Generation Y - Hows this gonna play out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generation Y - Hows this gonna play out

Disclaimer: I am fully aware there are acceptions to this observation.

I just saw a video on generation Y and the impact they will have on the business world. The majority of generation Y has been raised being told they are special and were never told no. Pretty much absolute focus and priority put on them. They have grown up almost completely void of consequences of their actions and lacking responsibilities.

So now this generation is ready to start work and they expect everything to be their way or they are gonna leave. The video talked about how managers need to learn new techniques to manage Gen Y. A generation who has never been on the loosing side of anything. Little league championships where everyone is given an medal and nobody is the looser. Schooling where everyone is equalized out and made excuses for. Basically the video said managers had to tip toe around and praise everyone even if they suck at their job. (shakes head in disgust)

I feel like our nation has lost pride in what they do and putting in a hard days work and feeling good about what they have accomplished. Work ethic is a lost concept, its all about self promotion and what they can get, not what they can contribute.

So we ask ourselves why do the trades have such a hard time replenishing the workforce as we move forward... I just don't think anyone wants to really work anymore. And if they do they want to make huge money for as little effort as possible.

Countries like India are already outworking us in some business areas, China is outproducing us, Japan is making far superior autos at lower prices. So how does this play into the trades. Is this where labor starts coming in from MX that is willing to work hard?

Any thoughts to add? Is my concern unfounded? Has this been the view of every new generation coming up?
    Last edited by Josh; 12-11-2007, 02:25 PM.

Re: Generation Y - Hows this gonna play out

Oh I would have a lot to say about this. However the words that I would use, would have my post canceled/deleted. This does make me angry, but what makes it worse, is China is building a car factory in Mexico. How in the world, can they find cheaper workers then they're own slave labor/children. I believe they plan on selling cars in 2008, in the good old USA. I have always owned US automobiles, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, even if I had to pay more. Because this is what being Americans is about, take care of your own. Now all that is gone, and the dang Arabs are buying up our Banks and Properties. Ok, I better shut up, or I'm going to look awfully stupid shortly. But our own country needs to F---ing wake up, and start being wiser and more American. We also need to stop the pampering of our children, but we don't need to go to Woussko extent...

Just a little humor there Woussko, don't slap me w/your whip....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I refuse to fully express myself on how I feel about this matter. It is very serious and I believe that only a real act of God can save the USA. Maybe it's just me but anymore I see far more illegal immigrants working than I do people that I think might have been born here regardless of race. When people with jobs don't begin to know English that's bad news. What's even worse is if a well educated person born in the USA and where his/her parents are educated and they were born here went and applied for the jobs he/she would be turned away.

As for respect and control all I can say is that maybe we better go dig up every good USMC drill instructor we can and bring them into schools. I really wonder if the problem children and young adults isn't that they have no self respect or respect for anyone at all.

It's very sad when I hear young adults talking and they know fewer than 10 words and the words they know are all vulgar ones.

Woussko: SHUT UP NOW or you'll be in big trouble for venting again.
      Last edited by Woussko; 12-11-2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        I refuse to express myself on how I feel about this matter. It is very serious and I believe that only a real act of God can save the USA. Maybe it's just me but anymore I see far more illegal immigrants working than I do people that I think might have been born here regardless of race. When people with jobs don't begin to know English that's bad news. What's even worse is if a well educated person born in the USA and where his/her parents are educated and they were born here went and applied for the jobs he/she would be turned away.

As for respect and control all I can say is that maybe we better go dig up every good USMC drill instructor we can and bring them into schools. I really wonder if the problem children and young adults isn't that they have no self respect or respect for anyone at all.

It's very sad when I hear young adults talking and they know fewer than 10 words and the words they know are all vulgar ones.

Woussko: SHUT UP NOW or you'll be in big trouble for venting again.

Lol, I knew you have a double personality

Comment

It really scares me looking at how well our country consumes product but how little it produces and it keeps declining. We may be converting into a "service society" but man... We just don't have any substance anymore. Right now the US runs the show as the world super power but I could see a chain of events that looses us that position. It may be crazy to think that way but man... todays kids own everything and feel that its their God given right to do so. Theres just no balance.

I decided to post this after reading an article about my wife's grandfather and his military experiences and how he worked hard to provide for his family how he had gone through some really tough times and showed some true grit. Then you walk through a mall and kids feel like they can cus at adults and get away with it... I am a pretty good sized guy and I walk home from work most of the time. I have had a 10 year old swear at me and stand their ground as I walk by just to prove how cool he is. No respect whatsoever.

Ok... I gotta get off my soapbox... BTW> none of my views represent the views of the Ridge Tool Company

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            Oh I would have a lot to say about this. However the words that I would use, would have my post canceled/deleted. This does make me angry, but what makes it worse, is China is building a car factory in Mexico. How in the world, can they find cheaper workers then they're own slave labor/children. I believe they plan on selling cars in 2008, in the good old USA. I have always owned US automobiles, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, even if I had to pay more. Because this is what being Americans is about, take care of your own. Now all that is gone, and the dang Arabs are buying up our Banks and Properties. Ok, I better shut up, or I'm going to look awfully stupid shortly. But our own country needs to F---ing wake up, and start being wiser and more American. We also need to stop the pampering of our children, but we don't need to go to Woussko extent...

