X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid Atlantic Group Gathering

Last night in chat there was serious discussion on getting together Sat. Jan 19. here in Washington, D.C.

Gear Junkie was so excited about it he wanted to make it this weekend. He confessed he forgot it's Christmas week. Ben, are you sure you want to drive up and back same day? Gregg and Hawk might carpool down and pick up any stragglers along the way. <<<---hitchiker

Nothing firm was decided and they all might have just been blowing hot air but if we are going to make this happen I think everyone needs to know ASAP to facilitate planning.

Everyone liked the idea of a casual lunch then off the the Air and Space Museum. At least 20 other museums within walking distance of each other if that doesn't suit everyone. I can pick out a few "must do" and some to avoid if anyone needs suggestions.

Then to a swanky restaurant for dinner that is truly "Washingtonian" I can think of a few right away like the Old Ebbitt Grill across the street from the White House. 5 star food and service www.ebbitt.com is one. The Sky Terrace Restaurant in Hotel Washington is another. (I'd have to check if it's open during winter) Amazing views of the city and The White House. Anyone can suggest a dining establishment but I should have final approval. (When we come to your city, you get to choose.)

Good thing is it will be Restaurant Week then:
    Lunch: restaurants that will offer a 3-course fixed-price
    lunch special for $20.08
    Dinner: restaurants that will offer a 3-course fixed-price
    dinner special for $30.08

This is a great chance to try out some places that normally would charge 3 times that for a meal.

Washington Reagon National Airport is 5 mins. from me so if anyone can get last minute cheap flight here (West Coasters) I can make a pickup run.

I don't think it matters if we get 5 or 6 to come or 15 or 20. We should do this. All are welcome of course not just the plumbers. If you haven't been to D.C. lately it's changed for the better..much better. This place is booming but that means the whole city is one big construction site.

I'll be fresh off the West Coast gathering on Jan. 5th. Gregg thinks they might brainwash me. Well, they better bring a lot of soap.
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 12-20-2007, 08:18 PM.

Re: Mid Atlantic Group Gathering

Im good for the 19th and i look forward to it. Will need to hear from Hawk on the car pooling...Anyone in Pa is welcome to tag along with us.

As far as dinner, im up for anything. The Air and Space Museum sounds awesome, i would love to go there..

Make sure you give GB a call and tell them the boys are stopping by for a personal tour of the White House.

Seriously though, this is great opportunity to put names with faces for the EC crew...Hopefully it will be a East meets West soon then later.

All i envision is Crack coming back from WC with a K60, and a whole lot of stories that were brainwashed into his head

Hope there is a big turnout. PC keep me in the loop, if anyone out this way gets ahold of you and wants a lift...Close of course..
    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

19th is good for me. When I mentioned I didn't want to go to the Cheesecake Factory is because there's one everywhere(very good food). I'd be happy at some hole in the wall joint that serves awsome food that's only in D.C. I'd be happy bbq'ing at your house. The museum sounds good. Are we bringing the family? That'd be the only way to stay the night. Do we need to dress up for that swanky resturant you mentioned?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Of course families are welcome. Kids love museums. We all like free museums which is all we have. National Zoo is less crowded in Jan.(also free) The animals are more active without crowds.

No special dress required for most restaurants. Just need a collared shirt and no camouflage pants. We can BBQ here but you are the one standing on the deck in 20 degree weather making sure the steak doesn't burn.

Comment

The 19th is good for me (pending job info). I haven't been downtown in a while! Never been to Old Ebbit but I hear it's great. As far as I know, it's a bit "tony" meaning Sunday clothes would be in order. I can't wait (sorry guys there'll be a girl there)
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I don't want to seem like Scruge but must this be in downtown DC? The suburbs aren't so crowded. I guess being a native, I'm thinking the visitors might like a more relaxed and less hectic visit. I'm for having PlumbersCrack as the host. Let him figure this out based on who's coming. If I can make it I will but let it be known this is an insane time of year at The Woussko Hut and things change hour by hour. Sorry, but no promises. You would all be better off without the old howler tagging along anyway.

VASandy, You know we want you to come. Us old grunts get too ornery and need a nice YL to keep us behaving.

Comment

My wife will be working on the 19th so ill be flying solo, but if anyone is bringing kids, then ill bring mine.
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

I'm good for the 19 and i don't care where we eat or what we do .
                i have room in my truck for 4 people and me so lots of room .

sounds like a plan
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Ok before I leave town and forget here's some info on the gathering.

Places to stay for those spending the night:
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------
                  Marriott Wardman Park in DC on the subway RED line
                  http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...an-park-hotel/
                  Near the Zoo and close to Rock Creek Park $$$
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Crystal City Marriott in Virginia just outside DC on the YELLOW/BLUE line
                  http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ional-airport/ $$
                  This to me is the best value and most accessible to DC @ only $120/night. The subway stop is in the basement of the hotel in the underground mall. The mall has over 140 stores and oodles of fine dining
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Embassy Suites Crystal City 2 blocks from the CC Marriott
                  http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_...ginia/index.do $$
                  This is also a great value. King bed or 2 doubles and a pull out sofa in the separate suite. Cooked to order breakfast. Walking distance to the Fashion Centre at Pentagon City. The premier mall on the east coast. Same price as the CC Marriott.
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Crystal City has thousands of hotel rooms, these are just a few that I like. Its off season so with a bit of searching I'm sure you can find something to suite your taste and budget.

