Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stxrus - Guitar Hero and Rock Band

stxrus,

I was gonna ask you this in another thread (decided not to hijack another thread though). Have you played either of these games or has anyone else on this board. As someone who plays guitar are these games corny or worth playing. Gotta hand it to the Japaneses for coming out with wacky new games like this.

Josh
    Last edited by Josh; 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM.

Re: stxrus - Guitar Hero and Rock Band

i have played Guitar Hero twice. for me, knowing some of the songs made it more difficult to work the controller. it's not like a regular guitar fretboard. what was fun was jamming along while a friend's daughter played her controller.

i like the idea but for me it's not a game i'd get, but it sure has a large audience/following.

find the South Park on Guitar Hero. it's one of the best SPs out. my favorite line is, "rela guitars are for old people". i laughed til i cried.

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I get the feeling that people who play guitar hero think they could translate that over to thrashing on a real guitar. It pry gives them a slight advantage over someone who has played neither but still totally different.

Josh

Comment

I'm all growed up now, but when I was younger I started playing at 9.
        Did the blisters, bleeding fingers, learned theory (church modes) and can sweep/arpeggiate them improvisationally...I was in the "shredder" genre of the late 80's early 90's.
        At one point I used to get home from work and practice for as much as 8 hours straight, just doing scale runs and finger excercises, determined I was gonna show Yngwie a thing er two.
        This game looks like a way to play air guitar, I can't imagine anyone who's ever strummed the real deal would like it for long....there's no strings on the 'em!

FWIW, after the crash of metal - end of the guitar hero era, I learned about these elusive finger arrangements that many referred to as "chords"...then someone turned me onto a few true ecoustic players, like Dimeola, McClaughlin, Stearns...etc.
        Apparently guitar could be played without distortion...amps even.

It's all good, as long as spandex NEVER comes back in style onstage, at least not for guys...please.

Mental image developing that one day some game programmer figures out a way for "musicians" to make synthetic guitar music...move over vanilla Ice, Milli Vanilli...ya got competition!

Comment

I love playing guitar hero. i have 2 guitars so me and my oldest son play together. I love playing Slow Ride from Foghat....Can't pass medium level though lol.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Slow Ride!!!! this 11 year girl old is going a decent job on it (Guitar Hero) and this 55 year old (tele & Reinhardt 18W) are swapping l;icks back and forth. i bolix a chorus ride and she looks at me with her little controller axe hanging from the strap and gives me the "L" for looser sign. her mom was mortified, but her dad and i almost wet ourselves laughing.

the exciting thing is she now has an interest in real guitars as a result of Guitar Hero. it's cool to see a young one develope a curiosity for a real instrument because of a game.

i wish there was a shot of her with the controller slung like she was Pat Benetar looking at me like i was a total wanker/looser. i could see a Guitar Hero in her in that moment, then the little girl came back out.

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I just can't get over how COOL I thought Atari was.
              Now my kids just beat me down and put me in my place when I try one of their games. They can get pretty cocky until I remind them that I wired each room on a separate breaker so I can turn the power off in any room I want at will
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                I just can't get over how COOL I thought Atari was.
                Atati WAS WAY COOL, esecially for the day. the 5600 game console was the tits. i wore out maybe a dozen joystick controllers. i still have one in storage someplace.

if it wasn't for Atari, the arcade scene would have never been so big and probably home gaming wouldn't be where it is today. as a matter of fact most of the Atari console games are available on platforms from PCs to XBoxes.

steve

Comment

Video games are why I am doing what I do today. Never would have gotten into computers if it wasnt for Wolfenstein and Doom and making the darn games work on my crappy 386. Todays games are incredible. Online play brings a whole new dimension to gaming.

Unfortunately I just don't have the time to play with school

Comment

New Year's Eve 2006 someone brought by Guitar Hero. We had a blast! New Year's Eve a month ago, same people brought Rock Band. Another absolute blast was had!

They're great fun at parties!

As for playing actual guitar... I played for a few years, never all that well, but enough to enjoy it. That said... Guitar Hero is absolutely nothing like playing guitar. It's great fun, but it's pretty much exactly like playing air guitar... but with an actual instrument in your hands.

Now Rock Band on the other hand... playing the drum in that could very well translate into playing real drums. I mean... you're hitting drum pads with sticks. If you can keep the beat and hit the drum you want to hit, then you're on your way to being a drummer, right? I found the bass drum hurt my leg in a very short amount of time.

I didn't try singing, but the people who did seemed pretty into it.

Comment

Working...
                    X