Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Probrand, Everyone Wins?

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Hey, if Hillary wins I say we invade Mexico! Then we would have to get border defense. As a show of force we nuke France. I would volunteer to go undercover with some pretty Mexican woman, live near the beach and gather useful information. Hey, I can dream.
    If Hill wins, and you guys plan on nuking France, give us a call up here. I think you'd find out that you'd have a lot of volunteers from north of 49. We need to get back at France still, for that horrible scar that they have left us Canadians with.....Quebec.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
      If Hill wins, and you guys plan on nuking France, give us a call up here. I think you'd find out that you'd have a lot of volunteers from north of 49. We need to get back at France still, for that horrible scar that they have left us Canadians with.....Quebec.
      If Hillary wins picture the last scene of Shawshank Redemption, that will be me on the beach. Feel free to join me, just please no english speaking wives. I've heard enough to last two lifetimes!

Comment

Re: Josh Feeback Please

I really am pushing hard to get a response from someone who knows on this one. I expect it by early tomorrow. Wish I knew but I am just the web guy

Comment

Josh, you know more than most - don't cut yourself short. Your input, feedback, and communication is always appreciated by us here.

Comment

Re: Probrand, Everyone Wins!

I hope this doesn't backfire on you !!! What happens if Ridgid agrees with you, but decides to bundle the charger with the batteries with no rebate, and no other way of getting the batteries, except with the charger ???? I know it is not likely, as there are chargers out that will charge the batteries already, but I do like the thought you have, it wouldn't hurt the safety issue. Dave

Comment

Josh....You need to have someone from Ridgid review some of the insanity and disinformation that is being posted on this form as fact regarding batteries and chargers. In the last hour I responded to two different posts providing dangerous misinformation.
              One was a guy stating he "thought the Twin Max charger could be used for LI batts" and the other was a guy who stated that "all single port 18V chargers could be used for both NIcad and LI batts".
              Somehow Ridgid needs to get the correct info out or someone is going to get hurt.
              Ray

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                Josh....You need to have someone from Ridgid review some of the insanity and disinformation that is being posted on this form as fact regarding batteries and chargers. In the last hour I responded to two different posts providing dangerous misinformation.
                One was a guy stating he "thought the Twin Max charger could be used for LI batts" and the other was a guy who stated that "all single port 18V chargers could be used for both NIcad and LI batts".
                Somehow Ridgid needs to get the correct info out or someone is going to get hurt.
                Ray
                I think they already have, it's in the manual. If someone is stupid enough to operate an electrical tool or device without reviewed and understanding the operating instructions and limitations provided by the manufacturer, they have no one to blame but themselves if they start a fire or damage their equipment. At some point people have to be just a little responsible for their own actions, and when they do something stupid take it on the chin like a man and not try to sue the b@lls off the manufacturer, the wholesaler, or whoever. All that (sue first, think later) does is feed the sharks, err, I mean lawyers (my apologies to any to any sharks out there, didn't mean to insult you).

If RIDGID has to publish here expanded instruction on how to charge batteries then they are admitting they did not give the tool owner the complete instruction with the tool and they would open themselves to all kinds of problems. Since they are required by UL or the CSA (and probably others) to provide complete operating instructions additional information here is pointless except to coddle those who are too lazy to look up the information on their own in the manual.
                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I'm not a business man so please ignore my suggestion if it doesn't make sense. I've asked Josh to contact Ridgid regarding the hazards associated with charging the lithium batteries in nicad only chargers and suggested warnings be posted either near or on the lithium batteries to prevent injuries. My request to you is a win for Ridgid and a win for Ridgid cordless tool owners. Like many of us who own the pre-lithium 18 volt tools and chargers, I would like to purchase one or two of the newer 3.0 18volt lithium batteries, but my charger is not designed for them and at present time I can't afford the added expense of buying another drill just to get the proper charger. How about an exchange program conducted through Home Depot? We bring in our older charger and get the upgraded lithium ready charger, even exchange. Before you laugh yourself sick, consider the upside for Ridgid? Ridgid gets all those older unsafe for lithium chargers out of circulation, thus preventing injuries and related lawsuits. Ridgid also stimulates sales for their 18 volt lithium batteries now that everyone who makes the exchange has the charger they finally need. Thanks for your time.
                  P.S., I would be willing to be the first candidate to try this exchange program if RIDGID decides to do it either through Home Depot, mail or freight. Just say the word and I'll wrap it up and send it off.

I don't know why but you posted this in two different forums. Now the responses to your original post(s) are split between the two threads. There is no advantage that I can see to doing this (dual-posting) and it is usually frowned upon on most forums.
                  "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                  John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                    I don't know why but you posted this in two different forums. Now the responses to your original post(s) are split between the two threads. There is no advantage that I can see to doing this (dual-posting) and it is usually frowned upon on most forums.
                    I was not looking to be frowned upon. I thought it might get buried and I did not want that to happen because I think it is a very serious problem that deserves serious attention. I also e-mailed Ridgid directly. I hope you can appreciate the hazards involved and excuse what you and others might consider bad forum behavior on my part.
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I like the idea of exchanging. Especially since I have 2 dual bays and 8 single bay chargers. I like to leave the 2 duals in the trailer. 2 singles in the truck, 2 singles in the shop, and 2 singles at home (the other ones just float around) But only 1 is lith ready and its only a single bay. In fact right now I have no clue where the lith charger is.
                      Colorado Deck and Framing - When perfection is demanded

Comment

The question is whether this information is included with the 3.0 Ah lithium ion batteries. At first glance on the packaging, I saw nothing specified. Now, there was a folded up piece of paper inside, which I hope covers the issue.

