Stainless Steel Appliances

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stainless Steel Appliances

At one time stainless steel finishes in the home was unheard of, then the elite ended up with one, usually starting around 3 grand.

Then, somebody got the idea to make outdoor grills with this product, then the fridge, then the stove, then the dishwasher.

Now, stainless is a common finish in the home and has cheapened as it floods the market.

Wouldn't you know that now that everyone has this in their home,

they came out with something different?

"Bronze" Stainless steel.

From what I hear it is pretty awesome looking and people that throw money away will be the first to replace their "average" stainless steel appliances for something new and cutting edge.

The cycle once again.........repeats itself.

This information was divulged on a national talk show this morning in the subject of home improvements. Gary Sullivan show. Pretty respectable guy in the matters of home products.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Stainless Steel Appliances

you forgot the stainless steel roll away tool box

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

"The cycle once again.........repeats itself. "

Yep, that's how they keep taking your money time after time.

"Upgrade NOW before its too late!"
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Anything for the YAUPO SCHIGHT customer. They have money to burn. Plumbers here is your wake up call to make more $$$ by doing selling and installation. We all know what happens with clothes washers that aren't properly installed with new hoses, water shut off valves and a good clean drain. The Sparkies need to wake up as well as all these new super toys need good private circuits and surge protection.

I personally like "old timer white" for the kitchen, but my next clothes washer will be all stainless steel and I'm looking at a small commercial Dexter front loader. That will most likely outlast me. I'm sick of the fancy high priced junk appliances. I want simple and built to last ones. In addition I want to never have to take the bigger drapes or bed spreads to the self service laundry. I can run a clothes line in the basement as needed for drying them. I want a nice little commercial dryer to match the new washer too. Actually my vintage Maytag washer and dryer may very well outlive me. They just will not kick over the bucket.

This totally worthless rant may be removed soon.

Comment

yet i am still in the 80s look with black and crome.... go figure
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Interesting... well, here in my old home I still have my "Coppertone" frig. Had it for over 35 years and it still works like a charm, and looks as good as new with it's enameled exterior and chromed-wire shelving, and it's a lot quieter than anything I've seen on the market. In all that time, the only thing we've ever had to replace is a defrost timer switch.

Now in the future home, we've got the kitchen all done. The LOML wanted "Stainless" appliances throughout and that's what we bought... but what a PIA that crap is. "Stainless" is anything but... it shows every fingerprint, every little stain, every watermark. It requires special cleaners and more care than any appliance ever should. Glass shelving is not only is a pain in the butt to clean, you don't dare slide a dish or bottle of anything on it. For all the technology and added convenience options, I really see no improvement whatsoever in the basic functions.

Likewise with the new gas range. The new "window" is already stained on the inside of the alleged vacuum-sealed glass and we've put in a warranty claim, but are having to argue with the mfg. about it. In order to clean the front of the glass, you have to literally remove the oven door and then remove the stainless facade.

Here in the old home, we had to replace the 35-year old range, because I couldn't get the part I needed (oven door spring snapped). The GE range that replaced it, is the worst piece of junk that I've ever seen. Raw edges on the sheet metal (my wife cut her hand the first time she cleaned it), defective burner unit, an oven that takes almost twice as long to bake as the old oven, etc., no safety locks on the top control valves, etc. GE service is non-existant. It is at times, no wonder why American manufacturing is a failing enterprise.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              you forgot the stainless steel roll away tool box

rick.

lol I've never had the luxury to see or own one of those....that has to be saweeet!
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

DUNBAR

Have a look here. http://garage-toys.com/toolchest.html No way am I paying out the $$$ for them, but then if I were filthy rich ____

To me it looks like it belongs in a restaurant kitchen.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Woussko; 12-10-2007, 02:39 AM.

Comment

There are some things about stainless appliances one should be aware of.
                  They are (were) primarily intended for the industrial/restaurant kitchen, where they get hosed down every day. A few finger or water marks in the morning are not an issue, although this problem dissapears on its own if you just ignore it!
                  A lot of these appliances, sold as stainless, are actually not even close to AISI 304, and are merely ordinary steel plate, maybe with a very little chrome & nikkel. This is then plastic coated, which really shows marks! Have a magnet with you when buying appliances, if it sticks, it's not proper stainless!(Exellent knives of Martensitic Stainless steel are however magnetic, as a lower Chr Ni % , and a carbon content allow for hardening.)
                  Assuming you do have proper stainless, then the way to avoid fingers, etc. is to leave it a few days after the protective film (if any) is removed, and the last finish/grinding is done. This allows the surface to oxidise as desired, and forms a far more durable & "stainless" finish. Don't bother too much the first month or so. When everything settles, then your stainless should be very easy to live with.
                  I've not seen this "Bronze" stainless yet, but if it's steel with a plastic coating, or some sort of electro treatment, then i suspect that it should be avoided.
                  Christmas Greetings to everyone, from Telemark in Norway, where snow /ski conditions are about perfect right now!

Comment

Working...
                  X