Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddle bit, auger bit other drill bit??

Could not decide if this should go into the power tool or woodworking section soo chose open form.

As plumers/helper and hvac tech on occasion like re-pipes and running condensate lines or relocation a t-stat have to run pipes or wire down a wall. Soo have to drill through the wall caps or footer to ground floor....usaly a single 2x4 some times a doubled up 2x4...

I have a 1 1/4" auger bit Irwin and some paddle bits and tonight picked up a Ridgid auger style bit.

My DeWalt 18xrp batteries are dieing sooo lately the blue max auger bit has kicked my drills butt...keeps jaming up..so reverse..forward repeat several times. I dug my my Ridgid 18v drill out of storage and on to the truck but have not used it yet.

The Irwin paddle bits I picked up last week seem to work better with the lame DeWalt...but had the shoulders break off one when I used it on a very wet 2x4.

Ok now the ???????

1 what are the advantages/disadvantages of each type of wood boreing drill bit?? What do style and/or brand do you prefer and why? anyone else had a problem with auger style bits being too hard on the cordless drill? Anyone else use the auger style bit from Ridgid...how do u like it??

Any thing else u can think of.

Thanks all.

Re: Paddle bit, auger bit other drill bit??

Never had a problem with paddle bits. What kind of dewalt do you have, the xrp or the xp model. I have the xrp and it goes through wood with a 1 1/2" bit easily.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

When you refer to the "Paddle Bit" do you mean one that looks like the picture below? If yes normally today they are called a Spade bit. I've used a good many by Irwin with good results. When it comes to drilling with a 1-1/4" auger bit that's asking a bit much from a pistol grip drill being corded or cordless. They (powerful pistol grip drill) will get the job done, but it's better to get out a 1/2" D handle or spade handle drill. A good pistol grip drill should be OK with a 1-1/4" spade bit as long as you don't force it or are drilling into grabby oak.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 01-21-2008, 06:54 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

I believe they are normally called "spade" bits. I seem to recall that my Dad also referred to them as "butterfly" bits, but my memory could be wrong with that. I have never had a problem with those and they do bore a hole very quickly. I just bored several holes through some very old timbers when feeding wire from the basement up through the third floor in my 1887 house. Had no problems whatsoever and I was using some GMC extended length bits which are rather inexpensive. Could it be that your bits are old or dull?

I have never used a powered auger bit. I have used auger bits in my wood brace (you know, that hand-operated crank that was used before power drills became the only way to do things).

I would think and auger bit would have more drag on it, but that's a guess, especially if you were leaning it a bit.

CWS

Comment

When I use to be a Telephone Lineman we used auger bits to drill through poles (18 inches of wood in one shot). I've used impact guns and auger bits to do deck work and make drill runs through 2x4's. If you can fit a 1 1/4 auger bit into a impact gun, possibly a cordless 18volt 1/2" heavy duty type, I'll bet you can save time and effort going through that wood. I'll bet you go through plenty spade bits using a standard drill cordless or corded. Try the impact once and see the difference.

Comment

I had the same problem with the Irwin speedbor Max bits using my cordless. On tough wood like old resinous pine, etc, it seems the threaded tip pulls the bit in too fast for the cutters to remove it with the cordless power. Had to go to a corded drill. I do not have the impact drill, which might do the trick. Other than that, use a spade bit and go with a slower speed to keep the outside tips from breaking.

Go
            Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

1 3/8" through 2-9/16" Milwakee or Lennox self feed bits,they kindof look like what some call forstener bits.1-3/8" bit for 1/2",3/4" and 1" copper this size allows for the isolator inserts.Don't ask me about boring for Pex,wouldn't know anything about it.

Comment

Woussko that is it.

Gofor that does seem to be the problem with the speed bore pulls too fast for the cutting parts...jams up.

Gear Junky I have the XRP 18v hammer drill.

Yesterday used my Ridgid 18v max drill been in storage over a year...think batteries are not feeling well. My dewalt batteries are on deaths door..2 years of hard use...sooo get only a few holes then recharge...I just hate paying $120 for 2 batteries....

thank you everyone...think Ill go back to useing spade bits. I got a chance to look at the floor that broke my irwan bit....were we were drilling was on the edge of a lamanted hard wood floor that poked into the wall...soo think that killed the spade bit.

Comment

Evil Gopher

Try looking up places in your area that rebuild battery packs. They need to match the cells to your charger so be sure to take it along with you. If the Ridgid has been sitting, try charging it up fully, then use the tool and as soon as it gets sluggish STOP, and let the battery cool about 15 minutes. Then charge it up again fully. After a few charge and discharge and charge cycles it may come back to life.

Comment

Working...
                  X