what cell phone co

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what cell phone co

No, the NexTel is my own phone. We have a different mobile phone system that works just on site and is tied into the company phone system so that my portable is linked to me desk phone, they ring simultaneously when you call the one number. This system uses linked repeaters configured like mini cell sites with a range of a couple hundred feet to extend and imrove reception in difficult areas. The job site is over 500 acres.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

sprint...ppc 6700..great phone.wireless internet,outlook,excel,videos,windows media player and infra red,i don't need my supra key to open lock boxes,my infra red on my cell beams the infra red on the lock box and i get the key when i'm showing homes.

mrs. westcoast
      sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
        sprint...ppc 6700..great phone.wireless internet,outlook,excel,videos,windows media player and infra red,i don't need my supra key to open lock boxes,my infra red on my cell beams the infra red on the lock box and i get the key when i'm showing homes.

westcoast
        Thanks Robert.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post

Westcoast
          Robert,
          Have your customers ever mentioned that your heels are leaving divots in their wood flooring.

Comment

Finally quit Sprint/Nextel in November. Had enough of their less-than-useful "service" and idiotic procedures. They could NEVER get my pin or password right. not ONCE.

I switched to AT&T with an iPhone. I can check my email anywhere. If there's wireless around, I can connect to that or I use "Edge Network". Edge is slow, but it does work. It's better than my parents' dial-up Internet... There's tons of features on the iPhone, but no GPS. The google maps does give you traffic if you're in a city (Washington, Philly, Baltimore, etc). It's got a cool clock with a timer, lap timer, and multiple clocks. It's really very useful. Probably the most useful phone I've ever had. The downside of the iPhone is the Bluetooth they built it with. That one piece just isn't up to par. Hopefully that'll be fixed in a bit with an update. It can view MS Word and Excel and PDF files just fine. Haven't had a problem with it yet, and it's taken some dives.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Mark and Adam cheeters..you are cutting my text robert's cell is on the left and mine on the right....get the one I have

