X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sometimes my life confuses me.

Sooooo last night starts my week on call as a HVAC tech....ok simple to understand that part.

Soo get off work at HVAC job 430pm...get home lay down for my before security guard job nap (work security 11pm-7am friday and saturday night)

7pm phone rings On call Plumer for our company ...Gopher your on call right?? Great got a major problem at a condo..big customer of ours....ok what's going on....main sewer is plugged and I need some help. Sooo hop into gopher 1 and head down there.

Call security job..I MIGHT be late...

Soooo now is the part that makes me think my life is a little confusing. Im late for my secruity guard job beacuse I was working as a plumer, because Im the on call HVAC tech.

Re: sometimes my life confuses me.

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
    Sooooo last night starts my week on call as a HVAC tech....ok simple to understand that part.

Soo get off work at HVAC job 430pm...get home lay down for my before security guard job nap (work security 11pm-7am friday and saturday night)

7pm phone rings On call Plumer for our company ...Gopher your on call right?? Great got a major problem at a condo..big customer of ours....ok what's going on....main sewer is plugged and I need some help. Sooo hop into gopher 1 and head down there.

Call security job..I MIGHT be late...

Soooo now is the part that makes me think my life is a little confusing. Im late for my secruity guard job beacuse I was working as a plumer, because Im the on call HVAC tech.
    I believe it's called multi-tasking.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

First year with my license, got a call during Thanksgiving meal, no heat call that couldn't be avoided.

Comment

Such is life a an on call technician. You can pretty much count on not having a life the days and weekends your on call. Dont plan on going to far. Does your security job know you work as a plumber to? and have to be on call on certain days?

Being a one man co for now, im on call 24-7 365days a year. I go out on holidays, weekends, nights. Its a drag, but hey someone has to do it.

Just think of the OT involved while working on call
        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

And the nice thing about being on call?

You can sometimes sneak in "openings" like monday morning, just take calls and schedule out towards mid-morning instead of following the majority of the work force around the world.

Seriously; anytime I've tried that early to go routine, I spend more time in stopped traffic. Schedule a call for 9-10am and you can almost miss it all, almost.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
            Such is life a an on call technician. You can pretty much count on not having a life the days and weekends your on call. Dont plan on going to far. Does your security job know you work as a plumber to? and have to be on call on certain days?

Being a one man co for now, im on call 24-7 365days a year. I go out on holidays, weekends, nights. Its a drag, but hey someone has to do it.

Just think of the OT involved while working on call
            hay as long as you don't get a call when we are in DC because i don't clean pipes no more
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

DM our answering service does not page out calls after 9pm....sooo only conflict I have run into before is getting home at 730am and haveing to go on a call at 830am with very little sleep. Its been slow soo have not worried about it....when its cranking I take off my security guard job friday night if Im on call. It helps that Im one of thouse people who think sleep dpervation is a natural state of life

Both companies know about other job....not a conflict of intrest since security comapny does not alow me to touch clients HVAC or plumbing soo owner has no problem as long as I respond to calls. Security company is cool if I need an hour or 2 late....been doing the weekend thing for 2 years now since I completed HVAC school, so they understand since I do not abuse it. And worked full time for the company while going to HVAC school...so got a good reputation for doing my job.

I have used security job as my fall back plan many time...went to College day time while working security 3rd shift full time....then when I decided to go to vo-tech school forHVAC did the same thing. when things are slow it helps pay bills when not slow $$ goes towards tools of the trade..

Also its a easy job...lots of dead time...so some weekends take my tool bag or power tools in with me and clean them up...do some maintance on them...organize them.

Company hs big restrictions on when/were we can drive company truck...soo cant take it to security job and clean it on other companies time..

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                hay as long as you don't get a call when we are in DC because i don't clean pipes no more

Dont worry about that, i have someone already scheduled to take my calls

Hey i will call you this week sometime to find out how you want to get down there. Im working all day tomorrow into the night so it wont be tomorrow, probably tues night

Greg
                The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Dont worry about that, i have someone already scheduled to take my calls

Hey i will call you this week sometime to find out how you want to get down there. Im working all day tomorrow into the night so it wont be tomorrow, probably tues night

Greg
                  ok sounds good
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
                    DM our answering service does not page out calls after 9pm....sooo only conflict I have run into before is getting home at 730am and haveing to go on a call at 830am with very little sleep. Its been slow soo have not worried about it....when its cranking I take off my security guard job friday night if Im on call. It helps that Im one of thouse people who think sleep dpervation is a natural state of life

Both companies know about other job....not a conflict of intrest since security comapny does not alow me to touch clients HVAC or plumbing soo owner has no problem as long as I respond to calls. Security company is cool if I need an hour or 2 late....been doing the weekend thing for 2 years now since I completed HVAC school, so they understand since I do not abuse it. And worked full time for the company while going to HVAC school...so got a good reputation for doing my job.

I have used security job as my fall back plan many time...went to College day time while working security 3rd shift full time....then when I decided to go to vo-tech school forHVAC did the same thing. when things are slow it helps pay bills when not slow $$ goes towards tools of the trade..

Also its a easy job...lots of dead time...so some weekends take my tool bag or power tools in with me and clean them up...do some maintance on them...organize them.

Company hs big restrictions on when/were we can drive company truck...soo cant take it to security job and clean it on other companies time..
                    Dont page out calls past 9pm? Is your Co 24hrs service? I dont use an answering service, calls go right to my cell. I used an answering service, didnt like it, sometimes i wouldnt get the page until 20mins after the call came in....

Comment

When I had an answering service taking after hour calls my guys would always say they never got the calls. Because of that I had the calls ring at my house after hours and if the on-call person didn't respond I did and dealt with the on-call guy later.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I was definitely guilty of doing that a time or 2 working for other companies

Comment

DM i dont quite comprenhed owners methoud....but right or wrong he is still the boss!

Were 24hours ish I guess would be best description.....we have an answering service..for after hours..but someone in office sat till 5pm. We charge normal rates until 7pm friday, 4pm sat. Answering service takes calls 24 hours but does not page them out till 8am-ish....sometimes 9am if they come in after 9pm.

We have had some problems with answering service not pageing out a call or pageing wrong person....or pageing plumer with ac calls and such....soo not a perfect system. But Im the lowest man on totem pole soooo I just live with it.

Last 2 companies I worked for were true 24/7 on call......soo this is a little strange to me. Also they send us an instent message NOT a phone call....soo phone makes just a little beep easy to miss if ur at a store or other place....soo I find my self checking phone for messages all day long.

Comment

Ya i guess if its not your company, you can only do what your told....

I would almost consider that false advertising if your co advertises 24 HR Em Service, but doesnt respond after 9pm...Little shady

Does your co use the alpha paging?? Get a page on a beeper with the customers name, address, phone number, and problem ?

Comment

I would almost consider that false advertising if your co advertises 24 HR Em Service, but doesnt respond after 9pm...Little shady
                              Yeah. . .or. . .they refuse to come out because a game is on
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X