Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some lessons I've learned from helping plumbers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some lessons I've learned from helping plumbers.

HVAC been slow....super slow....so to get hours I've been playing Plumbers helper...on a serious note I have learned a lot...and actually enjoy it most of the time.

However I have learned a few things.

Plumbers "we" means Gopher in English. as in "we" will dig around the house to install a sewer line, or "we" will run the lines in the attic...or "we just need to clean up and were done here.

Plumbers like hammers. Seems like every leak detection I've been on results in me fetching a hammer for the plumber to smash a hole in a wall...or a Jackhammer to tear up the floor. Some times I think plumbers just smash stuff for fun...then "we" clean it up.

When ever a plumber lets a lowly helper do something....and it starts off with lets see how u handle this....Ill let u do it this time...It is a TRAP!!! like today..Ill let u rebuild this toilet...ok no problem, turns out the toilet had a heavy does of those Blue tablets....now I got bright blue hands
    Same with running the snake....IF it involves dragging the machine and a few rolls of 7/8's cable to the roof....its a good time to let the helper show what he knows....while plumber sits in the truck.

Plumbers use a lot of drug references...pipe "dope" Joints, and stuff like that.

Customer has that same lost cow stare the give us AC guys when the plumbers give them the bill or estimate. that same stutter and disbelief...are u serious? OHG. followed by the same but u were just here 15 min. I thought only HVAC customer whimpered like that

Re: Some lessons I've learned from helping plumbers.

You know, this will be a debate forever. Plumbers helpers, or in my case, drain helpers or apprentices. Think of it like this (i dont think you are complaining, maybe just venting?) Anyway, think of it like this...Mr Miagi (not sure how to spell it) was the perfect teacher We all have to start somewhere in these trades. When i worked for a company and had a FNG, he was pretty much my gopher . Go get me this, go get me that, clean the truck, order this, dont say that. Its not that i looked down upon them, just following tradition. I did the same thing, and i felt the same way when i 1st started doing this. But what you will learn is this. A great trade. Your an HVAC guy i see and sometimes a plumbers helper. What about acouple yrs from now when youve mastered both. You will be kicking butt. You will be following tradition by having your gopher doing the same things your doing now . Just dont let it get you down. Anyway when i had these guys, they stuck with it, and now are lead techs today, and "training" other guys.

Greg
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Gopher,

You have it figured out, welcome to the "real world".

On a serious note, I do wish you success in whatever trade, (HVAC or Plumbing) you choose. Either way, you will have to pay your dues with the more experienced.

Not saying it always right, but it's just the way it is. Just remember, the one giving the orders was in the same position as you at one time in his life. You can/should learn from this.

Good Luck,

Comment

I actualy have a lot of fun as a helper...and learning alot. PlumerS I work with are nice people...willing to teach.

I like to joke with them that drain needs about a pound of freon....and even joke about the "we" thing.....but I also know that on ANY job if ur the jr guy..ur going into the attic...plumbing HVAC or selling girl scout cookies...

Ive talked with company owner...I would like to become compatint as a service plumer....soo when slow want to do the plumers helper thing....it will take some time of course...maybe after next winter...who knows...but never hurts to learn.

But sometimes u got to poke fun at it .....cant be like Mr. Spock on Star track.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
          I actualy have a lot of fun as a helper...and learning alot. PlumerS I work with are nice people...willing to teach.

I like to joke with them that drain needs about a pound of freon....and even joke about the "we" thing.....but I also know that on ANY job if ur the jr guy..ur going into the attic...plumbing HVAC or selling girl scout cookies...

Ive talked with company owner...I would like to become compatint as a service plumer....soo when slow want to do the plumers helper thing....it will take some time of course...maybe after next winter...who knows...but never hurts to learn.

But sometimes u got to poke fun at it .....cant be like Mr. Spock on Star track.
          Good attitude Stay positive. It will pay off in the end. At least you get to look forward to doing the same to the next FNG
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post

HVAC been slow....super slow....so to get hours I've been playing Plumbers helper...on a serious note I have learned a lot...and actually enjoy it most of the time.

However I have learned a few things.

Plumbers "we" means Gopher in English. as in "we" will dig around the house to install a sewer line, or "we" will run the lines in the attic...or "we just need to clean up and were done here.

Plumbers like hammers. Seems like every leak detection I've been on results in me fetching a hammer for the plumber to smash a hole in a wall...or a Jackhammer to tear up the floor. Some times I think plumbers just smash stuff for fun...then "we" clean it up.

When ever a plumber lets a lowly helper do something....and it starts off with lets see how u handle this....Ill let u do it this time...It is a TRAP!!! like today..Ill let u rebuild this toilet...ok no problem, turns out the toilet had a heavy does of those Blue tablets....now I got bright blue hands
            Same with running the snake....IF it involves dragging the machine and a few rolls of 7/8's cable to the roof....its a good time to let the helper show what he knows....while plumber sits in the truck.

Plumbers use a lot of drug references...pipe "dope" Joints, and stuff like that.

Customer has that same lost cow stare the give us AC guys when the plumbers give them the bill or estimate. that same stutter and disbelief...are u serious? OHG. followed by the same but u were just here 15 min. I thought only HVAC customer whimpered like that
            ROFLMAO. That was good, and for the most part probably true, but rest assured it is a cross that plumbers must bear...the training and proper indoctrination of 'helpers'. They don't like to do it, but do it they must. It is in the code they pledged to uphold.

The hammer issues is something that many older plumbers are trying to put behind them. It stems from their history with the hammer and caulking lead joints, there was a good write-up in the British Journal of Psychology a couple years back on the subject. Only time and some heart felt encouragement from his 'helpers' will get him through it is what they said in the article.

So bite your tongue and take your lumps; but know that you suffer for a good cause; that of helping your local plumber retain his sanity, and that you're getting a free education in the second oldest trade in the world.
            Last edited by Bob D.; 12-19-2007, 08:46 PM. Reason: fixed a typo
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Congrates on the great attitude gopher, I was lmao reading your post, you made very valid points, many we ourselves do not realize.

Stick with it, there is nothing better then a person who knows a/c and plumbing, it is the best of 2 worlds, you will never be out of work.

Take the time to master plumbing as I am sure you have mastered a/c and never sell yourself short my friend.
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                you're getting a free education in the second oldest trade in the world.

actualy Bob....HVAC Techs predate plumers....look at pictures from eqypt pyamids and such....behind the King was the early fore fathers of HVAC ...they guys with the fans ..faning the kind/queen. Much like todays HVAC techs they were slaves and mistakes were not tolarated

Comment

Working...
                X