X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID MagSwitch featherboards

I was in HD this afternoon and saw something about a Ts-3660. Also it looks like RIDGID has licensed from MagSwitch the rights to produce a featherboard in RIDGID orange which has a $39.99 sticker price on it. It's made with a pair of the smaller size MagSwitches, which are plenty strong. The switches are fixed in the featherboard so you can't easily remove them and use them on other jigs like you can with the original MagSwitches, probably a licensing requirement so as not to cut in too deeply into MagSwitch sales.

Anyway, the RIDGID featherboard is a different design than offered by MagSwitch and looks like it will work OK. Look for it next time you are in there, I just happened upon them as the OA was unboxing them and putting on the shelf for the first time.

Josh, I could not find anything about these on the web site,nor the TS-3660. Do you plan to update the What's New pages before we get too much farther into the holiday season?
    Last edited by Bob D.; 11-29-2007, 09:49 PM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: RIDGID MagSwitch featherboards

I saw this new Magswitch featherboard in a recent issue of WOOD magazine, and was kind of interested in getting it. It has featherboard fingers on both sides, so you can use it on either side of the fence. Last night I spotted it at the Despot, but the $40 pricetag dissuaded me, as I already have to MagSwitch featherboards (the normal Pro, and the "Fence" version, which I use as a right side feathboard).

Whilst I liked the bright Ridgid orange for a featherboard, another one would just be a luxury... Although I have to admit I do love these Magswitch featherboards. If you don't have one already, they're wonderful to use on the cast iron top. It completely frees you from the miter slot and takes about 2 seconds to setup.

Comment

Yeah, they are great on a bandsaw table too.

Actually, I think the $40 asking price for the RIDGID model is not that bad. It uses two of the smaller Magswitches which if bought separately are like $20 to 25 each, and then you need to make your own feather board or jig to go with them.

I think they would sell like hotcakes if they dropped the price into the $28 to 33 range, $40 is a little too steep since the magswitches are captivated int eh featherboard and you don't have the versatility of the individual magnets that can be used on multiple jigs.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I picked up one of these yesterday and it seems well made and the color matches my Benchdog feather boards. At $40 it was a bit pricey but I wanted to try it. It does work well and the magnets hold tight. I think I'll keep it, but I'll consider the Mag-switch offerings next time over Ridgid.

Ern

Comment

Working...
        X