Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Politics of the Economy... Taboo Subject Here?

I profoundly agree with Josh's take on American work ethic, though we have some hard workers in this country, the overall majority seem to have become pampered, expecting great wages and bennies...complaining when work conditions aren't to their liking.
    Thank God we can't outsource plumbing.

Franklie's thoughts are also invaluable to this topic, though I got the impression he may have sugarcoated a little to keep the peace. (I could be wrong)

Problem with us is we have become so conditioned to spouting off about how great we are that we seem to have forgotten the work entailed to keep us that way.
    Nobody wants to be the bad guy, so anyone in a position of authority who has to depend on votes to attain that position will not likely state these things.
    I'm for McCain for this reason, he does the right thing and hopes that although it may not be popular, he gets recognition for doing it.

As for his idea's on illegals, well...
    How would we actually propose to remove the millions of illegals in this country?
    The PROBLEM is the very fact that they are illegal...so they have to work for substantially lower wages and fly under the radar, undercutting our economy, and themselves.
    I DO think we need to keep our borders closed, desperately in fact.
    But for the ones who are here...it would be financially daunting to actually think we could hunt each of them down and deport them.
    Just make them learn the language so I don't have to sift through pages of Spanish in MFG manuals, or utility co phone prompts.
    Allow them the opportunity to become a legal American so they can finally stop stealing work from legal Americans and they can finally earn humane wages.
    Last edited by DuckButter; 01-27-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=DuckButter;118387]I profoundly agree with Josh's take on American work ethic, though we have some hard workers in this country, the overall majority seem to have become pampered, expecting great wages and bennies...complaining when work conditions aren't to their liking.

You are right that Plumbing can't be outsourced, but it can be done by illegals at a fraction of what you charge and may I add "Deserve". So can other Trade work and that's why the situation of our borders and illegals needs to be resolved as you also stated. I still say we need to bring back or establish secure jobs to stimulate people who have not been so fortunate to choose more secure jobs such as Plumbers and other Trade people. Regarding "great wages and benefits", hard working family people need those great wages and benefits to make ends meet and care for their families in this screwed up economy! We have lazy bums for parents who won't work and we have folks who work two or three jobs and end up losing their marriage and kids. We need to bring back family values and that takes parents being there for their children. Unless you are making some great wages or charging high prices you are not going to stay ahead of the skyrocketing costs associated to Oil. There is too much wrong for a single person (President) to correct without the help of the corporate world and the people. If you still think folks who are not in the Trades or whose jobs have been outsourced are making too much, I guess you will have your choice of all those cars and trucks sitting on dealer lots because the rest of us can't afford them. We are not in this alone, we are in this together. We need to expect hard work from everyone who is able bodied, but we can't insult people into working for crap wages and no benefits. I respect McCain for the hero he is, but I don't know if he can make a difference. I think he has a good shot of winning, so I hope you are right.

Comment

[QUOTE=Frankiarmz;118421]
        Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
        I profoundly agree with Josh's take on American work ethic, though we have some hard workers in this country, the overall majority seem to have become pampered, expecting great wages and bennies...complaining when work conditions aren't to their liking.

You are right that Plumbing can't be outsourced, but it can be done by illegals at a fraction of what you charge and may I add "Deserve". So can other Trade work and that's why the situation of our borders and illegals needs to be resolved as you also stated. I still say we need to bring back or establish secure jobs to stimulate people who have not been so fortunate to choose more secure jobs such as Plumbers and other Trade people. Regarding "great wages and benefits", hard working family people need those great wages and benefits to make ends meet and care for their families in this screwed up economy! We have lazy bums for parents who won't work and we have folks who work two or three jobs and end up losing their marriage and kids. We need to bring back family values and that takes parents being there for their children. Unless you are making some great wages or charging high prices you are not going to stay ahead of the skyrocketing costs associated to Oil. There is too much wrong for a single person (President) to correct without the help of the corporate world and the people. If you still think folks who are not in the Trades or whose jobs have been outsourced are making too much, I guess you will have your choice of all those cars and trucks sitting on dealer lots because the rest of us can't afford them. We are not in this alone, we are in this together. We need to expect hard work from everyone who is able bodied, but we can't insult people into working for crap wages and no benefits. I respect McCain for the hero he is, but I don't know if he can make a difference. I think he has a good shot of winning, so I hope you are right.
        Just wanted to add that after hearing of the obscene exit packages some of these corporate bigshots received after working(right) for a few months at best, most people accept this with no problem, but get all worked up when a hard working slob asks for a dollar an hour raise and some health benefits.

Comment

Working...
        X