X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy experts

Last edited by Tyman; 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Economy experts

Yes and no. The economy is a really complex system that I wont claim to understand for even one second. I have pondered where is a good place to have my money right now and keep coming back to mutual funds. Everyone is looking for somewhere safe.

The key is having you money somewhere for the long run. Its a roller coaster ride and sometimes its easiest for me to not pay attention and know that averaged over the next 20 years It'll be fine.

Wish I would put all my money in precious metals when they were 1/4 what they are now

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      Wish I would put all my money in precious metals when they were 1/4 what they are now
      Me too. The problem was they weren't very precious back then

Our finacial advisor wanted us to drop a producing mutual fund and reinvest towards metals 10 years ago. Thought he was nuts so we dropped him He was too squirrely anyways. Wonder where my portfolio would be now.......

We will only drop into a recession if we keep talking about it....so shhhh....

My wife keeps doing her part by spending $$$$$

I believe she can single handily keep the economy afloat through our checkbook

Comment

Unfortunately I think we are due for a drop in the economy. Its a natural cycle that has to happen at some point. I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity to invest while the market is down. Now if I could just find money to invest

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          Unfortunately I think we are due for a drop in the economy. Its a natural cycle that has to happen at some point. I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity to invest while the market is down. Now if I could just find money to invest
          Looks like Crack's wife might have some for you.

Comment

I heard that when Reccesion hapends which I think is happening.We won't know about it until 1 year after it happend.

Comment

I think Josh made two great points.
              The factors that effect the economy are vastly numerous, not something you could just map out on a single page.
              Also, the talk & worrying don't help.
              In a simpler perspective...when the trades start to worry, they start to underbid even though it may not be necessary.
              Kinda like panic selling on Wall st.
              My guess is that other area's of commerce & economy have a similar pattern.

Comment

I agree that just talking doesn't accomplish anything. The price of a barrel of oil has doubled in the last two years, gasoline and heating oil are over $3.00 a gallon. If there is any disruption to our oil refineries such as seen by hurricanes in the Gulf, who knows how high prices will climb. I don't think the average investor can keep ahead of the costs associated with rising oil prices. I don't think most investors can do well in this market. Personally I think we need solutions to our energy needs now and not speculation for ten or twenty years down the road. No doubt our government is strained fighting war in Iraq and possibly expanding into Iran. We have possilby twenty million illegals in our country that need to be addressed. I just don't think we can resolve our personal finance problems or those of our nation by business as usual. There are vey smart people who if called upon could give us the answers we need now, and together with government help we could start to implement these ideas. I'm not looking for the government to fix my energy problems and cure my financial woes. I do think by working together we could help reduce our dependancy on foreign oil and prevent serious problems in the near future.

Comment

my old goal was to be out of debt for 48 hours. Today I hope to be out of debt for 24 hours!

I never had faith in financial planners..The one's I know are not rich! And if they can't get rich with their own money, why should I give them what little I have!
                  I also don't like their advice...If I would listen to them I'd owe on the vehicles, the house,
                  be very deep in debt, and have no life insurance.

By the way...Santa had a run in with the same bean counters this last Xmas..
                  So if you received less gifts here is the reason....

The bean counter told Santa that instead of doing 50,000,000 children in one night
                  do Hanukkah where you have only 3,000,000 kids and eight days to deliver the gifts!

Cactus Man

Comment

Well, the trickle down effect has finally reached me. Almost all aspects of the building trade have come to (almost) a screaching halt around here. Too many brand new upscale new homes on the market with no buyers. This seems to have made everybody nervous, so nobody's buying or upgrading much.
                    Had to swap back and make the finish carpentry thing a sideline until the upswing starts. It will get better, it's just a matter of survival until then. "He who has the biggest savings account wins."
                    To everyone feeling the pinch; keep your head and spirits up. Panicing makes it seem worse than it really is.
                    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X