• Show
Clear All

• Mahogany Basement Photos

We spent about 3 to 4 months living in this guys basement

We made everything from scratch

Even installed the rail

http://woodworkingtipsfrompop.com/

Re: Mahogany Basement Photos

Now I know where the rain forest went !!! They got it in their basement, and think they never even put in a swimming pool, "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING".

Nice Job !!!!!

Dave

Comment

Amazing, all those details. Thats alot of trimmings.

Comment

That's someone's basement?? WOW!

Beautiful!!! Come and do my house next!!

Comment

Simply beautiful work!! So much detail. Did you do the bar chairs as well?
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

oh my god!!!! very nice. how much was just the lumber??
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I can't say that style is really what I like but the work looks amazing. I love mahogany.

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
              oh my god!!!! very nice. how much was just the lumber??
              I just bought several very fine mahogany 2X8X12's for a project at well over a hundred a pop. I dont even want to imagine how much that much lumber cost.

Comment

When I was in the phillipines, mahogany cost 10 cents a board ft.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Very nice!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    When I was in the phillipines, mahogany cost 10 cents a board ft.
                    There is a type of mahogany called phillipine mahogany, which is actually a collection of several types of wood that have a resemblance to mahogany but don't actually belong to the mahogany family and are of much lower quality. I'm guessing thats probably what that was since the "real" mahoganies are significantly more expensive. Phillipine mahogany is very easy to find and very inexpensive. Many things sold as mahogany which are suspiciously cheap are actually made of that.

Comment

Interesting, is this wood from the Phillipines or is that just the name given to that particular group?
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Nice work, Popintraining. The columns, what did you make them from? Did you set up shop in the basement, or did you build most from another shop, then did installation? Great skills, wish more people could afford to have work like that done in their homes. Thanks for sharing your pictures......Mark
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                          Interesting, is this wood from the Phillipines or is that just the name given to that particular group?
                          The term is now pretty generic and includes both types. Now anything that is "fake" mahogany gets lumped into the phillipine category, even if it isn't actually from there. The genuine mahogany species are usually from south america, caribbean, and african regions.

Comment

Working...
                          X