• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's been 22 hours......

I cannot belive you are quitting...

The one who went on me couple months ago for telling people to quit smoking

I wish you all the best..

ROBERT has his goal on January 1st.

Cold turkey too,since the chantix is expensive right now and he said he needs to do it on his own.

I told him to get chantix,at least the cost of it will make him quit

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post

ROBERT has his goal on January 1st.

Cold turkey too,since the chantix is expensive right now and he said he needs to do it on his own.
      Very cool the grouchy part of quitting should be over by the 5th.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Good luck with quiting. Talking about it with former smokers will help. I used to be an addiction counselor and worked with a few people that wanted to quit. The best suggestion was to use several methods at the same time such as the patch and gum. Some people can quit cold turkey for good. Others can't. New York State has a quit smoking help line. Maybe your state has something similar. Don't give up. Cravings only last a short time so keep busy during those cravings to get your mind off them.

Comment

Zeljka

You best have Rick, Joey and others come over and "hog tie" up Robert. Trying to quit smoking on his own will make him go totally APEUS (wild and crazy) and you simply can't deal with him on your own when that happens. It is a very powerful drug addiction. I sure do hope that over time Robert can totally quit and while he is still young. Zeljka and Charlie are paying a big price from second hand smoke and tobaco tar among other things. It will be wonderful not having to deal with them and also having Robert's health improve.
          Last edited by Woussko; 12-30-2007, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Here's at least 5 reasons

ONE

TWO

THREE

FOUR

The 5th one is Benny Parsons, former NASCAR driver and commentator loved by all. He smoked when he was younger, put down cigarrettes for the last time in 1979.

Hadn't smoked in 30 years and two years ago got a nagging cough that was deep in sound. Gets checked out and it's too late; stage 3 or 4 since lung cancer is asymptomatic and doesn't reveal symptoms until it's too far gone. Benny Parsons died last year I believe, guy has more money than all of us combined and no doctors could save him, make him better.

Peter Jennings quit smoking for I believe 20 years, started to light back up when 9/11 happened. Smoked for awhile and ended up with lung cancer, died months afterward, guy once again had more money than I have hair on my body.

Christopher Reeve's wife.........?? Lung cancer, never smoked.....but family members did. Died within months of her diagnosis, singing like a bird two months before she died.

We're all going to die someday....some sooner than others and some of us set the parameters to a quicker timeline.

Smoking is very enjoyable, especially the lefties back in the day. I can't/don't/won't do any of them for what I'm grateful for in life....being able to get up and work every day.

My post is not only a scare tactic but a reminder back to myself that my years of smoking already have me set up like Benny Parsons to a tee. Life will be fine and on top of the world one minute, the next minute you're told you're leaving this world for most likely a casual habit you had years ago with only your wrinkled skin as proof you was there.

To die of lung cancer stands up there with brain cancer. Take a soda straw and suck the contents of a shake and call that your air pathway. The shake being phlegm, always having to cough it up to get reduced oxygen content into your lungs till you cough till you puke once again to breathe.

I've watched two people die like this.....horrible. I so wish I never smoked. Even though I quit I feel I'm a candidate to get shot down with this disease in the end.

Been 4 or 5 years for me since I quit but I go through 5 to 6 inhalers a year to keep my lungs open during numerous air quality conditions.
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 12-30-2007, 07:36 PM.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Good for you Ben. Keep going.

Comment

Hour 29 is approaching and it can not come fast enough. My head is spinning and the headache has progressed into my whole body. My only relief is a jar of Oreo's and peanut butter which ritualistically(it's a word) must be consumed on the couch while watching mindless TV. My nicotine substitute has caused my ADD to warp into overdrive but without my 20 little friends, I can do nothing but lay here as my mind is going in 20 different directions as if to mock me. As my depression settles in, my mind wanders back to my days of a youthful 16. Smoking elevated me in the eyes my adolescent peers that could not have been achieved through convential means. The first drag, ah how it tasted like crap. But seeing Jenave Ramos look at me with those lustful teenage eyes only encouraged me to finish my smoke and flick it with a nonchalent snap of the finger. After seeing that coupled with my bad boy smile, she was putty in my hands. No man in his right mind would ever be so foolish to disregard the key to popularity so the smoking continued. By the time I had realized what a foolish mistake I had made, it was to late. Marlboro Man had broken my willpower and had become my newest friend. Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mind awakes with a jolt and as I look around and see my self imposed prision and can only hope that my sugar induced coma will soon lull me to sleep depriving my mind of the harsh realities of a world without nicotine.

