Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first Real tool you ever owned.

The first tool I ever owned was a old carpenters saw my dad cut down for me to make it more manageable. In fact I have a scar from it on my left hand. Maybe I'll post a pic of the scar later.

Re: What was the first Real tool you ever owned.

Hammer, Tape Measurer, speed square, Tool bag, Screwdriver set. When I hit the road on my own at the age of 18. I always used everybody else's tools when I was younger.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

It wasn't my first tool but it was definitely my first real tool, a 1/2" Milwaukee Hole Shooter drill I bought in 1975. It's still runs as strong today as it did the day I bought it.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

My Porter Cable 9862 12 volt drill/driverI bought in 1996. Still have it!!!!!It still works!!!!
        You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Guess mine would be a handsaw and an old hammer my dad gave me to fiddle around in the garage with when he was working. Still have the hammer. The saw was given to a friend when I moved years ago and to my knowledge he still has it.

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
          It wasn't my first tool but it was definitely my first real tool, a 1/2" Milwaukee Hole Shooter drill I bought in 1975. It's still runs as strong today as it did the day I bought it.
          1975....Did they even have electricity then? I was just coming into the world that year! All kidding aside, B.D., that is cool. Hopefully some of my tools will last as long with such performance.
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

My first tool was a hand saw that my father gave me when I was about 10 or 11. I remember it being short, with the end missing. Not sure if it was cut down, or had been broken off, but it worked for me. We had moved to the country and live on a long hill (old Rt 17) which us local boys took advantage of by building down-hill carts. Looking back, I think my father didn't want me ruining one of his better saws.

My second tool was a flat-blade screwdriver that I made in shop. I forged and shaped it myself, and tempered it as part of my first semester project. I put a clear acrylic handle on it, which I rounded one end on the lathe. My Dad liked it and used it for years.

I imagine those two old tools may still be at the house, I'll have to ask my brother about them. It would be nice to have them again, if they still exist.

CWS

Comment

My first power tool was a Black and Decker jig saw, I bought it at the hardware store for $7.00 I wore it out once and I got them to send it in once and the second time they said the life time warranty on it had expired, I still have it in the top of the barn, It will still run, but the bearing in the drive is very very lose, bought it when I was 6 or 7 years old.
              most of the other tools were my dads and more than likely his dads that I used at the time, the very first tool was a pliers, and it came in a "toy" leather tool belt that was to mimic a line mans belt and they had a blue painted pliers in it, yes it was a "toy" but they were real, I had them until my kids found them and I don't know if there still around or not, I have not seen them for a number of years. I was probly 4 years old then.
              made a table saw with my dads Black and Decker 7 1/4" saw, when I was 10 or 11, then I bought out of the back of a popular mechanics a AMT I think 8" saw, the deluxe unit with ball bearings,
              I think that was about $20.00 to $25.00 and in school AG shop class built the "cabinet around it" I was a freshman in high school then, later in high school I made some GIL Built tools, a lathe, a shaper, still have the lathe in my shop and the shaper is in a old building.
              also I got a Wards 230 amp welder when I was in 8th grade, my dad wanted me to learn to weld to help keep things going on the farm, he bought it for me, I welded ever piece of scrap iron on the place into something. Later in high school I got a cutting torch as well.

when I got a job I stared to buy manufactured tools, many were used but have also continued to build tools that I wanted in the wood working area.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

frist real tool was a pair of vice grips for my on tool fits (and destoys)all, my frist power tool was de walt cirucular saw, lasted about 3 years till it fell off the roof
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

My 1st real power tool was an electric drill, dont remember the brand...and my 1st real hand tool was socket set from Craftsman...Dad gave to me as a gift for my 18th birthday
                  The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                    frist real tool was a pair of vice grips for my on tool fits (and destoys)all, my frist power tool was de walt cirucular saw, lasted about 3 years till it fell off the roof
                    Vice grips for me too bought at Dart Drug when I was 15

Used them on my '68 Oldsmobile battery cables

First power tool Milwaukee Sawzall...no surprise there

Comment

mine was a 1/4'' craftsman electric drill. i was 7 and it cost $4.44
                      next was a saber saw also a craftsman. i was 9 years old.
                      first big tool was a craftsman radial arm saw. i was 12 still have it

the rest is history

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

My first was a coping saw. I used it and the hammer I "earned" pulling weeds to make a truck cap for my old Tonka. Later I got a hand drill that I used to drill so many holes in a 4x4 post that it looked like swiss cheese.

Comment

I have tried hard to think of what it was but my memory just doesn't want to work. As for the first serious power tool I saved up and paid for with my own money that would have been my first Milwaukee tool a 0234 1/2" Magnum Hole Shooter drill. It was totally red nylon including the gear case and had a 4.5 Amp motor. Then not too long afterward (year or two) Milwaukee realized this model made too much trouble (mine was and still is fine) so they upgraded to a cast aluminum gear case like most of their other drills had and boosted the motor to 5.5 Amps. About a year ago I retired the old 0234 to the shelf and picked up a new one which happens to be a 75th. Anniversary Special edition model. I found it new in box on flea bay and for some insane reason was able to get it cheap. This one comes in a very nice steel case. Lucky me

I think my all time favorite tool that was passed on to me but somehow got lost (It grew feet and ran off on me) was a 16 Ounce True Temper curved claw hammer with tubular steel handle with a nice rubber grip. I had that one since grade school.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          Vice grips for me too bought at Dart Drug when I was 15
                          Aww the memories of Dart Drug. PC and I are both natives of the Washington, DC area only I've been one a few more years than he has.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 12-05-2007, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Interesting thread...

My first hand tools were a couple of Proto socket sets - 1/4" and 1/2" drive. Purchased them from a tool distributor that made the rounds where I worked when I was 15. I manufactured campers and truck canopies at an RV dealership. Soon after I bought a block plane, smoothing plane and jack plane (all Stanley's) and a 4 piece set of Marples chisels. I already had hammers, screwdrivers etc. (can't remember when I got those).

My first power tools were a 3/8" B&D reversible drill (green and silver), 7 1/4" "Skilsaw" brand circular saw (pale orange and silver) and a 1/4" B&D router (bright orange plastic).

One of the first items I ever made (besides campers and canopies) was a king size water bed and cabinet style headboard out of yellow pine. I got the mattress and heater kit etc. for my 16th BD.

Somewhere around that time my folks bought me a B&D workmate that I still have and use to this day as well
                            Cheers! - Jim
                            -------------
                            All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Craftsmen hand tools like sockets, wrenches. Some Snap-on items like rotobroaches that were awesome for cutting holes.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X