X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid WD0800 replacement filter issue

Tried using the web site contact form to e-mail Ridgid directly, but the web site decided my e-mail address wasn't valid (funny, it works for validation in the forum!) Years ago, we purchased a WD0800 vac. We've been happy with it for years. Recently, we needed to replace the filter, after the old filter got wet and began to disintegrate. We picked up the replacement filter specified in the manual, VF4000, and it doesn't seem to fit. We hauled the head of the unit down to the local Home Depot, and promptly stumped them. We had the correct filter, but the retaining plate that holds the filter onto the filter cage is too tall. The plastic screw that the filter nut attaches to does not reach to the retaining plate, much less through it. We examined a current model Ridgid vac, and noticed some differences. While the filter cage appears similar or identical to the filter cage on the WD0800, the retaining plate on the new unit is flat, with only a lip around the edge to retain the filter. Our retaining plate is not flat, and has a hump in the middle, similar to the bottom of a can of soda, if the edge were inverted. It seemed to both the guy at Home Depot and I that there had been some change to the design of the VF4000 filter, making it taller by about an inch, and the new retaining plate has been modified accordingly. What are owners of older models supposed to do? Home Depot could only suggest contacting Ridgid about it...

Re: Ridgid WD0800 replacement filter issue

More than likely you'll need to phone call Ridgid customer support at 1-800-474-3443 and ask if they can send you the new end cover for the filter. You're not the first to have this issue. You may need a 73637 filter cage and 47907 nut. I really don't know why they changed the design so getting filters becomes a PITA. Maybe they hope people will just trash their old one and buy a new vac. Not smart

Comment

Thanks for the information. As it turns out, I was shopping at Sears tonight, looking for some power tools, and mentioned in passing to the gentleman there that I had already been to the hardware store twice today, and explained. He kind of snickered, went over by the shop vacs, and grabbed the exact plate - branded Craftsman, of course. Solution cost: $6. Then he earned his pay, because he explained that while that plate would let my Ridgid vac work with Ridgid filters, the Craftsman filters were actually the right size to work with my existing plate - and the Craftsman filters are on sale, for half the price ($8) of the Ridgid. Reading in between the lines, it appears that Ridgid decided to change filter sizes away from whatever standard it is that Ridgid and Craftsman once shared. Perhaps that's some sort of attempt at vendor lock-in, but I can tell you, it's more likely to lock me into the competition and their filters.

Comment

I'm glad SEARS was able to help you with this. Their shop vacs are made by Emerson Electric - Ridgid (some) and by ShopVac Corp. (some). I find that ShopVac has very good customer support. They do make some good models if you look at their industrial side more than their home owner ones. I hope if the Sears filter works well that being on sale you either bought a few extras or soon will.

Comment

Good info...I know it was in Nov 2007 but I now am running against the same filter issue. Any chance you know the part number at Sears?

Comment

Got it figured out for my Ridgid wd0800 vac.

Sears -
            Craftsman Filter 917812
            Craftsman Filter plate 916937

After two months I finally have a wet/dry vac again.

Comment

Working...
            X