Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Desk of Andy Rooney

Andy Rooney said on '60 Minutes' a few weeks back:

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers.. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens...Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, which is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE ?

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an Opinion.

I have the right 'NOT' to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling; it is the Law of Probability

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.

I think the police should have every right to shoot you if you threaten them after they tell you to stop . If you can't understand the word 'freeze' or 'stop' in English, see the above lines.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich I don't pity the poor

I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say 'NO!'

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a
    political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of 'Political Correctness.' I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa ; so how can they be 'African-Americans'? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe . I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.

I have a very hard time understanding why people don’t object to having 'In God We Trust' on our money, but do have a problem having 'God' in the Pledge of Allegiance.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough...

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-04-2008, 09:25 PM.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: From the Desk of Andy Rooney

Love Andy Rooney, he should be declared a national treasure.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ditto! Three cheers for Andy!!!!

I strongly believe we need to return to rotary dial telephones..Thus eliminating the "press one for English"

Cactus Man

Comment

I hate to do it again, but Andy didn't say these. There are about 15 lists of comments like this on Snopes that Andy didn't say.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/rooney4.asp

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the points of view. I'm just a stickler for facts. I send my Mom links to Snopes all the time when she sends me urban legends.

Steve
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
          I hate to do it again, but Andy didn't say these. There are about 15 lists of comments like this on Snopes that Andy didn't say.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the points of view. I'm just a stickler for facts. I send my Mom links to Snopes all the time when she sends me urban legends.

Steve
          That was almost too easy. You almost have to wonder why when we hear something which seems so obvious we need to check snopes.com to verify it's authenticity?

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I just got P3WNED on the internet.

From now on, I will not believe everything I see on the internet.

But you have to admit, it reads like something andy rooney would say.......no?
            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 01-05-2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Slow guy here,.........P3WND???
              ================================================== ====
              All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                Slow guy here,.........P3WNED???

I watch a lot of youtube and apparently it's a slang term when you get "owned" or "shown up" no matter what the cause or situation.

P3 probably stands for playstation 3 the rest is being in one of those games getting killed or trampled on.

Type it in any search engine and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

Steve
                  I choose to ignore reality and choose to substitute it with my own. Now who say's that?
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

The dude on Mythbusters. Don't remember his name right off though. Adam maybe?...

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    I choose to ignore reality and choose to substitute it with my own. Now who say's that?
                    Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                      Slow guy here,.........P3WND???
                      I think it is a misspelling of PWN3D

The word “pwn” is an Internet variation on the word “own.” There are several possible origins for the word, all of which rely on a pre-existing emphasis by computer users of the word “own.” Originating on the computer scene, it is most often seen in online gaming sessions today.

The likely beginning of the meme is from the hacker scene on EFNet IRC circa 1994. “Owned” or “Own3d” referred to getting administrative privileges on someone’s computer by exploiting a security vulnerability. [citation needed] The use of the word own in terms of victory over another predates its use in the gaming subculture. This accounts for the pre-existing proliferation of the word, which may then have been morphed into “pwn” through any of the following possible means:

The term could have simply been derived from a common misspelling, with no significant event proliferating its use. Instead, it is assumed that it simply began to spread as a result of fast typing, due to the proximity of the P and O keys on the QWERTY keyboard, and the tendency of gamers and net users to create and expand internet memes.

Another way of deriving “pwn” from “own” is by jokingly stating that P is the next letter after O, alphabetically, and in that way poses as some sort of higher level—so “pwn” is a kind of superlative “own.” This is the origin of other web slang expressions, such as “raising” the slang spelling “gr8” (for great) to “gr9” because 9 is the next step up from 8.

Yet another possible proliferation, and common use, is the circumvention of language filters. Some game and chat servers began to ban the word “own” and its variants, as it was frequently being used in a verbally abusive manner when players achieved victory. Sometimes the message would be blocked; other times the user would simply be banned from the server. Some of these players have used “pwn” as a substitute word in order to bypass the filters.
                      Thanks, Wikipedia.

Short Form = Some dude tried to type "owned" and hit "P" instead of "o", hence "pwned"

I don't know. A misquote of Adam Savage on MythBusters?

On MythBusters, Savage is famous for silly and juvenile behavior and for sometimes doing ill-advised things for a laugh. He is the comic relief to the straight man "act" of fellow Mythbuster Jamie Hyneman.
                      His best known show quote appears in the beginning of most of the episodes: "I reject your reality and substitute my own!" (Originally from the movie The Dungeonmaster, this quote was popularized during the show's 10th regular episode, where he and Jamie tested the "rip an axle out of a car" myth as seen in the movie American Graffiti.)
                      Steve
                      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

It is a misquote, but it's MY misquote. I just added some flair to it.
                        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I just added some flair to it.
                          And a fine bit of flair it is!
                          Steve
                          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

And a fine bit of flair it is!

I've swatted my 24" flat screen twice thinking that bug is real.

Comment

Working...
                            X