New Website

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Website

A web site is not much different than drain cleaning...you get what you pay for.

You want to look and operate professionally on the job, and you need to have a professional look on the web too.

First impressions are important, if its not ready for prime time then don't put it out there for everyone to see.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Thanks for the encouraging words...unfortunetly your right you get what you pay for and this hosting site is giving me problems...It is all set and ready to be posted for everything....its all edited..but the hosting site is having problems republishing it as of right now.... When its up, im sure you will be pleased
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Everything is fixed now...check it out
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          A web site is not much different than drain cleaning...you get what you pay for.

You want to look and operate professionally on the job, and you need to have a professional look on the web too.

First impressions are important, if its not ready for prime time then don't put it out there for everyone to see.
          If you look professional on the job doesn't mean you have $1000 to pay someone so they can professionaly design your site.

Get what you pay for is true but sometimes you have to make the most of it.

In these days customers care less what look you have on your website. They care how much you can save them. Sometimes a good looking site looks to expensive and they won't even call.

Greg didn't finish his site yet..that is why he posted it here so he can hear other options and suggestions.

Comment

greg, you still need to get your phone # on your opening home page

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Yes i know...im leaving as is for now...its such a headache editing and then trying to republish the site....i will be adding more pics and the phone number will be on every page...just want to be headache free until christmas

Comment

quote=mrs. westcoast;109966]If you look professional on the job doesn't mean you have $1000 to pay someone so they can professionaly design your site.

Get what you pay for is true but sometimes you have to make the most of it.

In these days customers care less what look you have on your website. They care how much you can save them. Sometimes a good looking site looks to expensive and they won't even call.

Greg didn't finish his site yet..that is why he posted it here so he can hear other options and suggestions.[/quote]

I'm not saying you need to spend a lot of money, and you don't. But you do need to think about how the information is presented on the site, the default page especially. Spelling and gramme errors should not be (not saying you had any, I didn't even check). Layout that don't render properly on different browsers or operating systems or on older versions of browsers will be problems. I have one computer with a interchangeable HD rack. On each of five racks I have a HD with a different OS on it and different browsers. I use it to check how pages will load and appear to people using older equipment and smaller monitors, etc.

I worry about they person who is still running WinME with IE6 on a 14" monitor and try to accommodate his needs too. Not everyone is running the latest and greatest computer. Now-a-days you have to think about mobile phones and other handheld devices with web browsing capabilities too.

Sometimes a simple single page is all you need. Something with a short description of your services and contact info (phone/pager and email). If you put an email link or address on a web page then you better be prepared to check your inbox regularly (like every day). To do less is the same as not returning a phone message and will cost you in the long run.

Name:  27ebe98009129a0525b6341df082f800.pdf
Views: 1
Size:  65.8 KB[
                Last edited by Bob D.; 12-19-2007, 09:46 PM.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Greg, Theres just a few things out of place. The banner across the top the logo is stretch so it looks distorted and its adding a lot of dead space to the top before you get to your main content. I would recommend loosing the left side navigation and rely on your top tabs to handle it. I dont think you need the left side bar. When you get down to your service page just list the services out on the main services page. Once they click on the link for a specific service just include a Back to Service button at the top of every specific service page. I think your content is coming along very nicely. The formating is very distracting for me though.

Just my 2 cents.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                  X