Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What was the first Real tool you ever owned.

My first tools were a small starter set of hand tools from Sears. I was 16 and my Girlfriend (now wife of 32 y) bought them for me. Old man bought me my first car and it didn't run, to be able to drive, I had to learn how to and then fix it first. I was not allowed to use his tools or even go in the garage.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by papadan View Post
      Old man bought me my first car and it didn't run, to be able to drive, I had to learn how to and then fix it first.
      Now that is what I should have done to my oldest boy. !6 yr old, and he takes his car in for an oil change, he refuses to let me teach him how to change the damn oil...

Shoot, he even takes his car to an Auto Body shop, to have them give it a thorough cleaning. He has a job, you know, so no time to work on his car, I told him 2 days ago that he is just to soft to want to get his hands dirty.

Now, am I going to get nailed for child abuse for that statement????
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I was given a B/D router when I was 14.

Comment

First real tool (that I purchased myself) was a Craftsman Router.

I still have it today and use it as a lonaner to others.

regards,

Comment

My first tool was a Craftsman 7.2 volt cordless drill. I remember that my older brother had a 6.0 volt and thought that I had really done something when I got mine. To charge it you didn't take the battery off like we do now, you just plugged it in like a cell phone. When I was 25 an older woman that I worked with asked me if I needed any tools. I didn't have many good tools at that point. I said I was always interested in a deal if she knew someone. She told me that her deceased husband was a cabinet maker and he had just bought new tools for his shop and that she didn't need anymore if I was wanted to take a look. When I asked her how much she wanted for them she said $500 for it all. I told her then I would take it sight unseen. He/she had brand new craftsman products including a table saw, compound saw, small band saw, electric nailers, circular saws, etc. That is when I really started making things other than just helping my dad when he would build something. I still use a lot of that stuff now. Especially the table saw, even though I have a TS3650 too, this one is easier to transport.

Comment

Wow, that's a tough one. Dad and Grandpa had a complete wood shop above the garage. It was stocked with all of the hand and power tools they had accumulated over the years (both taught woodworking for 35+ years each) so nothing was lacking. Plus we lived on a farm, so all the mechanics tools were always available. I used the 24" scroll saw (which I still have) when I was probably around 6, so that might be "my" first tool. First thing I remember buying was a thin axle wrench for a bicycle. First power tool that I ever bought was probably a Rockwell/Delta (nee Porter-Cable) fixed speed 1/4" drill.
              Last edited by smorris; 12-05-2007, 03:40 PM.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                Now that is what I should have done to my oldest boy. !6 yr old, and he takes his car in for an oil change, he refuses to let me teach him how to change the damn oil...

Shoot, he even takes his car to an Auto Body shop, to have them give it a thorough cleaning. He has a job, you know, so no time to work on his car, I told him 2 days ago that he is just to soft to want to get his hands dirty.

Now, am I going to get nailed for child abuse for that statement????
                Garager, it was a 66 biscayne wagon. Had to rebuild the carb, replace the brakes and torque converter. Man next door let me use the tools I didn't have. Signed up for Body shop in school and fixed it up and painted it myself. Worked in a gas station and kept buying tools. Have been working as a mechanic since 1974 and still gettin greasy. LOL
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

My Dad gave me a tool box with some hand tools one Christmas (I think mostly because I was always getting into his box and not returning when I was done).

Anyway they were real tools not toys. There was a try square, a couple screwdrivers, a 12 oz hammer, a 6" adjustable, and a pair of slip-joint pliers all in a small hand box.

I though it was great and I took great care of the tools. Over the years (I got the box in either '61 or '62, not sure as I was only 7 or 8) I have lost all but the slip-joint pliers (which I consider useless for the most part). However I keep them in a 50 cal ammo box I use as a tool box in the Hummer.

And once I had my own tools to care for I got the greatest gift from my Dad, learning to use my tools responsibly and to care for them properly, both of which he taught me. And my Dad got something too cause I didn't abuse his tools any longer.

Now he is gone but those pliers are still there to remind me of how he got me started off right.
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X