X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mossberg 500

thinking of gettin one, but i do not know enough to know weather i would be getting a good deal one one. a shop here near me has one for 270 it has black syenthic stock and pump and comes with both a 28" and a 20" barrels as well as 3 diffrent chokes. the question is this a good starter shotgun and it it priced about right? it is new but the have a used one there witch is heavily modified for 450 but i will not be going hunting just turkek shoots and clay targets
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: mossberg 500

I have one for years now..12 ga with the short 18" riot barral....simple no problems. The price sounded high until u mentioned extra barrals. Its a good starter gun. I belive for clay targets Improved cylinder is the desired choke. The mosburge comes in almost every gauge....for plinking, clay targets a 20 Ga has less recoil....but thats a matter of personal choice...taste.

Comment

it is a man thing i think, if i could find a 10 gauge at a sub $300 price i would grab that. hehehe. you know what they say bigger is better lol.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Mossberg and Remington go toe to toe.Both are great dependable guns at a great price when purchased at one of the many times they go on sale.The Mossberg does not have any obstructions when loading into the magazine which makes it a faster loader.Also some people like the location of the safety on top of the breech on the Mossy.

I got the Remy 870 express when it was on sale.

Comment

OSC,

That price sounds pretty good to me especiall with the extra barrell, Teh 20" barrell is probalby a slug barrel with adjustable sights.

Regards,

Comment

well since the forum is driving like a drunk driver in a domolion derby (keeps crashing) i guess i will take a ride to pick up my new toy then lol
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

This thread reminds me... I have a 1180 wingmaster I have to get looked at. Will only cycle expensive high brass loads. Love the gun when it works right. Hate that I have to cycle expensive ammo through it. Maybe thats what I will ask for for Christmas. A nice visit to the gunsmith.

Comment

i got my new toy, hehehe.
                i can not say i am a big fan of the syntetic stocks i do not belive they would be good for hunting but i do not inten to hunt with it so they will be fine for me. i mostly will be using it for turkey shoots(paper targets) and clay disks. though i am not sure what kind of shells i should buy.

this is my frist weapon ever so this ought to be interresting, i plan on going to the range over the week end and i will report more then. oh and do you guys think i should take both barrels to try or should i just pick one and stick with that one?

also the man at the shop told me that the 20" barrel is a "roit" barrel, does that mean i will be laughing alot when i use it? i was alittel to embassed to ask him what he meant by that.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

i had 2 mossberg riot 12s for personal protection when i lived in dallas. pistol grips front & back. great weapon and easy to use. even my g/f at the time got good at it. never had to use them, but it was comforting to know they were there and READY to go.

steve
                  In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                    it is a man thing i think, if i could find a 10 gauge at a sub $300 price i would grab that. hehehe. you know what they say bigger is better lol.

H&R..or is it NEw england firearms..something like that.. makes a single shot 10 ga. afor around the $100 mark new...any local gun store should be able to order u one. I had one years ago...super long barrel..goose gun...recoil was not too bad. I've never shot one but some people I know swear the 12ga 3 1/2 magnums kick worse than any thing.

For just plain out fun too shoot...pick up a old USSR Moisan Nagant M44....short barral not the super long one...7.62x54R usaly cheap to fin and shoot. I had the long barrel version..no recoil...unimpressive...got the carbine..WOW kicked like a mule....and the muzzle blast was sooo cool to watch....looked like one of those old films showing an atomic bomb going off.....at the range people would shoot it just to see the blast...not even aiming...was just cool. but Im a sick and twisted person.

Comment

OSC,

The 20" barrel is called a riot barrel because it is designed for close quarter defense. The shorter barrel has a very large pattern up close but not enough pellets out far to do much damage. The barrel is meant for defending yourself as opposed to hunting.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

ahhh thank you mark, and glad you told me as i am going to the rage tomarrow and i have the short barrel on there(it looks better) but now i will switch them out.
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I have the Mossberg 500 and the Wingmaster. I use the short-barrel on the Mossy as my home defense weapon. It's a great choice as the pellets generally won't be able to penetrate walls and endanger neighbors.

The Wingmaster I have doesn't seem to have any problems with cheaper low-brass shells, as long as they're 3". Some of the Wingmasters can handle 3" and 3.5" shells. Check near the chamber and see if you see "3 1/2" stamped in the metal. If you do, try getting some cheap 3.5" (ouchie) ammo. High-brass 3.5" shells are shoulder-busters! I use my Wingmaster for squirrel and turkey hunting. I have a long barrel that accepts different chokes, and I also have a slug barrel for it. I find it to be a great field gun.

As far as composite stocks go, I'm ambivelant. They're good in the woods, but they're light. I prefer having some meat on the stock to help absorb kickback. Although the lighter weight of the composites mean it's easier to drag them around the woods. They won't get banged up as much, and since it's not wood, I don't really care if they do get banged up.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

well went to the range today,it was fun shoulder is a tad sore but we shot about 50 rounds, it kickes like a mule till i was told that i wasn't holding it right or tight enough, but it was still fun to put big holes into small things. i might go back out next week also and over all i am happy
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Back up with your shoulder against a tree. This will make it much steadier and more accurate.

(Don't really do this. You'll break bones. )
                              Steve
                              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
                              X