Comment

The question is whether this information is included with the 3.0 Ah lithium ion batteries. At first glance on the packaging, I saw nothing specified. Now, there was a folded up piece of paper inside, which I hope covers the issue.

I bought the 3 amp lithium ion battery today and the paper work inside says for battery 84008 (18 volt 3 Ah lithium) use charger R840091 which is the charger sold with the 18 volt compact or the 8 piece ultimate kit. They do say recharge only with the charger specified by the manufacturer. I charged the battery from my field generator at my job site and it took me about 20 minutes charge time (first charge). Didn't have a chance to run it down today, but maybe tomorrow to get battery use impressions. My first impressions of the 3.0 battery was almost amazement - it's so light. Not negative weight light, but not much more and almost equal to the 1.5 Ah which I had at the time in my impact. It's also a wee bit smaller than the 2.5 Ah NiCad about a half inch.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned folded up paper is nothing more than "packing". Either I get a free swap for my current charger or I duct tape the old one to my wife's head, if there's some safety issue there I guess Ridgid should have made things more clear. All joking aside, they really should have put important information like that on the outside of the package and clearly on the battery itself. I cringe at the thought of how many guys will just take the battery, use it and throw it on the wrong charger. Sure you can say they were lazy to not read all included paper work but at the same time would it have been so difficult for Ridgid to go a bit further with the caution warnings? I still maintain a program to even swap the older non lithium charger for the newer one would reduce the incidence of accidents and generate more sales and better public relations. This discussion of what charger to use has been repeated many times in the recent months and some folks are still mistaken, even with all the good information posted. Bottom line I don't want anyone to get hurt, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertCDF View Post
                              I like the idea of exchanging. Especially since I have 2 dual bays and 8 single bay chargers. I like to leave the 2 duals in the trailer. 2 singles in the truck, 2 singles in the shop, and 2 singles at home (the other ones just float around) But only 1 is lith ready and its only a single bay. In fact right now I have no clue where the lith charger is.
                              Robert, your situation is a perfect example of how important it is that Ridgid exchange those non lithium chargers. Imagine the odds of putting a lithium battery in one of the wrong chargers when you have so many? The only chance you stand of not having a serious problem would be to isolate the right charger and put warnings on the others, something to really grab your attention. Hey, good luck and stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                                I think they already have, it's in the manual. If someone is stupid enough to operate an electrical tool or device without reviewed and understanding the operating instructions and limitations provided by the manufacturer, they have no one to blame but themselves if they start a fire or damage their equipment. At some point people have to be just a little responsible for their own actions, and when they do something stupid take it on the chin like a man and not try to sue the b@lls off the manufacturer, the wholesaler, or whoever. All that (sue first, think later) does is feed the sharks, err, I mean lawyers (my apologies to any to any sharks out there, didn't mean to insult you).

If RIDGID has to publish here expanded instruction on how to charge batteries then they are admitting they did not give the tool owner the complete instruction with the tool and they would open themselves to all kinds of problems. Since they are required by UL or the CSA (and probably others) to provide complete operating instructions additional information here is pointless except to coddle those who are too lazy to look up the information on their own in the manual.
                                I'd suggest you keep your "man talk" and "lazy" talk insults to yourself. I will tell you we read every operator manual for every tool we bring in our shop. We probably have 40 Rigid battery tools with voltages ranging from 9.6, 12, 14.4 and 18 NiCad and 18LI and 24LI. Because of the shear number of batteries we might have to charge at night we have eight(8) Ridgid chargers of varying types and voltages including Twin chargers(NiCad only), 18V LI chargers(18V LI and NiCad) and the 24V LI chargers (24V LI only). We come in to the shop late at night, cold and tired. We have bag of batteries that need to be sorted out and put in the correct chargers. On some nights it is a task to remember what goes where. It is not a situation of being lazy as you so rudely stated.
                                It would have been easy enough for Ridgid to design detents into the chargers so only the correct batteries would be accepted. Because of their poor design engineering, mistakes will be made and no doubt fires and injury will be the result. It is not the fault of the customers that Ridgid chose to manufacture several different models of chargers that must be used correctly with a wide variety of batteries or dangerous situations will occur.
                                I can only assume that you have a couple of cute little tools to go with your cute little hummer and your obnoxious ignorance so its real easy to keep things straight. Sometimes it is the manufacturers that have to stop making excuses and man up to the fact that they didn't think a product development issue through as well as they should have. Now that the problem has been recognized, they should step up and be a part of the solution.
                                In the meantime people who obviously have no idea what their talking about shouldnt call others lazy and irresponsible who are working with the problem every day...Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X