The Distraction of America

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Distraction of America

Unlike many of the folks who post here, I'm retired. I use to have a hour or so commute to work and then a full day of working outside placing or removing telephone cables, poles and assorted other tasks. If I wasn't working the weekend, I was fixing the cars or fixing the house. Now life is a lot slower and chores are spread out, I have more time than I need to bang on the keyboard and watch the news. I've noticed that with so many issues that are of importance to all of us such as the price of gasoline, heating oil and the 12 to 20 million undocumented illegal immigrants in our country, news programs seem to spend a lot of time on small items. I guess human interest stories such as what happened to Drew Peterson's last two wives get a lot of attention and always will, but they distract from national issues. I'm not suggesting these stories are not worthy of coverage, but maybe they could be limited to weekly updates or newsbreaks. I'd rather see all those news reporters cornering our legislators and pressuring them to do something about the rising cost of oil and everything it impacts. I'd rather those news anchors stop repeating the same forensic information from three weeks ago and demand our borders be secured and the situation with illegals resolved. I'm sure I must sound nutty to you folks who are busy making a living and raising little ones, but if you ever have the time to notice what's going on it makes you think!

Re: The Distraction of America

I understand your thoughts,

But it two problems, they now have 24/7 news, and they have to have something to say, thus the filler, and the gossip type news,

Number two the new media should be reporting the news not shaping policy, and IMO that is what some of the problem is with the news reporting to day the spin on it is designed to shape public opinion,

If there is some one to shape government policy, IT SHOULD BE US THE PEOPLE, calling and writing and emailing our representatives holding political offices, and WE SHOULD HAVE LONG ENOUGH MEMORIES to VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE, if we do not agree with them or there actions.

The power to vote is one of the most powerful things one can do, in many elections the people are elected with less than 60% of the people exercising there right to VOTE,

I know it is tiring to try to affect the direction of things, it takes time it takes commitment and money. and yes there some times hundreds of causes one may want to support, but most of US can only focus on a few causes at time.

One person in the right place and time can make a change, sometimes for better or worse.

Example:
    But if you look it seems to only take one person in the right place and time to make a change, (sadly it is so many times via law suite) but they are slowly chipping away freedoms and rights of individuals and groups. (jsut take a look at the "Christmas season" now businesses have Holiday trees, and have removed Religion from the "holy day" oh sorry Holiday ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday ) the problem is (even tho word "holiday" may refer to non christian holy days depending on what holiday one is looking at.) The holiday that is being celebrated on December 25 is a Christian holiday and it is Christmas, I have no problem is some one else wants to celebrate a different "holiday" that may or may not fall in December, but the reason for the season is Christmas, not one of the others that is now mentioned in December time to just to be Politically Correct.
    If one does not belong to the religion fine, jsut do not celebrate, and enjoy the day off of work or if it suits your fancy go to work.

But by the example of above one or a few individuals are changing things, (many times no IMO for the better) but there are changes,
    and even in the political process, one person can make a difference, but we all need to be willing to try to convey to the power that be what we want and what we do not want to happen.

You stated your retired, and have time on your hands, maybe here is an opportunity to make that difference you want to see happen.
    Last edited by BHD; 11-25-2007, 04:24 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

"....I'm sure I must sound nutty to you folks ...."

Not at all, you sound perfectly normal to me.

And your thread title is right, its all slight of hand and distraction that they are about, and the media seems to be in on it don't they?

They keep putting up worthless crap like the Simpson case and other meaningless stuff to distract you from what they are really up to. As long as those glitter stories are grabbing the headlines and lead stories you're not as likely to catch what's really going on.

I like to watch Lou Dobbs on CNN when I can. He's usually holding some politicians' feet to the fire for something or other.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

"...If there is some one to shape government policy, IT SHOULD BE US THE PEOPLE, calling and writing and emailing our representatives holding political offices, and WE SHOULD HAVE LONG ENOUGH MEMORIES to VOTE THEM OUT OF OFFICE, if we do not agree with them or there actions..."

Try and try as you and I might, you will NEVER convince an elected official of anything unless it is $financially$ beneficial to them.

"...The power to vote is one of the most powerful things one can do, in many elections the people are elected with less than 60% of the people exercising there right to VOTE..."

Yes, the power to vote WAS one of the most powerful things one could do, in fact our forefathers made sure of that for us. However, I don't think our forefathers ever thought our society and government would end up as corrupt and crooked as it is. It simply boils down to who has the most money now...Don't believe me? How many re-counts did Bush have before he won? That election was already bought and paid for my friend. Our forefathers were men of integrity and honor. They WERE NOT multi-millionaires who have been raised among the rich and privelaged. (Abe Lincoln lived in poverty in a meager log cabin...remember?) They were average American men who were elected President because of their deeds and actions. They were hard working men elected by their fellow men who had the same traits and qualities that they did. They didn't take office for money or power...Modern day presidential candidates spend MILLIONS to be elected for a job that pays under $200k a year. How much sense does THAT make? It's a sad and bleak outlook that we have in store for us. The politicians will get fatter and fatter from our tax dollars by voting themselves an obscene raise each year...the illegals will live and flourish here with no intention of improving this country...no worries for them...they don't have to pay taxes, and they can use our welfare system to the max. Gas prices will continue to skyrocket here, as will the cost of goods. But hey, we can always turn on the news and find out what celebrity tart or moron is making national news tonight, and thats where the real focus is....right?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          makes you think!
          Used to be a news junkie but got real tired of it over the years. All my worries are localized in my business and that's about it.

I go through this life with blinders on and I seem to manage my stuff a great deal better than worrying about everyone elses problems.

Illegal immigrants? Here to stay
          Murder? Here to stay
          Political bickering? Here to stay
          Weather related tragedies? Here to stay
          Police chases and missing people? Here to stay
          Local council member having an affair? Here to stay

New tools or plumbing products that make my work tasks much easier?

Where do I pay?
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I think the pres makes about $500K now-a-days, but its still peanuts compared to what is spent to get into the job.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
            X