Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Josh Feeback Please

Down boys. We must all play nicely. Both points are valid, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      I'd suggest you keep your "man talk" and "lazy" talk insults to yourself. I will tell you we read every operator manual for every tool we bring in our shop. We probably have 40 Rigid battery tools with voltages ranging from 9.6, 12, 14.4 and 18 NiCad and 18LI and 24LI. Because of the shear number of batteries we might have to charge at night we have eight(8) Ridgid chargers of varying types and voltages including Twin chargers(NiCad only), 18V LI chargers(18V LI and NiCad) and the 24V LI chargers (24V LI only). We come in to the shop late at night, cold and tired. We have bag of batteries that need to be sorted out and put in the correct chargers. On some nights it is a task to remember what goes where. It is not a situation of being lazy as you so rudely stated.
      It would have been easy enough for Ridgid to design detents into the chargers so only the correct batteries would be accepted. Because of their poor design engineering, mistakes will be made and no doubt fires and injury will be the result. It is not the fault of the customers that Ridgid chose to manufacture several different models of chargers that must be used correctly with a wide variety of batteries or dangerous situations will occur.
      I can only assume that you have a couple of cute little tools to go with your cute little hummer and your obnoxious ignorance so its real easy to keep things straight. Sometimes it is the manufacturers that have to stop making excuses and man up to the fact that they didn't think a product development issue through as well as they should have. Now that the problem has been recognized, they should step up and be a part of the solution.
      In the meantime people who obviously have no idea what their talking about shouldnt call others lazy and irresponsible who are working with the problem every day...Ray
      Ray, you made your point very well in my opinion. Right now the most important thing at your end would be to make the situation as safe as you can for all involved. We can hope Ridgid will step up with a fair and acceptable solution but in the mean time what can you folks do to reduce the risk of using the wrong chargers? I suggest some kind of color code on the battery and charger. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        Down boys. We must all play nicely. Both points are valid, IMO.
        My posting history is right here for anyone to see. I try to treat everone with respect even if I don't agree with their postion.
        With that said I don't take it lightly when some loudmouthed name calling bully does not treat me with respect and I won't sit quietly by. Thats how bullies operate and they will keep it up until someone calls their bluff.

Comment

My posting history is right here for anyone to see. I try to treat everone with respect even if I don't agree with their postion.
          With that said I don't take it lightly when some loudmouthed name calling bully does not treat me with respect and I won't sit quietly by. Thats how bullies operate and they will keep it up until someone calls their bluff.
          Ray, in Bob's defense he was probably referring to guys like myself who use their Ridgid tools for home or casual use. When you described the number and range of batteries and chargers you guys use for work I was impressed and truly concerned. Most homeowners or DIY'ers can't appreciate what the Pro is up against and you gave a vey good example of how big a problem this is. Maybe I'm wrong but I really think Bob was just saying we all need to take more responsibility in general. Bottom line like I said earlier, please do whatever it takes to reduce the risk of confusion. Come on Ridgid, we have a serious situation out there. Please don't drag your feet and wait for a tragedy.

Comment

The fact of the matter is Ridgid has way too many batteries and way too many chargers. Geez, even the Nicads are of varying ampages...WTF?? Good God, backwards compatibility is a hallmark of a lot of electronics today. The newer Playstations and Nintendo can play older games from past generations. Ryobi, Milwaukee, and Dewalt, to name a few, have universal chargers available that charge both Nicad and Lithium. I agree that there should be one charger for all types.....then again, Ridgid seems to have a glut of old batteries they're clearing out with the "new" special value combo kits, so maybe they're clearing out chargers as well. Heck, maybe they'll clear 'em all out so that in a few years when you take in a defective Nicad battery you'll get a Lithium battery as a replacement. Of course, they'll give you the replacement battery but not the proper charger.......and then the battery blows up in your face and, effectively, your ability to follow up on the lifetime warranty. Maybe that was their MASTER PLAN all along!!!!!!:twofinger:
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Re: Probrand, Everyone Wins!

