Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what cell phone co

what cell phone company do you have

and how is the service in your area

the company i work for has nextel and it works good but if you are in a big building it goes in and out of service
    but it is good if you have a couple of people on a job that you need to talk to and a lot of other contractors have them to witch makes it nice to talk to them .
    i have friend in Florida and it is free to talk any time .
    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Re: what cell phone co

In my neck of the woods, we have Cingular, Cellular South, Nextel and the usual small frys.

We had Nextel until around a year ago and with 60+ phones, it was costing us around $20,000.00 a month.

As of now, we use Cellular south, No push to talk feature anymore, but I have around 110 phone out there and my bill is fixed at a little over $6,000.00 a month with unlimited usage.

Its hard to say what is best , but we too experienced the same problems you mentioned with the nextel service and paid a premium for it.

Regards,

Comment

My personal cell phone carrier is Verzion. Great service.

My work cell phone carrier is Nextel/Sprint?! They're alright around here. I mainly like how much of a beating their phones can take, along with the push to talk feature.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I have cingular and love them for the roll over minutes. I had sprint 5 years ago when someone in Chicago changed my phone number then billed me at almost 6grand. The dumb thing was I that I was in Thailand at the time and my phone was on a vacation plan. This fubar took almost 6 months to clear up. I will never get sprint again.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

nextel for the last 14 years.

there are times you want to throw it out the window, then times when you can't believe it still works.

actually with the newer ones, there is a feature for 2 way close range walki-talki even without cell phone service. great when you have others while skiing in the boonies.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

AT&T

It's okay, has push-to-talk but not the best like Nextel. I tend to drop calls *like today* where I was PTT with someone and all of a sudden I hear a male voice "hello?"

Couldn't save it, never registered the number to call back.

The rollover minutes are saweet when I go over every month.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I use Verizon and I have been very happy with the service. However, I am giving up on my Treo and considering a Blackberry. Anyone have any thoughts?

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                I use Verizon and I have been very happy with the service. However, I am giving up on my Treo and considering a Blackberry. Anyone have any thoughts?

Mark
                All of NAVFAC (naval facilities)PW just bought all their employees blackberries. I doubt they would have wasted all that money on a pos.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Mark
                  talk to joey before you make that decision.

her brother is always replacing her phone with all the new junk. (treo)

her brother just got the blackberry and loves the internet browsing/ email.

joey's new "lg" has a full keyboard and he likes that more.

call joey for more info

or me

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Verizon Wireless which in my area was Bell Atlantic Mobil before Verizon came along. At the time I got mine (service, not phone) they were the only half reliable network in my area. The others had far too many dead zones. I get good coverage now and am on a special plan that they don't show as it's not available to newer customers. I don't use it that much, but it serves my needs well.

Comment

Mark
                      I just switched to verizon and to a blackberry. I would point you toward a couple of forums I have been on for the last few weeks--crackberry.com and pinstack.com. What they say about becoming addicted to your blackberry is true, but IMO a big part of that is it is so difficult to learn. It really has been a PITA learning curve, the hardest out of any tool or device I have ever owned. But, each new thing you figure out and each problem you solve gets you that much more entwined with it. Now I love it, but really I don't need it.

It has some features that are out of this world, like googlemaps. It finds your position by cell tower triangulation within a mile at the worst and even closer most of the time. it shows real satellite images of where you are that you can zoom into close enough to see if you were parked in front of your house the day the satellite snapped the image. This is cool and all, but the really nice part is you can then search for, say, plumbing supply houses in your area and dial right from the search when you find the one you want.

I already have a GPS but you should be aware that the 8130 that verizon sells has an autonomous gps on the device that verizon has crippled in order to charge you for their service, so don't get it for that.

The web browser is pretty good for a phone and of course the push email service is above everyone else. I don't really need to have my emails right away, but if you do you will find you get them as fast as on your home computer. From everything I've read the folks who have switched from a treo to a BB are very happy with the switch. Just be ready to become a member of another couple of forums. The two I mentioned have been invaluable and you will never get any help from customer service or the rim site or especially the instructions that will come close to these resources.

I also like the mp3 player and the camera takes surprisingly good pics that can then be emailed to anyone you need to on the spot.

One other thing to consider is that verizon does not offer the curve model and if you want a full qwerty keyboard you would be stuck with the "world" model that has reported many problems from users, the most notable being very quiet ringtone issues that has folks missing calls all the time. I have the pearl which is smaller and doesn't have the same problems, but also has a truncated version of the keyboard. It uses a program called "suretype" that predicts the word you are typing and learns your most used words. It takes a little getting used to, especially if you are coming from a full keyboard device, but I found it very easy and can type pretty quick on it now, maybe even faster.

If you have any other questions in particular let me know.

Now to the original question, Verizon after being SCREWED by AT$T for the last time. I was with them for nearly 10 years, since back when they were cellular one, then ATT then cingular then att etc. They lied to me, tricked me, overcharged me, lied to me again, stopped supporting my equipment, and basically told me to go screw myself after I put up with it all because they wanted me to sign a new, worse more expensive contract. I will never EVER use another AT$T service. I have never been treated worse by a company. It seems to be the way of the world now though. Now I pay less, have more service and better coverage and found out I get a 25% discount for working for a contractor of HD! Verizon is shifty too, but they have a full ten years to piss me off as much as AT$T did.

Eli
                      Last edited by woodenstickers; 01-12-2008, 10:52 PM.
                      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

T Mobile, cant stand it, and i hate my phone, in the market right now...possibly blackberry or IPhone
                        The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

NexTel for the Nationwide PTT feature which lets me keep in touch with my brother in FL. Coverage is pretty good here, there are very few places where I lose the signal except at work, but there no cell will work, too much concrete and rebar...NOTHING penetrates.

I use the i355 which is fully waterproof and safe for use in hazardous atmospheres. I also like the strong audio output and a real speaker, when you're working hands-free you can be across the room and still hear and be heard.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Verizon Wireless using a Motorola V710, can't beat the Motorolas for quality and durability.

I had Nextel, Sprint, and T-Mobile. Reception is bad to none at my house in the valley. My friends Cingulars have bad reception here too.

I had to get a carrier that works at my house.

Hey........at least "I'm In".

Tracy
                            sigpic.................I Love My Toto Bidet :twofinger2: :twofinger:

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                              NexTel for the Nationwide PTT feature which lets me keep in touch with my brother in FL. Coverage is pretty good here, there are very few places where I lose the signal except at work, but there no cell will work, too much concrete and rebar...NOTHING penetrates.

I use the i355 which is fully waterproof and safe for use in hazardous atmospheres. I also like the strong audio output and a real speaker, when you're working hands-free you can be across the room and still hear and be heard.
                              is this your phone or a company phone , i know some places that put a system in the building that has in side antennas that helps in the deepest building
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X