X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Personal Christmas Ritual/Tradition, Regional or Otherwise

What's the one thing you wait until Christmas(or non-denominational holiday observance) to do?

Myself, seems I only buy boxed chocolates at Christmas. One thing I have done over the years since I was a kid is partake of the Vachon Holiday Log. In Canada, Vachon is this Quebec producer of processed pastries/cakes, similar to Hostess in the US(twinkies and such). Matter of fact, Vachon used to do Twinkies in Canada(not as good - not as processed tasting).

Anyway, they make this holday yule log which is a pound(or more, they make a Costco-sized one) of processed flour, sugar, frosting.....yummy. Comes out in mid to late November and I tend to overeat it up until Christmas. Processed, sweet, fattening - kinda sums up the holidays for me in one sliceable treat.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Re: Your Personal Christmas Ritual/Tradition, Regional or Otherwise

now that's funny!!!!!

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
    What's the one thing you wait until Christmas(or non-denominational holiday observance) to do?
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Watch "A Christmas Story" about 5 times in 2 days. Read the book if you ever get the chance. the author is Jean Shepard. Hilarious
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

After decorating the Festivus Pole we have a German brunch of brotchen, leberwurst, salami and spatzle.

My wife is German so this always brings back memories of her childhood. I used to hate it but now I look forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          After decorating the Festivus Pole we have a German brunch of brotchen, leberwurst, salami and spatzle.
          When do you perform the "feats of strength"?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            When do you perform the "feats of strength"?
            After the salami we call it Farts of Strength

Comment

I prefer the airings of grievance's around ohh... say... 4:00p.m.
              The more I think about it the more I'm starting to think Costanza(spelling?) has the right idea with Festivus.

My daughter will be 11 in January and she still believes in Santa because every year I manage to sneak out and throw wood on the roof and shout HO HO HO. I had our son convinced till he was 10 and for the past 4 years he takes part. It's Great because him and I don't always see eye to eye and this is one of the few times we have to truly bond.
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Back in europe in croatia the tradition is to decorate the tree on the 24th.\

My mom would spend all day in the kitchen making turkey,cookies,cakes,preparing for the guests,cleaning,vacuming,my dad would polish the hardwood floors.(wash them)

Then at 11 pm we would go to the church and be hom at midnight (mom would stay home to prepare midnnight feast)

At 12pm we would all eat and in the morning it would be gift time..

The tree are usualy taking off on the 2nd or the 3rd..

Comment

We like to build a 43' high billy goat out of lumber and straw to welcome in the festive season. The hard part is keeping the neighborhood kids from setting the billy goat on fire.

Mark
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                    We like to build a 43' high billy goat out of lumber and straw to welcome in the festive season. The hard part is keeping the neighborhood kids from setting the billy goat on fire.

Mark
                    LOL,

jUST ASK greg...he bought spongebob for his kids a month ago..few hours later some neighborhood kids made a hole it in..and a blow up spongbob wasn't spongbob no more

Comment

Since my family is only a phone call away from jerry springer show

I am Jewish by birth...but raised catholic....but my children (2 daughters...I also have a step daughter) were named in the synagog so are Jewish by Reform jewish law....But I have since left that faith to become a Bahai several years ago....confused yet??

We celabrated Xmass full out for most of my marriage (my wife is catholic)...then did Hanaka (I cant spell it)...and xmass.for a few years.

Rabbi Hillman who was very spiritual (now passed away) use to volenteer members of our congragration to work homeless shelters and soup kitchens on xmass eve and day since it was not a jewish holladay...I found thouse years to be very rewarding in a spiritual sense.

now that children are teenagers.....we celabrate Xmass like it is in observance of the birth of Wal-mart....kids dont care what the holladay is and to be honest I could call it bassetthound day and they would only care about how much $$ they are getting.....sooo dont realy enjoy the holladay.

I obserive my (current) religons holladays as best I can....but for the family I put up a tree and spend $$$$.

I generaly volenteer to take on call for xmass and new years....this year Im doing the security guard job xmass eve and on call xmass day/week.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
                        LOL,

jUST ASK greg...he bought spongebob for his kids a month ago..few hours later some neighborhood kids made a hole it in..and a blow up spongbob wasn't spongbob no more

I bought Spongebob 3 yrs ago, to this day i cant find the same one at all...neighborhood kids decided to pop it....I knew it was only a matter of time...silly me, trusting that nobody would ever mess with it..but whatcha gonna do...I dont find it funny
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Great responses so far....but where's the deep fried turkey?? Where's the turducken?? Where's turning the hose on annoying neighborhood carolers??

Assuming neighborhood carolers exist and are not a Christmas movie invention..........
                          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

The only thing that really seems to be happening every year is the fact that my brother and I piss our mother off by leaving right after lunch on Christmas day for hunting camp in the north part of the state.

It never fails that about an hour after we leave, one of us will get a call asking where we are. Sometimes the call is from my wife or his playing dumb so mom wont be pissed at them.

Regards,

Comment

Our personal christmas ritual is, on christmas eve, my brother and some neighbors come over here and we play poker from about 5pm to 8pm. We get some of the finer alchohol, the wife makes up some party trays, peperoni, cheese, shrimp, meetballs and some other stuff...The wives are in the house drinking wine with the christmas music on exchanging gifts...The kids will be in the playroom upstairs with the video games...Christmas day, dad comes for breakfast at 9am, mom will be here for dinner...

Thats it pretty much, nothing to extravigant.
                              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Working...
                              X