU come running to that person makers run from the issue like the plegue....but put a cross and everyone can demand u take it down.

Bottom line...get over it...dont like it dont look...grow up...IF all u can find wrong with this world is some little old lady putting up a xmass tree then ur world has no real problems at all.

IT's been out of hand for quite a while. This country was founded by religious people and the mention of religion is seen throughout our history. Will we rewrite our history books to erase all mention of God and Christianity? Will we change the names of towns that refer to religion in some manner? Store greeters can not mention Christmas, only happy holiday, well what the hell holiday is it anyway? Christmas!!! Say it. I understand not wanting public funds to support religious efforts but that is not what this has become. Is this how Russia and communism got it's start? Maybe if this lady was an illegal she could get away with it, wouldn't want to insult a visitor.

I am a Jew by birth, grew up celebrating Christmas and am pretty much an non-militant atheist. My girlfriend and mother are Buddhists, my little brothers went to Jewish schools and so on and so on. I think this kind of thing is ridiculous. On both sides.

To explain, I think the fact that I have seen Christmas stuff up in stores since BEFORE HALLOWEEN is even worse. Is this what the birth of that other Jewish carpenter all those years ago was supposed to be about? Santas and ipods and plastic wreaths painted with lead by child slaves in China 2 for $1.99?

I find it hard to believe that Jesus would concern himself with fighting neighbors over a decoration. I find it hard to believe that this is what He would want His memory to be about. I don't, however, find it hard to believe that there are jack-asses who will try their best to ruin a grandmothers holiday-*ahem*-Christmas by pretending to be offended by a decoration. These types of jerks have always been around. Jesus dealt with far worse than this.

For everyones sake, mostly your own if you claim to be Christian, don't let these idiots take away what this time of year is really about by pulling you into trivial crap. Go help people. Be with your family. Remember what your faith means to you, and examine how you can live by it even more than you do now.

No offense to anyone here, there or of differing opinion. I may sound a bit holier than thou, but like I said before, I don't even believe in god. I know that humans are real.
        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Heres my .02 on it...

If you dont want to accept Christmas, fine, then go to work for me on Christmas Eve, afterall I will work on your holiday. Chances are, even though you dont accept Christmas, you are getting a paid holiday for it. I dont get a paid holiday for (excuse my ignorance, but insert your holiday here)

99% of all the people out there on the day after Thanksgiving (black friday) are out there looking for deals, why are these deals around (besides retailers wanting to lure people to the stores) because they know people are Christmas shopping, how about checking records to see what religon a person is, and basing that on whether or not they get the special pricing.

As far as retail stores being open on holidays, let them, I WONT work Easter or after 2:00 pm on Christmas Eve (family stuff) but if they are going to be open, then the top manager at the store should show some support and be there also.

One more point on the money issue, if people dont want our money to say "In God We Trust" then let them try to make it anywhere without money. Trying growing your own food on a farm paid for with beads with supplies paid for by trinkets.

Whenever a customer at Home Depot wishes me Happy Holidays I always come back with Merry Christmas. Retailers are out to not offend anyone, HD has taken it so far as to remove the American Flags that used to hang from the ceiling beams throughout the store.

OK Sorry this rant has gotten so long, but I have become sick of the PC world we are living in today.

I remember being disgusted a few years back when they lined the streets here with blue and white snowflakes and other non-denominational "winter" lights instead of the traditional Christmas decorations.

Why even bother at that point??

Yikes! think this is bad??!?

"Santas across Sydney are rebelling against attempts to ban their traditional greeting of "ho, ho, ho" in favour of "ha, ha, ha".

Recruitment firm Westaff - which supplies hundreds of Santas across the country - has told its trainees that the "ho ho ho" phrase could frighten children and could even be derogatory to women.

Two Santa hopefuls reportedly quit the course because of the hullabaloo of the ho, ho, ho.

One would-be Santa has told The Daily Telegraph he was taught not to use "ho, ho, ho" because it was too close to the American slang for prostitute. He also quit."

A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.