Things to do:
                  Looks like most of us are doing the Air and Space Museum on the National Mall
                  http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/flagship.cfm

Don't confuse this with the new Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport (Udvar-Hazy Center) 20 miles away

Other museums nearby:
                  Holocaust Museum: http://www.ushmm.org/
                  I have not been there yet but I understand it is not for the faint of heart. Some of the images and exhibitions can be disturbing. It's not uncommon to drive by on my way home and see several people in tears as they exit. I will do this one alone someday.

The National Museum of the American Indian: http://www.nmai.si.edu/
                  Brand new. Not my thing but some of you might like it.

The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History: http://www.mnh.si.edu/
                  Haven't been there since I was a small boy but remember it being very cool

National Museum of American History: http://americanhistory.si.edu/
                  CLOSED til spring 2008

Now for the good part Food:

For those that want to meet up for lunch before hitting the museums, I was thinking Old Ebbitt Grill. Very close to the White House so you can have your picture taken in front of the gates.

I have made dinner reservation for 10 at The Caucus Room for 5:30: http://www.thecaucusroom.com/ Best website I have ever seen for a restaurant
                  I have ask to be seated in a private dining section (The Roosevelt Room) but have yet to hear back from them. Business Casual is the dress code so use your best judgement there. I'm thinking no tennis shoes and maybe a collared shirt.

The Restaurant Week menu can be found here: http://www.thecaucusroom.com/January...ntWeekMenu.pdf

I already know what I'm getting Sorry West Coasters we are turning it up a few notches with the dining

I will definitely be doing the wine pairing so if anyone wants to share a bottle you can sit near me.

I hope we get a full turnout. Woussko you have been pretty quiet lately. I would like for you to be there. It's way too soon to be making excuses anyways plus I know you want to meet Sandy in person. I have sent out a couple of Pm's to some other local members who might want to come. If anyone just wants to show up for dinner that's fine too. Let us know ahead of time. As we get closer to the date I'll ask for a firm headcount.
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 12-30-2007, 05:46 PM.

Comment

The Caucus Room looks fantastic....you sure you want to bring some of this crowd in there LOL

Super job crack. I would still like to go to the Smithsonian, but the Air & Space one sounds good...

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                      The Caucus Room looks fantastic....you sure you want to bring some of this crowd in there LOL
                      Why do you think I asked for a private room

Comment

Plumberscrack - Question: Exactly where is "The Cactus Room" Restaurant? The menu looks pretty fancy for a group of dirty plumbers, electricians, drain cleaners and woodworkers. Everyone best have lots of $$$ as places like that add on hidden service fees big time. You will NOT get out for under $50 per person, that I can assure you.

The museums are a great idea. As for getting anywhere near that White House, remember Homeland Security rules can change any moment. That area may well be off limits.

For anyone not used to riding the METRO subway system, I strongly suggest taking a good long prowl on their web site and we all (especially us locals) need to remember that on January 1st. they are making some major changes. I sure hope they posted them or soon will.

METRO (Bus and Subway system for Washington, DC area)
                        http://www.wmata.com/

Caution: You need a special METRO system card much like a credit card to leave their parking lots. They are automated at the gates and cash is not an option.

To ride the bus you can pay by cash (no change given so bring coins and $1 bills) and for the subway you buy a fair card at a station. The "Smart Pass" is nice, but it's mostly for regular users.

As for my being able or not able to come, I really can't say at this time. *&^%$ Happens and plans sometimes have to be changed with no options. I sure hope I can make some of this event.

Warning: One look at Woussko and everyone will head for the emergency EXIT and fast. Don't say I didn't warn all of you. Þ

I think a good many of us would enjoy the Air & Space museum and maybe both of them if you have you own way to get around.

PC - Please try to post more plans and times. This needs to be well organized or it will end up a mess.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 12-30-2007, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Great post Woussko.

I totally forgot about the Metro transit link Lots of good info there.

Caucus Room- 401 9th street NW------- downtown baby!

Just a few blocks from the museums or 2 stops on the subway

Yes about the Homeland Security..... I have heard some of you discuss your love of firearms and you may feel the need to bring one to an unfamiliar city. Do so at your own risk. We have a very strict handgun ban in place and it's getting a lot of press lately. Here, they will gladly exchange your gun for handcuffs Trust me when I say cell block D is not where you want to spend your weekend.

They also have face recognition cameras set up around the White House. If you are on a list of people that donated money to an offshore company that laundered money that funded a terrorist camp in Somalia you will be found!

$50 for dinner is nothing compared to what you are getting. Dining in a world class 5 star rated restaurant where the most powerful people in the country hammer out deals that make your taxes go up. If it wasn't restaurant week it's a $200 a plate meal and I would pass.

The only thing they asked is that everything goes on one check for large parties. Tip will be included in the bill so bring some cash.
                          Last edited by plumberscrack; 12-30-2007, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

They also have face recognition cameras set up around the White House. If you are on a list of people that donated money to an offshore company that laundered money that funded a terrorist camp in Somalia you will be found!
                            I had planned on attending but I just remembered I am busy that month doing some laundry.

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

good job crack cant wait
                              now it should not be bad to drive around right

just let us know where to meet and what time
                              Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 12-31-2007, 12:39 AM.
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X