X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Website - New Entry to Josh's Blog

I have started a series of blog entries on building and promoting a contractor's website. I'm by no means an authority on the subject but I do have some good background on usability and search engine optimization. Check it out when you get a chance.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/blog.php?b=6

Josh

Re: Building a Website - New Entry to Josh's Blog

Yeah,

Thanks Josh for that....

I'm publishing robert's new website right now..made from scrapes..by me..

It looks nicer then the old one..

Comment

Thank you Josh,
      Great tips, I have a wannabe page that I just slapped together to sample PPC.
      So far I've gotten some calls, but it's not gonna make me rich depending solely on it...my guess is the current page is too bland, lackluster.
      I used Yahoo's site solution, which turned out to be rediculously crude in functionality and detail, wish I'd known before investing time in it.
      I am currently putting together a much more detailed, asthetic and informative page, without too many CSS or JS bells and whistles (don't want folks giving up on a page that takes 5 minutes to load).
      I'm all ears on the SEO stuff.
      Generating organic hits would be sweet.

Comment

That is so informative, thanks alot Josh. I'm terrible on a computer and appreciate any tips like those. Thanks again.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Thank you Josh,
          Great tips, I have a wannabe page that I just slapped together to sample PPC.
          So far I've gotten some calls, but it's not gonna make me rich depending solely on it...my guess is the current page is too bland, lackluster.
          I used Yahoo's site solution, which turned out to be rediculously crude in functionality and detail, wish I'd known before investing time in it.
          I am currently putting together a much more detailed, asthetic and informative page, without too many CSS or JS bells and whistles (don't want folks giving up on a page that takes 5 minutes to load).
          I'm all ears on the SEO stuff.
          Generating organic hits would be sweet.
          What?

Comment

Drain Medic is going to have work out the wazoo with this thread!

Good read and I look forward to seeing more. Moar!

SEO

Search Engine Optimization

I hear it's real expensive depending on how far you take it, and to what level.

You can do a great deal yourself, make to where any local city types in plumber in that area, you show up.

I categorize by "northern kentucky" as it generalizes my specific region. Gets a ton of hits this way. If I type in florence or erlanger plumbers.....I'm not found.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I hope so
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                What?
                sample PPC. Pay Per Click:
                You can advertize with most major search engines like Yahoo, Google and pay only when someone clicks on your link, very cost effective. unlike a yellow page ad, you only per for actual visits to your ad, you stop it when your busy or on vacation as well.

CSS or JS bells and whistles, Cascading Style Sheets ; JavaScript
                Two types of web programming that can add drop-down menu's, animation, and other more advanced features to a website...unfortunately they also slow many browsers, often freezing up older computers.

Organic,
                Unlike PPC, you can get clicks by websearches that your page shows up on...you don't have to pay, but it's not easy to get good:

SEO, Search Engine Optimization
                The golden fleece of internet marketing..unlike PPC websites can generate traffic with keyword content and meta tags.
                This is where things get complicated, takes alotta trial n error as well as knowing the current rules set by the major search engines.
                Results of a good SEO campaign usually take weeks, or even months to show up on the internet...making it a very slow process.
                BE LEARY of SEO companies...most are as blind in the dark as you are.
                In other words..there are countless scams claiming they can increase organic clicks and really cannot.
                Last edited by DuckButter; 12-31-2007, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X