Generation Y - Hows this gonna play out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Generation Y - Hows this gonna play out

Josh, very thought provoking thread. I think there are two separate issues though one being how Gen Y was raised and their work ethics, manners and so forth and the US economy which would include loss of maunfacturing jobs, legislation like NAFTA, illegals and so much more than we have room to discuss. Can we as a nation survive primarily as service providers, a people who make nothing they consume? I know there are exceptions like produce, livestock and such. Will we get secured borders and deal with the illegals? I hate when people say one group of our youth is lazy and doesn't want to do certain jobs, just wants big money. I don't want to believe this, but I've seen it first hand. My last years as a Lineman included teaching many new guys who got the job, but most of them didn't even want to be there! They simply were passing through and could care less about the job, it made me sad in a way. I guess interest in the "Trades" will be renewed if and when jobs in other areas dry up? I kept hoping manufacturing jobs would come back but they're gone to slave labor. I don't have the money for a new car or truck with a kid in college but if I did I would not buy one. We will soon be paying $4.00 for a gallon of gasoline, that's what I'm saving for right now. How does this mess get turned around? Does being part of the Global economy mean we have to lower our standard of living until we are on par with the third world? The avertising industry has done their job well, we buy every piece of electronics they throw at us, ipods, plasma tv's, laptops, we are all guilty of this feeding frenzy. How about consumer debt? When does that bill come due? Aside from the economy and Gen Y being in turmoil we also have the over fifty percent failure rate of marriages which is not making things any better for our society. Josh, I have time on my hands being retired and I wonder the same thing everyday, "How is this gonna play out"? There's an old song and it's still real good advice "Teach your children well", make every effort you can to teach your children useful life lessons. You may not be able to have a hand in solving these big problems, but if you can raise one good person to adulthood, that's one more good person in our society. Protect them when necessary but let them know you won't have their back if they lie, cheat, steal or hurt others. Lead by example, nothing takes the place of being there, and on the subject of marriage maintain self respect and dignity. I wish you the time , the years to be a good Dad and the opportunity to see all this other stuff play out.

Comment

I don't know that the two working parent excuse always works. I believe we all make choices and set our own priorities. I'm sure it is valid in some cases but not all. None of my daughters or daughter-in-laws work with the exception of my single daughter who has no children. Because of this they probably drive older/fewer cars, own fewer televisions, live in smaller homes and have less discretionary income. One of my son-in-laws has two full time jobs so that my daughter can stay home with the kids.

I can't tell you how many young couples have told me how important it is they both work to pay their bills yet I see them with boats and motorcycles sitting in the yard and two new cars in the driveway. It often comes down to priorities.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Josh, very thought provoking thread. I think there are two separate issues though one being how Gen Y was raised and their work ethics, manners and so forth and the US economy which would include loss of maunfacturing jobs, legislation like NAFTA, illegals and so much more than we have room to discuss. Can we as a nation survive primarily as service providers, a people who make nothing they consume? I know there are exceptions like produce, livestock and such. Will we get secured borders and deal with the illegals? I hate when people say one group of our youth is lazy and doesn't want to do certain jobs, just wants big money. I don't want to believe this, but I've seen it first hand. My last years as a Lineman included teaching many new guys who got the job, but most of them didn't even want to be there! They simply were passing through and could care less about the job, it made me sad in a way. I guess interest in the "Trades" will be renewed if and when jobs in other areas dry up? I kept hoping manufacturing jobs would come back but they're gone to slave labor. I don't have the money for a new car or truck with a kid in college but if I did I would not buy one. We will soon be paying $4.00 for a gallon of gasoline, that's what I'm saving for right now. How does this mess get turned around? Does being part of the Global economy mean we have to lower our standard of living until we are on par with the third world? The avertising industry has done their job well, we buy every piece of electronics they throw at us, ipods, plasma tv's, laptops, we are all guilty of this feeding frenzy. How about consumer debt? When does that bill come due? Aside from the economy and Gen Y being in turmoil we also have the over fifty percent failure rate of marriages which is not making things any better for our society. Josh, I have time on my hands being retired and I wonder the same thing everyday, "How is this gonna play out"? There's an old song and it's still real good advice "Teach your children well", make every effort you can to teach your children useful life lessons. You may not be able to have a hand in solving these big problems, but if you can raise one good person to adulthood, that's one more good person in our society. Protect them when necessary but let them know you won't have their back if they lie, cheat, steal or hurt others. Lead by example, nothing takes the place of being there, and on the subject of marriage maintain self respect and dignity. I wish you the time , the years to be a good Dad and the opportunity to see all this other stuff play out.

Good post!
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Mark, thanks for the positive comment. This was a huge topic. I agree with you post on choices too. I've gone without a lot of material things over the years so that either my wife or now I can be at home but so far it's paid off in other ways. Older kids can get into greater trouble than younger ones so I'm glad I'm here for my teenage daughter. She also knows Dad is always around to help her if she needs it or to keep her in line. I won't drag this out but so many of her friends go home to empty homes, broken homes. What does family even mean anymore?

Comment

I'm raising my kids like my folks raised me. I think they did a pretty good job of instilling respect, work ethic, responsibility, etc. and see no reason to change that.

My kids (daughters 19 and 10) don't have stuff given to them. If they want something, they have to buy it, either from jobs or birthday money. Once it's gone, wait until the next birthday... Neither got an allowance unless they actually did work for it. One chose to participate, and the other didn't. Their choice, but the choice has monetary consequences.

My daughter bought a 14 year old car when she was 15 with babysitting money and cash from birthdays. That didn't cover it all, so she paid it off monthly with interest. After she graduated, she thanked me. She saw all the kids in school getting brand new cars for 16th birthday or graduation, but also saw then trash them and treat them without any respect. She recognized what she had accomplished and was proud of it. My 10 year old is looking forward to buying my car when she can drive, which by then will be 11 years old. Smart kid. But she's not getting a 260HP turbocharged toy as a first car!

I think they're turning out just fine. And I see a lot of kids like them. But I see a lot like Josh describes, too. Hopefully they'll see the light soon.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Working...
            X