Just a little humor there Woussko, don't slap me w/your whip....
            I don't think you look or sound stupid at all. I feel the same on the issues you raised and more, but I don't have time to get into them now, I'm off to another evening class. Maybe tomorrow.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              It really scares me looking at how well our country consumes product but how little it produces and it keeps declining. We may be converting into a "service society" but man... We just don't have any substance anymore. Right now the US runs the show as the world super power but I could see a chain of events that looses us that position. It may be crazy to think that way but man... todays kids own everything and feel that its their God given right to do so. Theres just no balance.

I decided to post this after reading an article about my wife's grandfather and his military experiences and how he worked hard to provide for his family how he had gone through some really tough times and showed some true grit. Then you walk through a mall and kids feel like they can cus at adults and get away with it... I am a pretty good sized guy and I walk home from work most of the time. I have had a 10 year old swear at me and stand their ground as I walk by just to prove how cool he is. No respect whatsoever.

Ok... I gotta get off my soapbox... BTW> none of my views represent the views of the Ridge Tool Company
              In Croatia kids are not like that. Parents are very strict even when you are 20 y old and going to med school to become a doctor, youj listen to parents and respect their advices. Their opinion privails more then their own. Children are raised manners since they are infants, parents giving grown up advices since they are 7 y old. The whole school system is different. English is primary subject in primary school when you are 7 y old, when you are 8 you need to choose second language german or italian. All grades you have in primary school they will enter you to a college.If you have all A's then you can go to med school,become a lawyer etc...If you don't you will never have an opportunity to have an axcellent paying job, THAT IS WHY WHEN CHILDREN ENTER THIER FIRST GRADE parents make take care of them having the best gardes possible throughought primary school so later they can have an option to choose what to do in life..

And not liek here..not matter of your grades,if parent shave money they go to college..here money plays a big role..

Comment

Keep in mind the USA has been moving further and further away from manufacturing (labor) jobs and more and more towards technical (brains) jobs for many many years. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing but we are now in a global economy and we cannot turn back.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Don't need a whole lot of words here...........America will reap what it sows! Don't blame the Chinese, Mexicans, Arabs or anyone else for that matter, we did it to ourselves. I'm not sure if there will be an American Dream left in a generation or two.
                  ================================================== ====
                  ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I would say most are living the American Dream today and it does not appear to be changing anytime soon. The economy will always have a few bumps but overall it is strong. Home ownership and employment is higher than it has ever been and those who don't mind hustling a little to better themselves are able to do it. I would argue it is not the kids who are going to fail it is their parents who failed them already. If kids have a sense of entitlement they were not properly raised. Regardless of how successful we are in business our number one responsibility is to raise our children to be prepared for life.

Mark

Comment

So what are we talking about here? The Gen Y'ers coming up through the ranks?. Can't blame them for the U.S. decline in the global market. That one falls squarly on us Gen Xers. We lost that edge 10 or more years ago. Did we mollycoddle our children too much and take away their competive drive...probably so. The Baby Boomers worked hard and were rewarded for their efforts. These work ethics were past along to us but technology has changed the way we teach our children and is reflected in their principles.

I have alot more to say but better let someone else get on the soapbox.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                        Don't need a whole lot of words here...........America will reap what it sows! Don't blame the Chinese, Mexicans, Arabs or anyone else for that matter, we did it to ourselves. I'm not sure if there will be an American Dream left in a generation or two.
                        In no way am I blaming other countries. I'm blaming us for allowing so much outside products to be sold in the US, and we the American people are buying and buying foreign products.

The people here, don't want to spend more $$$$'s on American made products. I'm not saying all, but it does become difficult to pay 3 times as much for a similar product.

Union vs Slave labor products, now who is going to win there, when it comes down to sales?

Japanese kids are doing the school thing, that puts us to shame, and many other countries also. Whats it going to take, to get this nation thinking about us again and not lining their pockets and hiding.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Keep in mind we have several Gen Ys on this forum. Maybe we should judge the issue based on what they are doing. There are different views on what makes you a Gen Y but it seems the period between 77 and 94 at least fits in there. So who here is between 23 & 30-years old and what do you expect out of life?

Mark

Comment

I know we have some Gen Y'ers that I am proud of. Some are doing a heck of a job and are proud of their work. Aaron comes to mind. I do think it boils down too each generation being less and less equiped to properly raising their children.

I myself dont blame other countries. It falls squarely on the US. Other countries have the work ethic we had a half century ago.

Who knows maybe it will turn around some day. And maybe it isnt as big a problem as it seems.

This forum is a huge encouragement to me seeing people who really care about doing this the right way and conducting business with integrity.

Josh

Comment

Being a parent myself, it seems to me that society as a whole is responsible for the attitudes of the Gen Y'rs. Because of the economy, cost of living etc. the majority of families have been forced to have dual incomes in order to survive. I am sure that most of us were raised by a parent that stayed at home, whereas today our kids are being raised by daycare's or babysitters and then the educational system.

We shower our kids with affection and praise and trinkets to try and make up for the fact that we only see them for about 3 hours of the day.

I think we really should look long and hard at our society. When there was only one parent working and the other stayed at home the unemployment rate was lower and kids actually learned about values and work ethics. Instead of progressing I think we need to degress and learn from our fathers before us.

Comment

Working...
                              X