To be continued........
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ben, if you have an urge to smoke just call 1 of us you have mine on your fav 5

then i can add up all the money you have saved and tell you how close you are to that next tool

now if the smokes didn't kill you, your wife will for buying more tools from a suggestion off this forum

now at $5. a pack, you'll have some tool money

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Ben,

You are putting too much thought into this and dwelling on your discomfort instead of your success. I have posted here before I smoked up to 4-packs a day for 24-years and then stopped cold turkey. I started smoking when I was 11-years old because I watched my mom smoke and she was my world back then. I have been smoke free now for 20-years and feel it is one of the hardest things I ever had to do.

Now to explain a little about my mother and who she was. She was a lifeguard through college and then a swimming instructor and lifeguard when we were kids. She was the office manager for my dads company and wrote more construction bonds than any other independent bond writer for Balboa Bond. Our normal summer was spent at Muscle Beach in Santa Monica where my mom would be at the work out platform usually the top person in a 12-person pyramid or doing some type of acrobatic stunt. She made me swim out to the break water for the first time when I was 5-years old so I would feel safe in the ocean. To this day I love the ocean and anything to do with it. Every summer my mom would take us waterskiing or camping while my dad stayed in the office because she wanted us to love the outdoors as much as she did.

When my parents retired they moved to a Country Club in San Diego where she golfed 7-days a week and was the secretary of the LPGA of San Diego. She continued her love as a lifeguard at the Country Club pool and at 60-years old was still teaching the teenagers how to do flips off of the high board. My mother was probably the most active person I have ever known and for sure had a bad case of ADD.

However, my mother was also a smoker. Today she is 81-years old and has suffered with Alzheimer’s for the last few years. I guess researchers have now figured out your chance of coming down with Alzheimer’s doubles if you are a smoker. Her lungs are shot as well and a trip from her chair to the restroom is enough that she becomes out of breath. I made her quit smoking because I was worried she was going to burn her house down. At first she would walk to the store to buy her own but then I had to move her to a private home which could watch her 24/7 and now her lungs don’t let her walk far enough to find a store.

Last week after I brought her home from yet another stay in the hospital, I asked how her lungs felt. For the first time in 60-years she told me she wished she had never started smoking as it has destroyed her body. The fortunate part for my mother is she is not really aware of what’s going on because of her Alzheimer’s. My brothers and sisters have mixed emotions with some of them leaving it as she did it to herself so it is her fault and it was her right. The one it is really hard on is me because I remember who my mother once was. So the next time you are feeling sorry for yourself and what you are going through consider what you may put your children through someday if you don’t quit.

You have my number and I am available if you need to talk. I will say a little prayer tonight for you and your family hoping all works out for you.

Mark

Comment

This sort of thread has shown up on a lot of forums, mainly because of the new year's resolution pacts.

One of them failed miserably tonight, they relapsed and smoked a whole pack in like 3 hours. HOLY COW!!!!
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I awake to the melody of birds singing and my son reading "Green eggs and ham" as he sits on my back. My headache is gone and out of habit, I reach for my coat to go have one. I realize that is gone. My delusional writing has subsided. Seeing the pm from Adam makes me feel better then I see Rick and Mark has made the same offer. Thanks guys. One day at a time. The true test will be on Wedsday as I go back to work then.
                        Last edited by gear junkie; 12-31-2007, 09:16 PM.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I should have invested in a chewing gum company when I quit...
                          Had to have something to keep my mouth busy so I have had about a pack-a-day habit of chewing gum since I quit cigarettes...

Comment

Uh Oh, he is going crazy LOL, quick chew some gum before you start going streaking in the neighborhood lol....Keep it up Ben your doing great...My time starts tomorrow, so im right there with ya. Ill call you tomorrow and i can be your sponsor LOL...just not until tomorrow. Im still pyching myself up.
                            The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

You will quit tomorow too?

why didn't the new years come earlier?

All these people with new year resoulution..you guys should have started the same day ben did..that way you can hold each other hand when you nee to

i'm excited for robert..alreadymade so much food and got alot of baby carrots that he can munch on...i'm prepared for my husband..

Kepp going Ben!!!!

Comment

In a few days we will have some winners and possibly some s. Hopefully you three will all be winners.

Good luck we are all cheering for you

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X