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Robert, your situation is a perfect example of how important it is that Ridgid exchange those non lithium chargers. Imagine the odds of putting a lithium battery in one of the wrong chargers when you have so many? The only chance you stand of not having a serious problem would be to isolate the right charger and put warnings on the others, something to really grab your attention. Hey, good luck and stay safe.
              This brings up a good point !!! With people that have so many chargers, what is it you want Ridgid to do ??? replace all 7 chargers free with the purchase of a battery or two ??? What about the duel port chargers, give the customer 2 Lithium ready single port chargers in exchange ??? I don't disagree, with you, but it won't happen, or has a very very low % of happening, I could see them suppling a dumb warning sticker to put on your non-lithium ready chargers, to help identify them from the Lithium ready ones.

But how many people have multiple chargers that you think should all be changed, and how many could Ridgid change per set of batteries??? In the case of the people with say 3 chargers that you want exchanged, Ridgid would be cheaper just to hand out the batteries for free, rather than selling two batteries and replacing 3 chargers.

And what if all the chargers actually need is a single chip replaced in them to make them Lithium ready, would it not be wiser for Ridgid to offer a free chip upgrade to your existing charger, then a outright replacement ???

Like I said I don't disagree, but Ridgid has to look at the economics of it too, and that tells me they will be exploring all options, including dumb warning stickers for FREE (wow)!!!

Comment

Ok.. heres your official response...

"All Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion batteries have been designed with redundant safety features that protect the battery during charging. As such, all Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion Batteries may be safely charged on any existing Ridgid battery charger. Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Ridgid Customer Service at 1-800-4-RIDGID."

So no worries. Sorry I wasn't willing to answer this one on my own wanted a more official response.

Josh

Comment

"All Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion batteries have been designed with redundant safety features that protect the battery during charging. As such, all Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion Batteries may be safely charged on any existing Ridgid battery charger. Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Ridgid Customer Service at 1-800-4-RIDGID."

So no worries. Sorry I wasn't willing to answer this one on my own wanted a more official response.

Josh

Comment

Re: Probrand, Everyone Wins?

Josh

Comment

Josh....You need to have someone from Ridgid review some of the insanity and disinformation that is being posted on this form as fact regarding batteries and chargers. In the last hour I responded to two different posts providing dangerous misinformation.
                      One was a guy stating he "thought the Twin Max charger could be used for LI batts" and the other was a guy who stated that "all single port 18V chargers could be used for both NIcad and LI batts".
                      Somehow Ridgid needs to get the correct info out or someone is going to get hurt.
                      Ray
                      According to Josh, I'm not insane and misinformed. Good to know.

Comment

Please say that doesn't mean an end to this thread...say it ain't so.
                        Frank, Ray, Canuck...stick around...you boys are missing some marbles.
                        I respect that.

Comment

BTW, thanks for the info Josh. Hopefully this will end the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Josh
                            Josh, this is great news. So even though I have an older twin charger that doesn't have that "Lithium" decal, I can safely charger the 18 volt lithiums? Fantastic. I had also written an e-mail to Ridgid Customer Service and am awaiting a response, but this puts to rest all the fears about fires and explosions. Thanks very much for following through.

Comment

Josh
                              Thats nice. What about this responce to an email sent to Ridgid.
                              Here is a copy of the response that I received from Ridgid Tech Support regarding the dual port chargers presently on sale at HD. If you read the packaging, it states that it will charge all Ridgid batteries.
                              "No, it sounds like you are describing one of the NiCad chargers, they were marketed like that long before the Lithium Ion series products came out. The only way I could say for sure is if you can provide the part number for the charger, which is on the serial number data plate on the charger.

Lithium batteries require a charger with Lithium Ion battery chargering capability. NiCad chargers are not compatible with Lithium Ion batteries."

Best regards,

Tom C.
                              Consumer Response
                              One World Technologies, Inc.

Now what do we do??????? Ray
                              Last edited by roadrashray; 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Josh
                                Thats nice. What about this responce to an email sent to Ridgid.
                                Here is a copy of the response that I received from Ridgid Tech Support regarding the dual port chargers presently on sale at HD. If you read the packaging, it states that it will charge all Ridgid batteries.
                                "No, it sounds like you are describing one of the NiCad chargers, they were marketed like that long before the Lithium Ion series products came out. The only way I could say for sure is if you can provide the part number for the charger, which is on the serial number data plate on the charger.

Lithium batteries require a charger with Lithium Ion battery chargering capability. NiCad chargers are not compatible with Lithium Ion batteries."

Best regards,

Tom C.
                                Consumer Response
                                One World Technologies, Inc.

Now what do we do??????? Ray
                                Last edited by roadrashray; 01-31-2008, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X