X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's only

Well, I guess I can no longer read and talk to the Plumbers, unless they come down to our areas of the forum. Scare tactic eh, well I really don't know what to say about this move. Dog barks and gets his bone, a few other jumps on the bandwagon, seals the deal.

So, do we get a Pro's only Construction Discussion Thread?

What about the Pro WoodWorkers, we certainly cannot forget about them, since they make up most of this forum now.

Pro only Electricians?

I know I voted for a Pro only Thread, but to see all the Plumbing Treads but 1, go to Pro's only. Come on now, I like reading and chatting with these guys, now I'll feel like I'm invading they're territory if I enter to read, and if I read, theres no way I could respond.

Well I guess there are other Forums out there, that would welcome other Tradesmen in they're discussion. I'm sorry to see that this place just got divided, and I'm sure there are other people in here that feels the same as I do.

Be sure to change the chatrooms to Pro only also.....

My .02 cent worth...

Keep barking Dog, and you'll bring this place right back to the good old days...

Mark
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Pro's only

you're still a pro. doesn't matter if you're a plumber or a general contractor. you still do this for a living.

there's always the chat room and p.m. too

time will tell if it floats or sinks.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I agree....I know im still fairly new here...if you call it that....but for one person who usually only comes on here to piss and moan say, what happened, and everything gets changed around????

There are alot of NON pros that go on the plumbing forum that are regulars on this forum...Would be asshamed to push them away too...

I totally agree that there needs to be changes for the DIYers, but i dont know maybe its me....I just hope things stay the same...alot of good folks on here...

Just MO

Greg
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

It appears to me that the RIDGID Forums are going to become a two edged sword very shortly. On the woodworking boards John Q Public is welcomed with open arms and encouraged to participate but on the plumbing boards he is perceived to be a parasite who is stealing money out of their pockets. A sad commentary indeed.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Changes have been reversed. Tried compromising to make dog happy and it was negatively received.

"If it ain't broken don't fix it."

Josh

Comment

I really do understand what Dog and some others wants. But your Forum has grown, just look at the member #'s, outstanding. But as it is growing it is changing. If a DIY'r comes into the forum and ask a Plumbing question, its up to a plumber if she or he wants to respond.

This forum isn't about Plumbing only anymore, people come here just to chat, and meet other people or Tradesmen, nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concern.

As a lot of Plumbers in here have said, they will give advice out, only to see a DIY'r screw it up and have to call a Plumber anyhow. Because of your agreement clause, no one can be held accountable for bad advice. If there is any wrong/bad advice, I'm sure this will be corrected as soon as another member reads the post.

And to prove a point, look at the response on how to change a wax ring. No bad advice there, just a million answers, a little humor there.

This is one huge member list for a forum, and I am proud to be a part of it. I have some really good IIF's in here, some day, we will meet in person and have a super time.

As you said Josh, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. The place is changing, thats all, can people change as well, for the most part I think so. Thanks for reading and I hope I didn't piss off anybody...

Mark
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Nice to read all these open and honest comments. I'm a DIY'er whose dealt with a lot of Pro's over the years and by doing some of these various jobs my respect for the Pro has only grown. A few years ago after doing most of my own house repairs which included framing, running wire, outlets, and sweating copper and other plumbing tasks, I needed a professional plumber to do few 2 and 3 inch pipes and clear things with the town inspector. There wasn't more than three or four hours work to be done, but he charged me for a helper and a full day. My wife was upset over the bill, but I explained that he needed to make his day and pay his bills (insurances) and such. Guys like me really don't put much of a dent into the work load, I think much more damage is done by guys who are out there charging for the work without being licensed and paying their dues in the trade. I also agree that given enough rope most of us can hang ourselves and end up calling a Pro to save the day. I hope the Pro's don't stop giving advice and talking to the regular guys. Thanks.

Comment

I really don't know that any of the "Pros" are saying they are not going to give advice anymore. This little debate started over the fact that the forum which was put in place for the trades persons to discuss business and trade issues is always full of people asking for advice. The proper forum to ask for advice would be the "Ask the Experts" forum. Perhaps a better name for the "Ask the Experts" forum would be "General Plumbing Discussions". There still may be times where a plumber will advise someone to hire a pro because they are in over their head but this site has always been very helpful to non trades persons.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark

As members of this forum, that we create/make happen, (yes we, and no I was not here at the beginning) how do we resolve this issue that keeps popping up. I always said to give the plumbers a personal thread for pro's only, not the entire plumbing section or darn near.

Maybe this site was for pro's only in the past, I don't know, but if it was then the members here allowed for the changes to happen, to be at this point. I like the way it is, I enjoy reading what the plumbers have to say, and every now and then, I'll say something.

Yes the DIY'rs should be in the "Ask the Experts" thread, if they don't, you the plumbers need to direct them to that location and not respond to they're questions until it does show up there. The plumbers are just as guilty by responding to a non Tradesman in the threads that you do not want them in.

Yes, they can read your past responses on a subject that they trying to deal with, but they are not bothering you guys. As a GC, and as I have said before, I will always stay on top of my skills and other skills, so for me to be in here and listen to your discussions on Plumbing. Helps me in the future dealing with Plumbers around my area. When I hire/sub them to do a job and I won't look like a total imbecile about Plumbing, as well as Electrical, Excavation, Etc.

When I saw the Plumbing section today, and it said for Pro's Only. Well I'm not a Professional Plumber and that would mean I could not venture into your territory. This did not make me feel welcome in here anymore, and I spoke my mind with my post.

I do know for a fact, that a lot of Plumbers like the way this site is, I have been PM'd so many times and I think it would be a huge mistake to try and change your section. You just need to patrol it, and send the DIY'rs to "Ask the Experts" . I think its that simple, as long as you only respond to DIY'rs in that thread. Enough for now, I seem to be repeating, I am not trying to tell you guys how things should go around here, I'm just giving you my opinion and I hope it means something around here.

Thanks for reading all my long posts.... Garager (Mark)
                  Last edited by garager; 12-03-2007, 05:57 PM.

Comment

As long as the chat stays i'm good with pros and diy-ers!!

Comment

Also, I think there should be another bouncer in here, to be able to move the DIY'rs questions to the right thread. Josh cannot be here all the time, so another Bouncer would be ideal.

Now, what Plumber is in here the most, that you guys would nominate, and he or she would except. Mark, you would be a good candidate and so would Rick, what about B.D. also????

Just another suggestion....

Mark

Comment

Mark...we Want Mark!!

The Tribe Has Spoken!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                          Mark

Yes the DIY'rs should be in the "Ask the Experts" thread, if they don't, you the plumbers need to direct them to that location and not respond to they're questions until it does show up there. The plumbers are just as guilty by responding to a non Tradesman in the threads that you do not want them in.

Thanks for reading all my long posts.... Garager (Mark)
                          This debate started over a post which dog made where he was making that exact point. Josh may have taken the fix a little too far but I'm sure we have all been guilty of that at times. Overall this is the most well behaved site I belong to and it is because of all of us.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            This debate started over a post which dog made where he was making that exact point. Josh may have taken the fix a little too far but I'm sure we have all been guilty of that at times. Overall this is the most well behaved site I belong to and it is because of all of us.

Mark
                            I agree whole heartedly with your statement...

Comment

Not trying to step on anyones toes/feet/boots here, but I agree with Marks statement and personally dont see a problem with the way it is.

This place kind of takes care of itself so to speak.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X