Treo 700w vs. PPC 6700

I am not a huge fan of the Palm OS. I think its multitasking is pitiful, the GUI is not sexy, and in general it feels like its stuck in the late 90s. I have been waiting for a Windows Mobile or some other device to dethrone my Treo 650. There are two devices that caught my eye, the Audiovox/HTC PPC 6700 and the Treo 700w. While I could compare features and specs side by side, that’s boring. Instead I’ll talk about both devices being used in the real world.
              Everyone’s needs for a portable device are different. My needs are as a phone first and then as an E-mail/SMS client second. PDA functionality is nice, but basically I need to be able to be in constant communication with my business team via any medium possible no matter where I am. At times E-mail and SMS can be more important than the phone since I need to be able to get real-time status updates from the servers that I run. If the CPU on one of my web servers spikes, I need to know about it as fast as possible. This means that good SMS integration along with push E-mail is a must for me. Your needs may be different, but this article is based on what I need the device to do which is communicate first then be a PDA second.
              Since I am a heavy E-mail user the thumbboard is required. Typing to peck out letters using a stylus to write a letter is just too time consuming. I was excited to see the way the PPC 6700 utilized a side keyboard. Logically it makes sense to rotate the device 90 degrees to get a 320x240 display for typing, just like a smaller version of a computer. Unfortunately the way the system integrates it means I really need to use two hands plus a stylus to operate the device. While this does not sound like a big deal, the way the Treo 700w allows me to type using one hand is far better. With the 6700 I am constantly going for the stylus, but with the Treo 700w I am able to do most tasks with the 5-way navigation and the thumbboard. I also thought that having a 240x320/320x240 screen (depends on if the keyboard is out) on the 6700 would be better for web sites. I found that web sites suck equally on the 6700 and the Treo 700w. I incorrectly assumed that IE Mobile would be better at rendering web sites on a smaller screen than Blazer browser or Xiino for Palm OS. Instead I find that Windows Mobile 5 developers are trying to hack IE Mobile to act more like Blazer, the Palm browser. I can say that I think all browsers on mobile devices have a long way to go. They all are terrible and barely usable. The 6700 offers little to no advantage on their side-sliding keyboard, and in fact it takes away from the device. Whenever I want to type a message I have to rotate the unit, hold it in both hands and hope that I can get typing fast. With the way the keys are laid out it’s hard to touch type whereas on the Treo 700w it’s very easy to feel if I’m on or off a key. I usually say that keyboard are all personal preference and there’s no right or wrong answer, but in this case the Treo 700w keyboard is very clearly light years better than the 6700.
              The 6700 has WiFi built in whereas the Treo 700w requires an optional WiFi SD card if you would like to have 802.11b access. Enabling WiFi on the 6700 drains the battery at a phenomenal rate. Using the standard battery the 6700 barely lasted a full business day, and that’s with WiFi off. With WiFi on that time was cut by a third. This cut in battery life would be OK if it offered substantial speed gains, but I found for some odd reason that WiFi was not much faster than the EVDO access, and in some cases slower for browsing the web. I figured that the Treo battery must be better since the Treo 700w has a slower processor, smaller screen and no WiFi options. Those items typically translate to less power draw which means longer battery life. Oddly enough the Treo 700w only lasts about one business day before I have to recharge. So from a battery standpoint they are the same, but the 6700 has a better screen, faster processor and more connection options. While the WiFi was disappointing, the EVDO access was a welcomed improvement over my Treo 650’s 1xRTT access. It’s still a lot slower than I would like, but at the very least I could have an EVDO connection open and still get a phone call on both the 6700 and the Treo 700w. The data connection would pause during the call, but at least the call could make it through. On my older Treo 650 when I have a data connection open for downloading E-mail or browsing the web all calls get routed to voicemail. This is apparently a problem with CDMA networks and does not plague GSM Treo 650’s, but I’m on Sprint, so I have to deal with it.
              There were a couple of odd things with the 6700 that did not present themselves on the Treo 700w. The Treo 700w kept the keylock on all the time. I don’t think I had one mis-placed phone call. The 6700 kept unlocking the keys whenever I had the system auto-check for e-mail. If the 6700 was in my pocket and pressed against something, it would make a phone call. I can’t tell you how many mis-placed calls I had on the 6700.
              Finally there’s the integration of the operating system. The 6700 is almost a pure WM5 install with hardly any custom software. The Treo 700w has heavily modded the Today screen and added a lot of their own dialing features. I am very disappointed in the way WM5 handles phone operations and that shows with the 6700. In fact I would say that the 6700 is a PDA first with some phone functionality. The Treo 700w is actually also a PDA first, but its phone is muuuuuuuch better than the 6700. The picon based dialing along with the better speed dial is a welcome improvement. Unfortunately the phone part of both devices is quite a bit behind the Treo 650. I have had more issues with the phone on both devices than I ever did with the Treo 650. Calls placed to me were dropped completely, voicemail notifications were delayed over an hour, and messaging notifications may or may not come in. I believe this is more of a WM5 fault than a device problem as it happens on both the 6700 and the Treo 700w. With the 650 even if I missed a call the device always gave me an audible alert. With the 6700 and Treo 700w that alert only happens about 50% of the time.
              Alas, I don’t think either the 6700 or the Treo 700w are ready to replace my Treo 650, which is a huge bummer. There are items that I miss such as my mobile SlingBox, LogMeIn mobile account and the kick-butt WM5 today screen. Until the WM5 operating system does a better job of phone integration and has a better notification system for SMS and E-mail I don’t think these devices are ready for prime time. Already I have missed 2 very important phone calls and many, many important E-mail messages were delayed due to the WM5 notification problem.
              Maybe my experiences are not the norm. How has your 6700 or Treo 700w worked for you? Did you take the leap from a Treo 650 to a 6700 or Treo 700w? Let us know in the comments

Comment

Zeljka,

I have the Treo 700w and I have had a lot of problems with it. The phone crashes several times per week and the reception out of town is horrible.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Finally ditched Nextel/Sprint after a 10 year marriage. The Direct Connect sold me the first few years then the service became unreliable after a while. I seem to spend the most of the working day in customers basements That's when the reception was spotty at best.

Went to Verizon Gz One. Couldn't be happier...for now. Rugged and waterproof to 10 feet. Decent picture phone. Service in a subway tunnel too

During the West Coast gathering we were all posing with our cell phones for some reason Rick's idea, that I'm sure of

MrsWestCoast blinded us with her diamond and ruby encrusted Treo

Might have been a Louis Vuitton knockoff designer series, I don't know
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2008, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Mark,

Robbie has treo 700 p and he loves it, never crashes unless he crashes it never loses service..I cannot say nothing about the phone cause I love mine and will always choose mine over his. so i do suggest mine ppc-6700

Oh cracks I dont have treo,robbie does..
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      Finally ditched Nextel/Sprint after a 10 year marriage. The Direct Connect sold me the first few years then the service became unreliable after a while. I seem to spend the most of the working day in customers basements That's when the reception was spotty at best.

Went to Verizon Gz One. Couldn't be happier...for now. Rugged and waterproof to 10 feet. Decent picture phone. Service in a subway tunnel too

During the West Coast gathering we were all posing with our cell phones for some reason Rick's idea, that I'm sure of

MrsWestCoast blinded us with her diamond and ruby encrusted Treo

Might have been a Louis Vuitton knockoff designer series, I don't know

crack, i only took the picture. it was zeljka that was posing with her bling, bling.

by the way, how is it you took the same photo as i have on my camera.

ever hear of copyright infringement.

is that phone really water proof to 10'? i can use it in the shower and get rid of my cordless water proof phone

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                      X