Misunderstood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misunderstood

My thread the other day about winrow/wingrow (turns out it's WINDrow) got me to thinking about other terms that are misused/misunderstood.

SILT FENCE: I don't know how many people I've heard call silt fence, silK fence. It's an easy mistake as, when someone is talking about it they are usually around heavy (noisy) equipment and silt fence is kinda silky looking.

ORANGEBURG: Quite a few people call clay pipe Orangeburg. I see this as an easy mistake as well since clay pipe is kinda orange. When ever I say something about Orangeburg pipe I always have to add the disclaimer "I'm not talking about clay pipe. I'm talking about the rolled roofing tar paper stuff". How did Orangeburg get it's name anyway?

What are some common terms/names that you have seen being misused/misunderstood?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Misunderstood

Don't you have a Orangeburg NY by your state?
    Last edited by drtyhands; 12-18-2007, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Do you have any Idea how many employers told me orange peels were used in the manufacturing?
      That's what I believed until a year ago

Comment

up until a year ago, my buddy steve, use to refer to his nipple tray as a "buddy box"

i was 100% sure it was a "bunny box" that joey had to google the name while we bet tacos over it.

nothing beats a free taco lunch

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Orangeburg was actually a pipe company that made a thin wall, black in color and tar coated IIRC, drainage pipe. It fell out of favor around here in the late 60's or early 70's. It was very brittle and broke easily. PVC ASTM 27279 pipe took its place. Due to many factors, many having to do with the 60's and 70's, I can't recall exactly what it was made of.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            What are some common terms/names that you have seen being misused/misunderstood?
            People call me fat but I'm actually husky.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              People call me fat but I'm actually husky.
              Big boned
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

As a little piece of trivia for y'all... these sorts of things are called eggcorns. When you get the pronounciation of something wrong but think it's right because it sort of makes sense to you, that's an eggcorn.

Useless knowledge for the day.

Comment

When my schedule is insanely busy, I mean so busy I can already feel the back ache from being on the job till 9pm just to stay on schedule.
                  THAT is when the kid at the supply doesn't know the difference between a:
                  globe valve and a ball valve -
                  a nipple run and a nipple tray (oh yeah, I really need a 70 lb 1-1/2" nipple tray in the back of my truck for the next five years)
                  End cleanout, female adaptor -
                  Pipe dope, furnace cement -
                  Tee-wye, Wye -
                  Feed nuts, basin nuts -
                  and finally -
                  BRASS ips...NOT steel.....I said BRASS!
                  That was a partial list of things I've had to go back to the supply to get replaced over the last six months, though some I caught before I'd left.
                  Thats my biggest reason for not getting orders delivered.

Comment

Working...
                  X